NiOh (Le Samurai Dank Souls!)

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: NiOh (Le Samurai Dank Souls!)

Post by ProtocolX27 »

:think: Well if that is the Japan design processing of always being reactive that explains why successes are so hit or miss.

Without playing a Souls game but knowing how those, NG and other styles of games that flaunt challenge, I tend to assume the completion relies upon resolving patterns which suggests that developers may have specific strategies in mind for things like boss completion. There are multiple ways of doing things, but when bosses are so rigid in process there are going to be some strategies that the developers favor. Like I was saying there was one boss that katanas & kusari game were useless and I had to use a spear. That would have been bad news if I didn't have a spear. I'm partially concerned, that if I don't have a particular set of consumables or the right power weapon, that completion is an exercise in futility. I had that happen in Toukiden. I played all game as an archer, nearly neglecting other weapon types. I reached a point that I could not even touch the post story mission bosses. I put the game down and never returned. I'm hoping that Nioh isn't the same. Ninja Gaiden's weapon subset was so small and there were only so many consumables that you could by without grinding. Nioh has so many stats, elemental differences that bosses may be only subject to a certain stat and not just outwitting a pattern.

Are stances & weapons purely an element or player preference or are there some that will matter at some points in the game? If so, some players could get really screwed over if they invested everything into one stat/weapon and then hit a wall some possible tactic requiring another.
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

It's not impossible to get by with as few weapon styles as possible, but being this type of game, it will make it much harder upon yourself if you do not adapt and switch around depending on the situation. Tons of other obvious factors could affect as well, like your own strength power, elemental attributes, spells etc.

That also brings to the Stances as well since as that is an important part and the most deep and unique feature exclusive to this game. Along with whatever weapon style you use, it affects the way you approach the situation along with your attack or defensive options also.

High = Massive attack and breaking power but at the cost of high stamina usage and incredibly limited blocking and evasion.
Mid = The obvious balanced one where it is also the best for blocking defense and therefore keeping front facing the opponent at all times.
Low = Fast attacks but low damage and low stamina usage, but because of that, the best one for evasion as you can move about fast and getting behind your opponent.

Facing against a group of enemies or some fucker singular enemy or boss with giant AOE attack, you will obviously need to stay on Low to keep on your toes to evade or get in, then switch appropriately to attack, debuff, whatever depending on your own weapon/class strengths.

Getting into High or Mid stance to then really shank an enemy is pretty satisfying but it needs to be timed right and don't get too overextending, remembering to also Ki Pulse and maintain stamina for other options i.e. getting out/blocking etc.

For that one boss with the need for a spear? Was it because it was difficult to get in and you needed range? Or perhaps more deeper level factors like attack stun, animations and cancelling etc?

I mean in the actual Souls games, there are masochists that do complete nekkid runs or just punching the enemy to death, so again, not impossible, it's just making it harder on themselves, having more much work and figuring things out ways to do so.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

:think:

As long of all that is there to serve a purpose of variety and not explicit strategy, I guess I'm okay with it. It feels like there's so much to micro manage at times though. I'm starting to move through stuff semi regularly. Hit 'n Run mechanics work most of the time, but yeah of course they can take longer due to low damage output.

Regarding the boss, it was the first non yokai boss. Everything I did with the kusari gama got blocked or put me in stun. For some reason the spear was enough to catch the bosses back dash and allowed for grapple setups. Usually I can catch an enemy as they start to attack, but the timing was way different or ineffective altogether with the same strategy. In case the game does pitch scenarios like that I haven't really commited to a particular set of traits out of concern for the eventual need for a particular weapon, or tactic. I'm around mid 40's with 11 points in every skill trait.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Tachibana Muneshige?

All I remember was dodging alot to deplete his Ki, then trying to bum rushing in attacking in Mid or High stance. I used a sword for this, but spear is also very useful.

Since you are more fond of the kusarigama style, I take it you are going more for a ninja class build? If that's the case, it actually makes it alot harder when it comes to boss fights especially (Squishie class of course), so you would have to invest more on dexterity and Ninja or Onmyo Magic skills. Such is the way of the ninja to rely on hit and run tactics.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Yep that one. Didn't know if spoilers mattered or not :XD: I would let him sword dash into a pillar and hit him as he tried to back dash, was only way I could keep from getting waxed.

I'm not sure if I'm going full ninja build mostly cuz I essentially have no idea what I"m doing :LOL: (sort of) I didn't even realize there was caltrops until doing the Adept Ninja training. Yeah, I guess I am squishie, but with enough pattern deduction, I'm still mustering my way through stupid stuff. I don't level up as quick now, so my upgrade choices are more sparse. I have put more into power up, weakness and some elemental stuff. Still trying to get a handle on that. I am using Medium Armor though rather than light. I had to use heavy to get past Hino, she was the first I had the most trouble with while trying to learning about elements. The paralysis and her speed was killer until I broke the pattern down.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

I've only reached as far as past a certain amphibian boss, who will BS you. You want to talk about spears? This one will fuck you up big time. :evillaugh: :LOL:

Favourite boss is of course, the Snow Woman, because :dats: . Now that's a model so far from the game I really want. :mis: :LOL:
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I've seen both via trailers, but so far I've only finished the tentacoo sea blob That one took the least amount of tries so far, although I had some random BS like getting one shotted a few times when I'm trying to recover my guardian spirit, or self rolling off the dock when trying to dodge. :rage: :LOL:

The game certainly is shiny, but yeah haven't seen many :lick: models yet.... but I did like the one who fought cooperatively prior to the tachibana fight.
raidergale
Porter
Custom Rank: Marie's my waifu kthx

Post by raidergale »

I shall randomly pop up here even though I don't have the game :LOL:
Yuki Onna model = :dats: :yes:
I also quite like the Jorogumo, it's creepy :LOL:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

So Tenkai being Akechi Mitsuhidedoesn't surprise me too much since that is generally a very popular myth to use in Sengoku media (Samanosuke in the Onimusha games dons that figure as well), but one that is a really fascinating and surprising inclusion is the Obsidian Samurai boss i.e. look up "Yasuke". :o

Had this game been set much earlier in the period (Which would've made a different game and main character altogether any way), they'd probably also go with the "Uesugi Kenshin was a woman" myth as well. :lol:

But then given that Hanzo is already dead for few years by time the game's current time is set (Unless it's actually his son), it wouldn't have been out of the realm of the fantasy history if they bought back many other famous figures.
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I think I'm done with this game. :rage: I've tried to beat Ice @#$*)(#$ over 3 sittings now, and the cheese factor is annoying me to the point of irritation that I don't like having with games anymore. I don't feel like exiting the level, or grinding for more crap. I'm somewhere between 54-58, and I don't have any relative ninja/onmyo traits that I can boost or have points for. The next tier is still locked anyway.

I have Sloth (but only 2), Weakness (4), a Kusari gama with Fire, but only 5 Elixirs. Nothing I try is enough especially once she's in her 2nd mode. I've tried with multiple stances. I've tried katanas. I don't feel like playing 5 times in a row just to max out rifle & arrow ammo. I had with in a sliver a couple times, but I'm tired of putting myself through the aggravation.