Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

Kagero

Re: Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Post by Kagero »

Nice- finally a vid to tide me over. ;)

The video shows King, Paul, Lili, Marshall Law, Asuka, Steve, Alisa, Lars- however the game footage and stillshots also show Bryan, Jin, Baek, Marduk and Jack-6. I'm also willing to bet Heihachi, Hwoarang, Nina, Xiayou and Yoshimitsu will also be included, as they have not been excluded from any Tekken game since they made their debuts.

The game itself looks like Tekken 6, with some new mechanics- the vid description mentions "new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts". I can assume this includes the phase-step that was displayed in 1:45 of the vid. I hope that it's some sort of just-frame timed parry, and not some special move that you'll have to end up paying DLC money for. Also at 1:47, it looked like Law threw out a fast distance-covering kick that had similar phase-like motion trails, which Paul had sidestepped and punished with a (similar motion-trailed) deathfist. The vid doesn't show the status bar HUDs, so maybe these Special and Critical Arts will introduce an EX-like bar system to the game.

I am still curious as to what the actual profitable business model for Revolution will be, though..

Could they charge for additional characters, or special moves (such as these new phase-step Arts?) In April of last year, when we had the whole fiasco of Street Fighter x Tekken having DLC characters which were locked-on-disc that you needed to pay for, Harada at the time commented that characters and their move sets are essential chess pieces necessary to the competitive aspect of the game, and that Namco would never sell them individually. Now, I don't know if this applies to this situation, since the game base is itself free?

In 1:49 of the video, they show "fight money" being used to power-up your fighter's attributes. If this "fight money" is their microtransaction profit system, then it's a pay-to-win type situation where the paying player will have an advantage over the free player. However, if this "fight money" is obtained by winning matches, then then the more you win, the bigger your advantage will be in subsequent matches, so I really don't see the logic in that either.

I'm hoping that the microtransaction system will be limited to purchasing character aesthetics (outfits, rage auras, accessories, etc..). However based on my observations in online TTT2 matches, an overwhelming majority of players aren't even interested in using the already-free Decal system, so I don't see something like cool outfits being a great profit idea. I guess we'll find out soon enough!
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Is this supposed to be a proper sequel or more of an updated TTT2 / T6?

Either way it explains DOA's free to play approach since both franchises like competing with each other...
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

It's also a way of fighting games testing the waters too seeing as how big MOBAs are with the F2P system and the whole e-sports thing too.

It's more of a side game if anything. The graphics of TTT2 but regular solo play of standard Tekken I think.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Makes sense, definitely a whole lot of water testing goin on right now, :lol:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

So Tekken Revolution is.......interesting.

Quite limited in it's options unless you want to spend real money to play longer and all that, but it seems to be working fine for what it is.

Good thing Arcade mode is incredibly easy, though grinding in Tekken is always a chore.

It's nice that it also loads pretty fast, and I swear the image quality in the graphics is slightly sharper too.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Im enjoying Tekken Rev. I dont get what the premium tickets are for tho :P
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Premium Ticket or Coin is to access and play any mode you want.

After a bit of time in this and a few games with Dazzille (Running out our available Battle Coins), I really don't think this F2P model is all that good.

Sure, the coins get replenished for free after a certain time duration, or you could just buy more with real money, which still is quite cheap, but overall, still can't help but feel this game and it's F2P structure is very restricted and pretty much forces you to pay if you are impatient.

The idea of lite RPG leveling up system should not be for fighting games. Now if it was for a dedicated mode, akin to say Soulcalibur's special weapons mode, then that would be fine, but to have it mandatory at all times, no thanks.

The lack of other modes is a real bummer too. No offline VS or even Practice mode. Maybe they will be implemented in a future patch update, but for now, not a very good model.

Stick to T6 or TTT2 if you already have them, and very obvious why you should. The only real benefit of TR is how quickly it loads, that's about it.

Or wait until DOA5U F2P model, it seems substantially a whole lot better than this.
Dank Buttsen

Kagero

Post by Kagero »

Revolution seems to bring Tekken back to more simplified roots. There's no more bound system, some moves are safer, getting up is safer, they removed the precision requirements from just-frame moves, etc.. It feels strange having to revert back to Tekken 5 juggles!

The whole coin system I'm still a bit iffy on. If they are trying to appeal to new players, having them get beat up and quickly be unable to play further (without spending real money) can be discouraging. Couple that with the lack of a Training Mode, and I can't see it not bringing many new players to the series. However, this coin system is a throw-back to the classic arcade culture- Winner stays, Loser pays. Back when arcades were popular, you had to spend a lot of money getting beat up by better players in order to improve your skills. However, I think that today with consoles replacing arcades, people are just not willing to play-per-game anymore.

The game seems really not-finished at all. It's lacking a lot of features- no offline VS. play.. no training mode.. no customizations.. 8 characters and only 4 available for unlocking so far.. It seems like it's still early beta- the MOTD when you log in mentions that they're still working on the hit effects for the game. I have some hope though that over time things will get better as they add in new functionality and tweak the game- Harada mentioned today that he is working on adding in the Training Mode.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah no wonder the game felt a bit.....off. Got so used to TTT2 that seeing certain moves whiff and not connect well, I thought something was wrong.

The classic arcade culture analogy is a good way of putting it and certainly makes some sense in the way it works.

But yeah, unfortunately in today's world, the gaming trends, demands and of course the Internet, it just wouldn't work all that well, especially for the casuals that never had that scene.

Hopefully Practice/Training mode will be implemented soon, the fact that was missing initially was quite a dumb move. You have the Command List that can be accessed, but only in Arcade mode and by wasting a coin just to get in there.
Dank Buttsen