Suikoden series reviews and previews

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

rballad
Custom Rank: Om Donal

Suikoden series reviews and previews

Post by rballad »

i like reviewing the games i play on steam. since there is not yet a single suikoden game on steam, i will write quick and short reviews here

Suikoden is a game where you build an army 108 characters to fight the bad guys. the setting is usually in a medieval kingdom

Suikoden 2
This game is the ultimate fantasy where you can play as Dracula, nobunaga oda, Kratos, luffy, donald duck, azuma (yakitate Japan). The story is dark because there is human sacrifices and assasinations.
about the villain. there is a reason why disney make great distinction between good and evil mostly by making the bad guys either ugly or scary, otherwise their movies would be too dark for children. this game choose to temper the dark story by making the villain an insane lunatic.

Suikoden 4
fans blame this game for ruining the franchise. i can see why
-no superheroes. i can no longer recruit donald duck, kratos or azuma. Image an x-men movie where there were no superpowers
-no political conflicts, no assasinations. the game feels more like final fantasy game

Suikoden tactics
the reason why i hate this game is personal. what if nintendo told you that Samus was not a solitary bounty hunter, but a part of a team. that it was Adam malkovich who killed kraid, ridley and mother brain in supermetroid.

Suikoden 5 (preview)
To tell you the truth i was put off by the royal family who look like they came from a girl romance manga. I only bought this game because it was at discount in a video game store near my home. i am going to speedrun this game in my next long holiday
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Suikoden series reviews and previews

Post by MisterHentai »

I only played II and III but since that was very long time ago, I can barely remember anything about them :lol: . Other than that the original creator leaving after III, so that could explain why IV onwards has mixed receptions.

I don't even know what's happening with this franchise since then. I'm guessing mostly handheld or mobile phone versions for the past decade or so. :LOL:

Given Konami's current state, this series is good as dead, or they'll just milk it on phone and pachinko BS. :LOL:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
rballad

Post by rballad »

MisterHentai wrote: I don't even know what's happening with this franchise since then. I'm guessing mostly handheld or mobile phone versions for the past decade or so. :LOL:
Suikoden 5 flopped big time. only sold around 350k worldwide. it seems that the story was too dark because there were too many political assasinations. moreover as the cost of game development getting more and more expensive,the cost of creating 108 characters is too prohibitive
rballad

Post by rballad »

why i like ff8
-to this date, i have never played a jrpg game where a character moved on and found someone else

-it touched the subject of democracy. Rinoa attempted to influence political scene. Her inability to convince the massess in this first attempt made this scene memorable. espesially it was in a fun spirited way
rballad

Post by rballad »

Tales of the Abbys
The main character doesn't know what money is. I turn off my playstation 2

Tales Zestiria
i have been watching japanese cartoons and playing japanese games for years.This is the first time that the MC is advised not to concern himself with other people's problems. the writer is trying hard to show that this not a cliche japane game.
The party has no adult members, this is critical to the plot. because if there is a single competent adult character who is able to think clearly, the story could be finished in 15 hours.