Current Gen console

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ssringo

Current Gen console

Post by ssringo »

I'm looking to pick up a console here in the next few days and I'm deciding on either a 360 or PS3. I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on the console to get. Here's a few facts about me that would factor into the decision:

-I do most of my gaming on the PC. If there is a PC version, I'll be picking that up so console exclusives will be the biggest selling point. Not necessarily PS3 or Xbox exclusive, just stuff that doesn't appear on PC.
-I hate using a controller for shooters (FPS or 3rd person) so those exclusives are largely unimportant.
-I do like older generation gaming so a store with access to older generation games is a big plus.
-I don't buy next generation consoles early on. I wait for a good selection of games to come out so I won't be upgrading anytime soon.
-I want DoA5...
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Current Gen console

Post by MisterHentai »

Sounds to me like the PS3 would be the way to go then. Since most multiplatform games tend to have a PC version any way and you do it most on that, this is generally the way to go. And I personally think PS3 has it's own better line of exclusives, Xbox 360's selection is more or full of genres similar to the PC market and it gets stale. Very shooter eccentric from my personal view. With the likes of an optional PS+ subscription (It is really like a must now and you get great deals and freebies) and the PSN Store for PSOne and PS2 Classics (Which you can also easily create different accounts to access different continental region versions), can't really go wrong with that. Most of us here also have DOA5 on PS3 so you can easily play with us too.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Thanks for your thoughts. The PS3 is what I'm leaning towards. From what I've gathered around the internet, the 360 exclusives are stuff I'm not especially interested in anyways while there are several PS3 exclusives I really want to play (Tokyo Jungle and Journey being the big ones atm). The PS+ thing sounds really nice as well. However, a couple of things I've seen pop up have me holding off.

-PS3 games tend to be more buggy since it's harder to code games for it.
-Online isn't as good as the 360. Heard it's a bit more laggy.
-Console cost. Not a big deal since I can afford it, but it certainly matters when considering the above 2 factors (if accurate).

Though I suppose with PS3 exclusives, they were made for that console specifically so they shouldn't have porting issues anyways.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Most multiplatform games fair better on the 360 since it is easier to develop for, though there are a few rare exceptions. No surprise PS3 exclusives perform and look better since they are made by Sony's own first/second-hand developer studios so they have the advantages of knowing the system inside out, vice versa for any owned Microsoft's studios and the 360.

As I mentioend before, the 360 is generally seen as shooter eccentric, due to most general market perceptions and advertising/marketing of the types of games i.e. Call of Duty being the most obvious. Plus it's American, anything with guns sells. :D

The online being not as good as the 360 is such a myth. Only reason it seems better on 360 is due to the XBL Gold subscription and you get some extra features with that. But when it comes to actual gameplay which is completely free on PS3 and not so on 360, there's really no difference. It would probably seem like it's bad on the PS3 since in total numbers relative to the 360 (Before it got later revision models with Wi-Fi built in), there's probably more n00bs using the PS3's wireless ethernet connection and so they aren't as knowledgeable about how bad it can be for certain situations. :lol:

As for costs, well there's tons of different packages and model versions now, like the new Super Slim. Just get one with the biggest hard drive capacity because game mandatory installations, downloadables or PS+ will eat it all up.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

PS3. I had a Xbox. Yeah. I moved to PS3 cuz I dont have to pay for Live because Xbox Live is gay and mine got hacked. DONT GET A XBOX 360!!!!!!!!!!
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
.:Someone Else:.

Post by .:Someone Else:. »

I would say PS3 too, mainly cause almost everything is free, so if you end up not using it for a couple of weeks because some PC games got your attention, at least you won't lose money...I mean, imaging you buy a 3 months XBox Live subscription and you actually only use it 2 weeks...pill will be hard to swallow...whereas, for example, if you buy a 3 months PS+ subscription, even if you use it once, you can still get all the game downloaded and play it when you have time and, well, it would be there, waiting...
I seriously felt no differences playing online on both consoles...I got logged out the same amount of time, and once again, on PS3 I yell a bit but then don't care...while on XBOX360, I can't help but think I'm loosing money...

On the other hand, I think certain shooters, on both consoles, still accept the use of mouse and keyboard...but again, if you rather play on PC, it's not that important.

And then there are minors elements being better on one console than on the other...for example, the Xbox Market is way easier to browse through compared to SEN...and the update always appear on time, while some games sometime take days to appear after the scheduled date (recently, Mortal Kombat took something like 4 or 5 days to appear free).
On the other hand, 95% of what you have to pay for on XBOX is free on PS3, simply because the internet browser itself is free. Basically, if you want to do anything else than playing and chatting on MSN on Xbox, you'll have to pay. Once again, it's not that important for you, but we never know.

As for exclusives, PS3 has a lot of various games, from platforming to FPS, when XBOX360, as said by Mr.H, is more about shooters.
Bye y'all, was fun while it lasted
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

If this was a few years ago the 360 would have been a much easier choice, but these days, I personally think it's been peaked out for a long time and quite honestly, it's exclusives are just really dire and basically rehashes of it's most famous franchises like Halo and Forza. Sure they are still good games but it just lacks originality. Then you had the BS thing with the Kinect for a while which really didn't help at all. The PS3 has really picked up the pace these last couple of years and has shown what it is truly capable of with it's own exclusives, and a very good and different service with PS+. I think it's also just sold more than the 360 in total worldwide numbers as well now.
Dank Buttsen

rexil
Porter
Custom Rank: Hu3Hu3

Post by rexil »

I would choose a PS3 many more exclusives and RPG's (which I love) IMO.
┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░Why so Serious?┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's quite ironic that JRPGs were quite more prominent on the 360 earlier (e.g. Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant), and then the PS3 would get it's own version later on with added content and such. Now these days, you some major exclusivity on PS3, like Tales of Xillia and it's sequel.

Least the 360 also has the bigger Japanese SHUMP selection due to easy development. It's a shame PS3 doesn't get the likes of Rez HD, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Raiden etc.
Dank Buttsen

rexil
Porter
Custom Rank: Hu3Hu3

Post by rexil »

MisterHentai wrote:It's quite ironic that JRPGs were quite more prominent on the 360 earlier (e.g. Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant), and then the PS3 would get it's own version later on with added content and such. Now these days, you some major exclusivity on PS3, like Tales of Xillia and it's sequel.

Least the 360 also has the bigger Japanese SHUMP selection due to easy development. It's a shame PS3 doesn't get the likes of Rez HD, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Raiden etc.
True. I bought 360 because of Tales of Vesperia (which I think is the best Tales ever) and later bought a PS3 because of Ar Tonelico which I'm a huge fan. I still remember the first time I played Melody of Elemia on PS2 *.* great times.
┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░Why so Serious?┬░┬░┬░┬░┬░