MaterialInstanceCostant files

Discussion about ripping models and other assets from video games.

Moderators: Runa, Love2Raid, semory

Runa

MaterialInstanceCostant files

Post by Runa »

I was thinking about those .mat files included in every Unreal Engine game. I was wondering if there was a way to somehow read them or, even better, eventually convert them in .tga or any other image format. I actually never understood how to use them in 3D Studio Max, do you have any idea, guys?
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
PoophairJones
Custom Rank: Baebsae

Re: MaterialInstanceCostant files

Post by PoophairJones »

Runa wrote:I was thinking about those .mat files included in every Unreal Engine game. I was wondering if there was a way to somehow read them or, even better, eventually convert them in .tga or any other image format. I actually never understood how to use them in 3D Studio Max, do you have any idea, guys?
those files are files for the unreal engine to know how to adjust the textures together^^
they kinda include how much the normal maps should be visible, how the spec value is and whatever with other additional maps xD
I don't even know if it's possible to import them to 3ds max >< and doubt it will be possible to get a .tga of it because itz just a setup
Runa

Re: MaterialInstanceCostant files

Post by Runa »

Uhm, so they don't hide any diffuse texture? XD because sometimes many diffuse textures seem to be missing in the files. Also, if you load a model with the Actor X importer, the program asks for a texture name that only a .mat file has. But yeah, lol, if they are useless, then meh D: I guess there are different types of .mat files, since it's a format you can read about on the web.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."