Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah there's tons of unblockable setups but the difference is, you only really see this in high level professional play. For most general casual players it shouldn't be a problem, yet you have too many keyboard warriors thinking they know it all and complain about every little thing. Oh Cammy is so top tier blah blah blah!
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
d19xx
Custom Rank: Lurker

Post by d19xx »

I won't hesitate to buy their update if this gal is in it.

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

And Karin too if Capcom can sort out the license for her.

The game needs more cute blondes. :dats:
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Unused Chesspiece

Post by Unused Chesspiece »

I can't say that I really 'hate' any particular fighting game, as I generally enjoy all forms and all styles. I think my favorite would have to be Guilty Gear/Blazblue though. I mean yeah, it's got aerial juggles, but the ground game is just as strong aswell. On top of that, the movement's alot more fluid, and the timing's strict on those long chains, so you're not as likely to be stuck unless you're playing someone who breathes the game you're playing.

Having said that, I'm not enjoying them as much as I'd like to, thanks to the majority of the FGC. I find it to be absolutely asanine. Go to Facebook pages, Youtube vids, SRK/eventhubs articles, anywhere that has a comments section, and you'll find the most biased, stupid and vile rants of pure hate on the internet next to 4chan/encyclopedia dramatica(and don't even get me started on 'youtube commentators'). Say a character or two becomes particularly popular because of their strengths. "BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT CHARACTER! NERF THIS SHIT NOW YOU FUCKTARDS!" Someone finds a glitch in the game-no matter how menial. "POORLY PROGRAMMED RUBBISH BY LAZY DEVELOPERS! SELLING MAH GAME FUCKHEADZ KAITHXBAI!" A dev has the gall to release DLC that they're not gonna handout for free(and this is where the fickle nature of the internet really shows). FUCKING ROBBING MY MONEY AND FORCING ME TO BUY WHAT I AM FUCKING ENTITLED TO! BURN IN HELL YOU GREEDY FUCKERZ!!!!!1ONE"

It's everywhere, no matter where you go on the internet. Because of it, I've developed this irrational concern that it dents game sales enough for devs in general to go "y'know what? fuck this. We quit. Why are we even making these games when all we get are internet death threats, and our salaries aren't even that big to begin with. Let's all just get real jobs....." The worst part is that on other forums where I'm known by 'another' name, there are people that actually want this to happen. To see all devs(not just those who make fighters) systematically wiped out from internet hate until all that's left are the tiny devs that sign on with newgrounds.

*sigh* this is probably considered derailment, but I felt I needed to voice this. I mean, most of you seem reasonable enough when it comes to your vidya gaems, and it feels as though I'd be drawn and quartered if I spoke of this elsewhere.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

No you are very much on topic and that is actually the type of mentality most keyboard warriors have these days and it is incredibly annoying.

Luckily I don't really read comments that much so I don't want some random Interneter ruining my own enjoyment of a game. Plus it's also nice to have friends with similar interests so you can play with them instead of randoms and getting potential spam hatemail with "U SUXX00R!" or "Cheapass ass bitch learn to play a real character" etc.

Sure probably won't be able to get better if you are limited to a few people, but personally I'm more of a casual player any way, so I play these games to have fun, not ride on a sheep train like a huge majority seem to do so.

Being exposed to this so called "FGC", or more like simply the U.S side of it which quite frankly think like they speak for the entire world, it's absolutely terrible.
Dank Buttsen

.:Someone Else:.

Post by .:Someone Else:. »

Oh, yeah, I totally understand that peeps love Tekken system nowadays, it really separate peeps that are just playing from those who mastered the game...I understand that you can be pround when pulling out a 15 hit combo...what I dislike is that you have no choice but to learn juggles nowadays if you want to win sometimes, it became as needed as simply knowing some attacks for each character, or else you are bound to fail cause now Tekken is in the air.
And well the fact that you were dealing more damages in T3 also means your oponant were, so you had to attack fast and avoid punishments, but I rather take one huge blow and get up to take revenge than one launch and wait 30 that the opponant ends his thing. So yeah except of raging on Namco website, I simply stop playing Tekken except for free, and I'm sad that I have to give up a franchise I liked that much...I had an heart attack when getting T3 demo...I barely shuddered when TTT 2 came out.

As for DOA5, mashing works in Begginer, but thats all. You must use the triangle system and vary where you hit or your oponant will hold you to death. Hold for nothing and you'll get punished. And the addition of critical stun and burst makes it more intense as the hold can save your ass or provoke your fall. 'do i risk a hold that could either save me or double my oponant's damages?or do i rather wait till he's done and take revenge?'

