X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Post by Vonman »

Anybody's playing this insanely addictive game, yet? Right now its sweeping all the awards like crazy. For me, this is personally the best game i have played, period! I don't know, its like being hugged by the fluffiest creature in the universe with 8 breasts, its just so hard to let it go! Turn by turn, what started out as :"Well, ima spend an hour on this before i go to sleep" quickly turns into a 6 hour session and then i'll go to work the next day as a zombie.

So here it is, to XCOM! I'm making this thread for anyone who plays. we can discuss the game, strategy(it gets so tough later on might need help) and even commemorate your memorable fallen soldiers here :D

For those who are unfamiliar, X-Com EU is a turn-based strategy game with RPG-element kinda like FF tactics where you lead a small squad of soldiers against invading alien force all over the world. Throughout your campaign, you'll have members of the council which consists of various nations such as USA, UK, Germany etc. backing you up with resources, soldiers, scientists etc. From time to time they'll request that you help deal with alien threat in their country. failure to do so will increase "Panic Level" there and when they're on high alert, they might pull out of the council so youll have to decide carefully who youre gonna help, cus they always come in options.

This game is so easy to get into, yet extremely difficult to let go. Gameplay is simple yet pretty deep when it comes to strategy. The music might sound familiar because they are composed by the same person who makes Deus Ex HR music (some people even jokingly refer to the game as Deus EX-Com : Enemy Revolution and stuff like that :lol:
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Fantastic game!!

I was even an early adopter (even though I never played any of its predecessors). Played through it twice, played about 7 restarts on Classic / Iron Man, sooooo tough. It is one of the best games I've played in a loooooong time.

That's funny about the Deux Ex correlation, :lol:
Vonman

Post by Vonman »

lol yeahh! so many times it put me in a situation where if it was other game, i would have reset and start a new game. instead, it managed to keep me pushing on, despite all the obstacles. it really is an amazing experience! :lol:

i hope they'll release a GoTY edition soon, i will definitely buy it again haha.
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

:lol: totally worth 2 copies, :XD:

I only restarted missions if they were complete blowouts and I would lose a veteran squad and accrue serious council backlash, otherwise yeah it was more fun to roll with it.

Iron Man mode though, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Have you tried that yet?
Vonman

Post by Vonman »

not yet im still trying to expand my army and leveling up my squads after i realize that i only have one set of experienced soldiers :lol: if theyre injured or even died im pretty much screwed against those bigger aliens haha :lol: its just so much fun doing those missions.

is iron man mode unlockable after you finish the game? or available from start?
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Yeah, fielding rookies is killer later in the game, :o

Iron Man mode is available from the start under Advanced Options. The game play as normal BUT you cannot save / reload, every action is permanent. Cool concept, ridiculously challenging (impossible, :lol: )
Vonman

Post by Vonman »

that sounds very interesting ill check it out! the kind of tension and feeling i get when the soldier die is similar to the one from playing Mass Effect, when one of the character dies due to my choices haha xD those soliders are so random yet the game make you feel so attached to them, especially when i do not change their name and all haha :D
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Agreed, Mass Effect was great on story (until 3), but the tactics in X-Com felt like what Mass Effect could or should have been. Mass Effect one was the closest to having legit strateg-izing, but it was still beaten by repetition of similar mechanics. X-Com's depth for its simplicity is mind boggling.
gadabung

Post by gadabung »

I bought the game, beat it on regular Ironman mode in a week. For anyone who hasn't played it yet, if you are familiar´╗┐ with the franchise it has been dumbed down a lot, and play on a harder mode or else the game just goes by too fast compared to the previous installments. I was really really sad when it was order.
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

gadabung wrote:I bought the game, beat it on regular Ironman mode in a week. For anyone who hasn't played it yet, if you are familiar´╗┐ with the franchise it has been dumbed down a lot, and play on a harder mode or else the game just goes by too fast compared to the previous installments. I was really really sad when it was order.
I didn't play any others before this one, but I heard that I was a bit simpler / optimized. If you're a veteran how on earth do you complete the likes of Classic / Impossible on Ironman, I gave up after more than half a dozen tries several months in.