Textmod stuff

Discussion about ripping models and other assets from video games.

Moderators: Runa, Love2Raid, semory

Runa

Textmod stuff

Post by Runa »

I am trying Textmod for some stuff, but I'm quite confused when it comes to transparent textures.
I have no problem editing and packing ripped textures, but I am quite confused when it comes to invisible parts. All I know is that you can modify an alpha channel painting in black the parts you don't want to appear ingame. But does this work also for textures that by default don't have any alpha channel? I had actually tried creating a new channel myself... filling the selected part in black (the one that I want to be invisible) and saving it, but the problem is that once I load the game, that texture part appears white, not transparent at all :\ am I doing something wrong or is it just impossible for maps without an existing alpha channel? Trying that in XNALara, just to be sure I did it properly, it seems to work...
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: Textmod stuff

Post by ProtocolX27 »

It may not be as simple as adding an alpha channel. That's where the render groups come into play. If an engine isn't expecting to render something with transparency adding the channel will unlikely produce the desire result. :(

I don't know the context, or what would be involved, but my suspicion is that it would require updating what type of texture the engine is expecting in the particular context. :)
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

Yeah, the result depends... not every game is the same. For example for Tomb Raider Anniversary and Legend, you can make Lara's whole model invisible ('ghost' mod, haha xD), but in Underworld you can only do that with parts that already use transparency in some way (for example eyelashes, hair).
Runa

Post by Runa »

I wanted to see if it was possible to make a shirtless Dante in the game as well :pi:
The model has a full mesh under the piece of cloth (that's why I could make that version for XNA lol), so I thought it was possible to remove it. I read someone could make the hood of his jacket invisible, but I don't know how. The coat, just like his shirt, doesn't use an alpha channel by default. Adding it to the vest, like I said, it appears in white... no matters what I do :\ but if someone could make a part of the coat invisible, I guess it's actually possible to add an alpha? If yes I would really like to know how. Not only for Dante lol :P but also because I wanted to mod Mass Effect.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Runa, are you working with a console mod or PC?

PC mods are more easily executed. Console mods are more of a nuisance, but sometimes have more support depending on the nature of the game. I think consoles can function like pc's in modding capability once modded, but there are sometimes still patches and things to make the game engine work with statistical data changes sometimes.
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Its PC, because she was using Texmod :) It would probably be possible if you could edit the package of the model but I dont think anyone here knows how to do that xD
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Yeah, I think that would be the only way :\ pity alpha channel doesn't work. Editing a package is totally possible from what I've read... but I don't think the process is too fast nor easy >_<
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

Did this person ever upload the mod?
Maybe you could examine the textures to get some info about how it was done.

I've also read some things about using the colour 'magenta', but I think that's for older games.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Nope, he only said that. Everyone says that if a texture doesn't have a native alpha channel, than textmod will just show it in white :\ but default coat, as far as I know, doesn't have an alpha channel either so I am a bit confused lol.