Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Feel free to discuss what you like / don't like about fighting game franchises, and here's the big one... 'why'

No flaming!
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Post by MisterHentai »

This should have been in the Game Talk section. :LOL:

My complaint, like how so many fighting games these days needs to have a stupid comeback mechanic just to make it look cool, give it an even chance or to appeal to a casual player. :rage:

It's why I'm glad Virtua Fighter 5 is still around, even if it doesn't get much popularity outside of Japan.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Oops: Maybe Marv or someone can move it. :oops:

Prefs: MK, DOA

Indifferent: SF, VF

Strong dislike: Tekken, Many Capcom titles

An interesting topic to be subjective on since my preferences aren't reflected at the most attention getting franchises. First and foremost I think I take into account character appeal / style. Secondly the fighting mechanics, do they feel responsive. To they look natural. Third, how balanced is the system. True balance, IMO is impossible, but it is more likely to happen with characters at least having identical base traits and then differentiating them based on special moves. Balance can make or break the replay-ability after the initial time spent on a game.

MisterHentai wrote: My complaint, like how so many fighting games these days needs to have a stupid comeback mechanic just to make it look cool, give it an even chance or to appeal to a casual player. :rage:
Even with playing as long as I have I don't mind comeback mechanics usually because if done correctly they should still reward competent 'pro' players. A good player should still be able to win with knowledge of the game and ability to out play someone with a crutch. I get frustrated when most games are built on all out momentum mechanics because once a head the game is often times already over and the player behind just has to wait until time has run out or the remainder of their health is gone with no chance of staying in the game. I feel that way about most games, not just fighters, though. Once the tipping point is reached and loss is inevitable the fun just dries up. :(
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

Moved to the Game Talk forum. :P
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Love2Raid wrote:Moved to the Game Talk forum. :P
Thank ya.
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

I got 3 words for y'all

King of Fighters 94-98

Ok so technically still 3 words. And none of that 2k afterwards.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I have nothing against KOF. I just struggle getting into a franchise that has that many iterations. Can't even remember which one I actually played in the arcade '96 maybe... :shock:

Perhaps I should name the Call of Duty of fighting games, :lol:

(srsly, kidding, nothings that' bad :XD:)
d19xx
Custom Rank: Lurker

Post by d19xx »

I personally think that Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike is the pinnacle of 2d fighters.
.:Someone Else:.

Post by .:Someone Else:. »

I was a huge, HUGE Tekken fan...but that juggling stuff seriously pushed me away...I mean, before, one could take the pad, learn what was what, and that's it, play and have fun...ofc, a pro would have had more chances since he knew the moves and all...
But today? A pro will launch you and fuck 80% of your life while you are stupidly bouncing around and unable to do a single thing....and if you want to be able to do something else than being stuck in the air forever, you have to spend hours and hours to learn how to juggle, so focusing on a character and leaving the 30 others away since otherwise it would mean as much work as the "My Kung Fu is stronger" trophy of MK 9 (aka spend 24 hours with each character AT LEAST) and, frankly, I just want to go and have fun, with a fighting game...
So I ended up learning some juggles for Bryan and Yoshimistu, and started to win, but frankly, it wasn't fun at all, since now the first to land a launch will play while the other one will wait. It's like an old RPG where you wait for your turn to attack. Maybe it's link to my way of playing : I always make sure the other one has fun too...I mean, if I rape him during 2 rounds in a row, I'll be a little more gentle in the third one, I don't want to be the cause of a rage quit on a game, so yeah, keeping someone from playing cause he's bouncing through the whole arena? No, thanks. In Tekken 6, I did the trophies (yelled and facepalmed a lot) and gave it back to my friend, while I spend YEARS on Tekken 3.
On contrary, DOA 5 was immediate fun again for me. No need to learn every single attacks to survive, the two or three additions were making the gameplay a tad more strategic, just enough to give advantage to someone that played a bit WITHOUT needed to dedicate your life to it. And it's easier to adapt to newbies...I remember on DOA 4, i was playing against two friends, one knew the game very much, the other was discovering it...so for the first, I played normally, and for the other, I simple avoided to hold or to use critical hits...on Tekken, it would have meant to Juggle the first and have fun with the other.
Well long post, but I'm really sad bout the road Tekken took...the community turned to shit too, I received a couple of mocking mails cuz I wasn't able to land a single blow on the first matches since I was juggling...so those who can't get basically rejected from the "elite" that spend weeks during the same juggle again and again till it comes naturally. That's not what I want. So good bye Namco, you won't have my money anymore.
Bye y'all, was fun while it lasted
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Solid stuff, SE,

Community has a lot to do with it too. It only takes seconds on any of the primary FG sites to find gallons of vitriol about something. Combo systems do go a bit too far when there are zero counter measures for juggling or breaking a combo. As silly as I think it is, Dive Kick makes more sense in that regard because who cares about combos, first hit wins, :lol:

d19xx, not my fave, but I'd be hard pressed to think of a stronger title for king of 2D fighters. MvC2 too imbalanced and most others just haven't aged as well.