Gaming PC - good value for money?

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Gaming PC - good value for money?

Post by Love2Raid »

Hi guys,

I am planning to get a desktop for gaming/rendering etc.
Could you guys check this link and help me figure out which one is the best value for money? :herp:
https://www.mediamarkt.nl/nl/category/_ ... -container
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Gaming PC - good value for money?

Post by MisterHentai »

It really depends on the max budget you are willing to spend. :lol:

And :sweetjesus: the choices on there. All the typical ugly "GAMER PC" cases. :fdat: :LOL:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Love2Raid

Post by Love2Raid »

Oops right. :LOL:
Max Ôé¼1500. Yeah most of them are quite hideous. :lol:
But it's what is on the inside that counts... :pi: :XD:
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

I dunno what currency the site uses, but I would think that a budget between 800-1000 USD, for example, would suffice for both gaming and rendering.
I myself would recommend having an equivalent of i5 or above and at least 8 gigs of RAM. Think I have DDR3 RAM, but all of these look like they are DDR4 which can be better in some cases.

Not well versed in processor power and what GHz should you aim for so look for that around the web.

And yeah, most of the cases are fuck ugly. :LOL:
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
Love2Raid

Post by Love2Raid »

Ôé¼ obviously. :XD:

True, those really expensive ones are overkill, I don't need that. RAM and graphics card are important right? I think I'll check other websites as well, hopefully the cases will be less of an eyesore. :lol:
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

I would more say CPU + RAM is important (mainly cuz both games and rendering rely on CPU more than anything else), altho graphic card is also important (Mainly cuz GPU rendering is alao a thing now).

RAM is important for running multiple processes, so nowadays you need at least 8 GB.

Also if you wanna try fiddling with hardware, look into overcloking. I dont delve into that stuff cuz I dont wanna fuck anything up, but it has its benefits regarding performance.
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
Love2Raid

Post by Love2Raid »

Hmmm :think:

OK, thanks for the info. :hug:
Yeah not gonna bother with overclocking. Don't wanna blow anything up and get accused of terrorism. :fdat:

j/k
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

i7's would be great for the rendering/photoshop side of things if you can afford it. Otherwise a high i5 is still great and is the mainstream choice for gaming.

Going by that budget and from that website alone, a low-to-mid i7 CPU, 16GB RAM and GTX 1070 8GB is easy.

So yeah definitely look around elsewhere for better and cheaper options.

AMD's Ryzen would be another great choice in the current scheme of things too, but just have to see the range of options first.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

Post by Vonman »

are you buying a set PC or building from scratch? i would recommend building one (it'll save you tons of money and you can opt for better performance too) most of these set branded PC have some mumbo jumbo fancy stuff to their name that sort of bloated their price for what theyre really worth :lol: :pi:

CPU is the most important. i would recommend going for AMD Ryzen as opposed to intel i7 due to:
-Intel chipset are very costly
-Intel chipset are a pain in the butt to upgrade since they use different sockets on your motherboard. AMD uses standardized socket, for instance, recent gen AMD processor like Ryzen all uses the same AM4 socket. so in the long run when you wanna upgrade to a more powerful processor, you wont have to spend extra looking for a new motherboard with corresponding socket.
-performance-wise, theyre pretty close. i havent use ryzen yet but from the review its powerful.

for graphic cards, i recommend nvidia if youre gonna use it for rendering too. AMD drivers are pretty crappy in that department, and blender has wider support for nvidia cards.

buy an SSD drive. 64 - 128 GB should do and make it your master disk where you put windows. then get a normal hard disk as slave where you store your stuff like games, etc.

As roxas said 8GB should be enough to start for RAM

Besides... building your own PC can be a very fun project :LOL: and itll add some personal value to the PC too ;)
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Building your own PC is only worth it if you have the time and dedication to keep up with the technical knowhow to handle and maintain each part for the years to come. Otherwise if something goes wrong, it just causes more delays and issues to sort out. For most definitely likely a casual like Shandeh :P , sticking with pre-built systems is the sensible option. At least you are guaranteed full system warranty/insurance as well.

The socket hassles between both Intel and AMD is a misnomer. They are as bad as each other. Only reason you would think AMD gets a pass on that is because they had been sticking to the same generational sockets (AM2/AM3 era) for years because they were so behind and only now are they starting to get their act together. You would still have to do with things like flash BIOS upgrades to support the newer CPUs of their time. With Socket AM4 and TR4 for Ryzen, again, it's not hugely different. It's easier for sure, but no side is perfect.
Dank Buttsen