QuickBMS/Python Research Thread

Discussion about ripping models and other assets from video games.

Moderators: Runa, Love2Raid, semory

Desorah

QuickBMS/Python Research Thread

Post by Desorah »

Greetings...

Recently (1 month ago) I started to learn how game programming works :) but the real thing I want to learn Is how to extract models and Import them :) I know that there is 2 Basic steps :
1) Extracting the file formats from Archives.
2) Importing those File formats with a maxscript or python Into a 3d software.

(It looks easy by saying but Its very hard by doing :( )

I really love this and I'm ready to dedicate plenty of time for this.....so here's the questions that I didn't get any response to them on other places...

1) How to write a quickBMS script to extract those file formats from archives ? I know Chrrox made some "QUICKBMS GUIDES" but they are only for simple Archives....anyway will those guides steps can be also applied to complex archives ? and is there any tutorials on net or forums because I can't find any...:(

2)Which one is better and easy to write scripts to import models ? Python for Noesis or Maxscript for autodesk 3ds max ? again chrrox made a python tutorial but its only for basic easy formats :( and mariokart did a maxscript guide but its also for simple formats like PMD.....an,d I found many good python sites...are those gonna help me with writing scripts ?
plus there is no school that teaches this kind of things :( so I wonder how some great porters like "deronar" learned this and where...already asked him but Its no use....:( Also on xentax I can't ask because you need to donate to register....:(

anyway I think that's it....hope somebody will shed some light on this thread...It will not only help me but It will help a lot of people on other forums aswell :XD: I Just want to learn :D thanks again :) sorry for any typos and for the long text :herp:

P.S : If this thread is in the wrong place feel free to move it....thanks for reading this :)
Last edited by Desorah on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: I would Love to Learn This...

Post by semory »

It's in right place. I think deronar's a better programmer than he is a porter lol. I wrote a Python tutorial covering Tekken Hybrid on Xentax (wow, 2 years FLEW BY).

Anyways, my thoughts/rants on this:

There is a school that teaches this stuff. It's called Computer Science. Get a computer science degree first, then worry about this stuff. Live your life, as extracting models is BORING. That's why there are so few people who are extracting models from more than one game (chrrox, mr. adults, mariusz, and myself, for example). The problem is that for each game you have to write new scripts. I write about on average 2,000+ lines of new code for each game, and that is a lot of code. And for what? For nothing. It doesn't help me get a job, doesn't make me any money, doesn't attract any girls, etc. etc. It's time-consuming too... each game can take a few weeks to a few months out of your life. For example, I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED SLEEPING DOGS YET HAHAHAHAHA and it's been two months already since I started.

Therefore, I don't recommend people learning this stuff from scratch. It is too time-consuming, even if you already know what you're doing. Not to discourage you or anything, but there are better things to do with your life than this. This is why I always tell the porters here that if they have a choice between porting a model and going out and having fun, go out and have fun. Screw porting models; it's not as important as other things in life.

So do Computer Science first. Try to get into Al Akhawayn University's Computer Science program. It will get you opportunities, it will get you a job; it will get you money; it will get you laid; it will get you a wife; then you can have lots and lots of kids. Just don't let the wife catch you molesting DOA5 models OK? he he he.

So now that I got that out of the way, if you really want to learn this:

1.) Learn Python. Don't worry about model extraction yet, just learn Python first.
2.) Learn to read and write binary files using Python.
3.) Learn to read binary and hexadecimal.
4.) Learn what big and little endian are.
5.) Learn a little Direct3D 10 or 11 or OpenGL 4.0 (vertex buffers, index buffers, vertex semantics, input layouts, input assembly, etc.).
6.) Then learn to recognize what all the data in 5.) looks like.
7.) Now try extracting models.
Desorah

Post by Desorah »

semory wrote: 1.) Learn Python. Don't worry about model extraction yet, just learn Python first.
2.) Learn to read and write binary files using Python.
3.) Learn to read binary and hexadecimal.
4.) Learn what big and little endian are.
5.) Learn a little Direct3D 10 or 11 or OpenGL 4.0 (vertex buffers, index buffers, vertex semantics, input layouts, input assembly, etc.).
6.) Then learn to recognize what all the data in 5.) looks like.
7.) Now try extracting models.
Ok Thanks for the reply :) Now let's get this started :) I know this is really BORING but I have nothing to do in my free time neither have a hobby :D plus any good sites about Python you know ? :XD: I would like to get an info from a pro like you :)
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

i have several books on python. some books are really large but it is the best way to learn the basics. if you cant afford a book, yarr one lol. there is this place called avaxhome, for poor peeps.

once you get started, if you have any trouble following the book (or online tutorial), ask away.

really, books are best. online stuff is too random, having you need to search from one web site to another for information.
Desorah

Post by Desorah »

semory wrote:i have several books on python. some books are really large but it is the best way to learn the basics. if you cant afford a book, yarr one lol. there is this place called avaxhome, for poor peeps.

once you get started, if you have any trouble following the book (or online tutorial), ask away.

really, books are best. online stuff is too random, having you need to search from one web site to another for information.
Thanks we would need every Info to get into this stuff :) plus DAZ and I are in the same age and both of us wants to wrap our head Into this :XD: If I need something I will surely ask right away ! :)
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

who says i wanna do dis. i dont have teh time, but i would like to lol.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

oh i didnt know eaglespare was so young hahaha
Desorah

Post by Desorah »

semory wrote:oh i didnt know eaglespare was so young hahaha
Yes lol I'm 15 :)
ObscureMemories
Custom Rank: I'm a lil' bit Super!

Post by ObscureMemories »

not to sound rude.

But I thought you knew how to port and such. that's what you always said on your profile. Those model pictures was from someone else??
Look at me! I'm on a high horse!

Desorah

Post by Desorah »

No those are my images but the models are from other sites :)
ObscureMemories wrote:not to sound rude.

But I thought you knew how to port and such. that's what you always said on your profile. Those model pictures was from someone else??