3DS MAX Questions...

Request tools to extract models and other assets from video games.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, semory

thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

3DS MAX Questions...

Post by thePWA »

Yeah this might be directed at Runa but anyone with fair knowledge of 3DS Max please feel free to chime in...

I'm trying to set the textures for a model with 3ds max 2011 (just the diffuse, I want to see if the textures are set properly before exporting to fbx) but for the life of me can't get past the Material button... help!
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: 3DS MAX Questions...

Post by semory »

Under "Maps" section, select "Diffuse Color" and click on "None" button if it is not textured. You set the map from there. Then make sure perspective window is setup for hardware texturing (I'm on my laptop right now so can't check but if I remember right it's like Maya and Hardware Texturing is not enabled by default).
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

semory wrote:Under "Maps" section, select "Diffuse Color" and click on "None" button if it is not textured. You set the map from there. Then make sure perspective window is setup for hardware texturing (I'm on my laptop right now so can't check but if I remember right it's like Maya and Hardware Texturing is not enabled by default).
Thanks man but I can't find the Maps section... it has a Material Editor button though with Maps and Material (no Diffuse Color on the Maps Standard dropdown but it has Bitmap and Normal Bump) but when I go as deep as "Assign Material to Selection" it doesn't show up on the perspective window (actually the Assign button is unclickable).
Runa

Post by Runa »

The material editor should appear if you press the 'M' key. In order to apply a texture on a mesh you have to double click on the material (left column, it should appear as a grey sphere). Drag the texture from your folder to the Mat editor and 'link' it to the 'Diffuse' option :D

If you have problems let me know and I'll show you a screen. It's quite complicated to explain but really easy to do!
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

Runa wrote:The material editor should appear if you press the 'M' key. In order to apply a texture on a mesh you have to double click on the material (left column, it should appear as a grey sphere). Drag the texture from your folder to the Mat editor and 'link' it to the 'Diffuse' option :D

If you have problems let me know and I'll show you a screen. It's quite complicated to explain but really easy to do!
Thanks for the offer. I eventually gave up since I found a blender workaround. 3DSMax is so hard to use.
Runa

Post by Runa »

On the contrary, I think Blender is more difficult XD but just because I'm used to 3DS :D glad you solved, btw.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."