iheartibuki's Renders

Showcase your XNALara artwork or anything else you want to show off here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Love2Raid

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: iheartibuki's Renders

Post by MisterHentai »

You still on about their expressionless faces again? :LOL:

Sure the story cutscenes could do with more work, but I'll reiterate what I once said before, it's typical Japanese and Japanese videogame acting (Very exposition style focused), and even other games like Sega's Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza series, something that is very story driven with ALOT of face work is still very standard in many parts.

And when it comes to actual the actual in-game fighting, they actually have expressions which you will notice if you play about with the replay and photo mode stuff.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

LOL yeah I'm a bit fixated on that. :P

If you look at my comment today on dA you'll see where I'm coming from. I understand that there's some cultural differences at work here, but I'm just not convinced enough. My problem is primarily with the character focus during power blows, the faces look flat in a way that smashing your opponent into a helicopter, tank or laser field is effortless just like that. :|
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Well unfortunately it won't change and it's a case of :deal:. And it's a point not just for this game, but for PLENTY of other Japanese games too, past, present and future. So to single out DOA5, hmmm yeah. :snathink:

Quite honestly, Japanese acting is pretty bad in general especially from a Western point of view, and it's a very common critque. So yes, culture differences what not, it is something that you would have to appreciate or understand the reasons behind it, which comes from their historical context too. Much of Japanese acting is still based upon and stuck in their old traditional theatre ways, so there is alot of particular stiffness and oddities to their range of emotions (Again from a Western observation) because as I mentioned before, the exposition style is a common method amongst it all.

Now if you wonder what has all that got to do with videogames, well, it is Japan, it still is a massive influence within their methods used so many of those techniques apply across much of their entertainment media, whether it's live-action, animation, or digital.

You also have to remember and this is something so many people tend to forget and overlook, the DOA series is still very much heavily Anime-inspired, so those who complain about the "doll-like" nature of them, well, that's a big reason right there! It comes as part of that visual aesthetic that is very common amongst nearly all Japanese games that use this style. It's their own unique thing afterall. And this ain't really a realistic graphics game either no matter how much it tries to blend in or half-way point some of it, and it something which also applies to many of their other games. So to have "realistic expressions" in what is essentially still an Anime game, well it's not going to work. The "Moe" characteristic is part of it too. So the expressions in the game already and for the females especially, balance and work towards that visual trait for a reason.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

And deal with it is what I do, and how I do that is I posted the pic, lol. :)

Anyway, I'm not gonna drag this on because doing so and trying to convince you to see my point of view is creating threads upon threads of posts (of probably nonsense) that would be similar to what I would've created have I decided to engage Mr. DOAfanboi on dA, seeing you're "Mr. DOAFanboi" yourself :). I admit I get this way too when I see you or anyone trying to criticize a game like Tekken or anything that Bamco does because I'm a fan of the game and the company, although I do realize some of the mistakes that they do sometimes and yes, Tekken has its share of bad stiff acting too, and characters oftentimes overdo it. The characters in the games range from trying to be cool in a Yakuza kind of way to being cutesy anime (Alisa, Lili, etc.) which alludes to your Japanese culture influence on video games, but at least they've moved towards inserting a more international flavor to them by letting most of the characters speak their native languages in the game, which involves some form of acting one way or another. And to me in order to something to have more international feel and following you have to have something that is relatable, and I believe that unless DOA or any other series from Japan move toward that direction, they will always be cult followings at best. :)

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's not so much as being "DOA fanboy" but more part of the legitmate reasons behind it's aesthetic, and really, because it is so Japanese and how common it is elsewhere within their media, so it's not just this game.

And please do carry on, I wouldn't mind seeing the discussion behind it all.

And honestly, it doesn't matter how much international flavour they try to add, because there will always be the mannerisms and subtleness to show it's still so Japanese even to the point of sighing and cringing if one is so used to it.

It is interesting and nice to break the boundaries to see the realms of what is possible, but you still have to look at the complete and overall aesthetic to see if it works or not. Another thing to contend with is the issue of "Uncanny Valley" because if it is too much or too little, it just looks wrong and can be creepy as hell, which to be honest is how I personally feel about that Marie Rose smile. It's still a great expression to show what could be done, but fitting in with the overall look and her own characteristics in particular, she kinda got a sinister killer doll vibe going there. :LOL:

Remember how much flak Hitomi's original facial design got? If that was such a problem first hand, then you can't imagine where else it would lie too, especially when finding the right emotions and expressions to work with the entire design.
Dank Buttsen

Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

iheartibuki wrote:Resurrecting my art thread, for what it's worth, heh!

I have to say, I'll hand it to the modelers at TN for creating highly flexible facial bones and weights (even though they can't do it in-game :LOL:). Now, if only they can properly weight paint those glutes....
Aww, she looks so cute. :kawaii:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

^ Thankies! :hug:

Though your comment looked like:
"Aww, she looks cute!" :kawaii:

:no:
:LOL:

Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

:lol: :LOL:
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

Why would you need to weight paint glutes?
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

Download a DOA model and raise any thigh as if kicking forward, you'll see what I mean. ;)