Of course that's just my opinion, I Mean no one forces me to play anything.

Aaaand words of wisdom, Chesspiece. I mean I really think they rushed RE6 in the end, tons of glitches and no polish, but that doesnt mean I want them to burn. And I'm used to it with Capcom anyway.
Bye y'all, was fun while it lasted
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

So much good stuff I don't know where to begin.

I'm bummed that DOA5 isn't getting the EVO support that it should. I love MK too, but I don't like how NRS releases a game, finishes its pre-planned DLC and then completely moves onto the next project without support for the last one. I like how TN is at least putting polish into balance / features with DOA5. I'm not a PC gamer, but consoles could definitely use some of the post release support. Why not have a diversity of games represented. I don't quite understand the blind devotion to Capcom. It would be nice to have other games represented instead of 3 heavy Capcom titles and no room for anything else. :?

Tekken 3 may have been the origin of crazy juggles and stuff, but aside of the physics it feels like it (to me) it hasn't seen much radical alteration over the years compared to its 2D counterparts. I don't know if it's because its a 3D fighter or due to lack of innovation, but putting the games side by side with a 15 year gap in between besides an improvement in mesh models I struggle to see the advancement. That perhaps could be said with DOA as well, but physics & mechanics sway me toward that as it is.

I agree that community is just painful to observe. I will sometimes watch article discussions to just see how ignorant or comical they can be. People just rant their fanboyism and negativity. I'm really surprised the devs do put up with that. I know they probably filter a lot out and tend to take feedback from more established sources, but still... most gamers today think "snap fingers, devs answer" I've even seen people railing TN for the recent patch screw up as if they're doing it intentionally to screw consumer :facepalm:

Oh and 1-frame links, Ugh... I don't understand their existence. To me that's almost intentionally increasing the barrier to entry because people online will use them, yet meanwhile putting all the time in the world will not allow me to execute them consistently. Throw in Capcom's apathy to remove unblockables (even if difficult to execute) and I've just really parted ways with their design methodology even if (S)SFIV was a great comeback to the fighting genre.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

To be honest when it comes to the majority of the 3D fighting games, there really isn't THAT big of an improvement from many of the previous versions, other than the general bigger better graphics and a smoother looking and feeling game. Sure the underlining mechanics will be quite obvious to the people who are heavily into the games, but on the outside, you don't really get the sense that it has progressed that much because really, there isn't anything else it could do other than just reiterating itself and be more prettier each time. Soul Calibur V could be a good example, all they really did is rehash some of the same characters again but with a new generation/their kids, but at least this time the cast is refined and you have less clone variants which plagued the previous games.

The 2D side at least has progressed quite a bit. Take for example the SFIV series, it has such a lenient buffering and shortcut control system that it makes it easier for most people to pull off moves compared to the older games were it was a bit more stricter i.e. pulling off a dragon punch you can just double diagonal down instead of doing the full motion. Arc System Works are doing fantastic things with their BlazBlue games too, graphically and system mechanically wise.
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I guess that's fair that is less drastic of a leap with 3D fighters, I guess Virtua Fighters is the same way too. 2D fighters somehow need more departure from their roots.
SF: 1 > II > III > IV
MK: 2 > 4 > 9

Heavily altered over the course of time.

Are those changes you mention though actually intended or just lazy inclusions. If they're intended why are they not included via in-game tutorials and only reserved for pro's to find. Plink-ing for example, I know of it, but don't know how to do it, yet it makes 1 frame links easier. Why is there such a meta of mechanics in some franchises vs others. :?
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

I dunno, Virtua Fighter at least experimented with some changes before alot of the others i.e. VF3 for example, uneven arenas, walls and such, they were one of the first to try out these things. Well there was Fighting Vipers before for the wall arenas. Dead or Alive since 2 expanded on that area to become what we see now in that series.

SFIV's buffer and shortcut system was intended to allow for more casual players to get into it. After the SFIII series, Capcom really needed to make a game more mass appealing and it won't feel as stiff for newcomers too.

Yeah plinking and such, that's all stuff you need to find out from elsewhere. I mean really, Capcom never had been too great with in-game tutorials. I mean the character trials, they don't even have the option to show you how the whole combo goes so you have to figure it out yourself with the timings and such. Sure, doing it this way allows for you to "think for yourself" and not be hand-holded, but it's such a fine line between these things.

Either away, anyone who is serious into these games always has the online community to help out. It's the way things are now.
Dank Buttsen