Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: Nuances of the Fighting Genre

Post by ProtocolX27 »

MisterHentai wrote: SFIV's buffer and shortcut system was intended to allow for more casual players to get into it. After the SFIII series, Capcom really needed to make a game more mass appealing and it won't feel as stiff for newcomers too.

Yeah plinking and such, that's all stuff you need to find out from elsewhere. I mean really, Capcom never had been too great with in-game tutorials. I mean the character trials, they don't even have the option to show you how the whole combo goes so you have to figure it out yourself with the timings and such. Sure, doing it this way allows for you to "think for yourself" and not be hand-holded, but it's such a fine line between these things.

Either away, anyone who is serious into these games always has the online community to help out. It's the way things are now.
I think they've had buffers as far back as SF Alpha if not in iterations of II, cannot remember. It's the shortcuts though that get to me, probably because of some old school mentality. In a way they seem like an exploit. Which makes me wonder do devs intentionally program or does the actual programming allow it and they don't feel like altering especially once the community latches onto the mechanic. To compare it to a shooter, it's like a reload exploit or something. It may not be intended to be in the game, but it's not a deficit like getting out of the level either, so why not just leave it. I think that causes a break in virtual competition vs real world competitions ie sports etc. In the real world, rules are clearly defined and penalties exist for abusing them. In the software world, players find new things to use, now they may or may not be malicious with them, but it really increases the level of 'effort' I guess to master something. It's no longer about the rules and perfection of the craft / competition, but about that plus implementing things not intended. I say 'intended' by reference as to whether or not the dev acknowledges the existence of a mechanic. Sure they don't include every combo, but in relation to mechanics if they aren't listed / recognized why are they included?
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

Oh yeah that's right, the old games do have a buffer themselves i.e. like charge buffering Chun-Li's Super and walking forward etc in SFII. It's just that SFIV feels a bit more prominent, or maybe I am just getting spoilt by this game. I go back to some of the older titles and execution has gone down in some areas. :lol:

Perhaps it's also the engine that SFIV is built upon hence the leniency. Since it's modern and a 3D polygonal graphics game, the leniency in control movement is already there?

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, it's all still "legal" within the game any way. A true exploit would be completely breaking something to the point that it's impossible to do something about it, like a character did something to render them completely invincible all the time, or a hit doesn't connect because their hitbox become non-existant or something.

These games always have some other underlining mechanic of some sort and it is kind of fun actually finding out about them or figuring things out for yourself. Afterall, all games are just a bunch of code any way and they are never perfect.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Awesome EVO at the moment with SSFIVAE and the semi-finals currently right now of my posting, is just too stacked.

Tokido back with Demon pose shennaigans and Sakonoko delivering his Topanga Asia League winning Evil Ryu!

So much more awesomness to come and I can't wait to see who will make Top 8 for Sunday.

TTT2 Grand Finals was actually pretty good too, with Knee absolutely destroying at the last game and showing Korea's usual dominance in anything Tekken.

Persona 4 Arena was the same, with Japan showing the U.S how the game should be played. It was just pure rush down dominance.

EDIT - Kazunoko vs Inflitration and stream view count just peaked over 60K+
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Hopefully, I'll see some of the finals tomorrow. Just heard about the Character update for SSFIV though. At least they're finally adding more than balance changes. :D
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Sexy Trap for top tier, goodbye Fei Long, a new rekka user is in town and much sexier! :ggl: :LOL:

Yeah it's nice that we get new characters, even if the 4 revealed are quite cheap and not that special really, given the history of the series and fighting games in general, you'll know something is bound to be broken and all the complainers will be out in full force.

Since it's early 2014 for the update, hopefully it means Capcom can do it right for once.
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I've been on an anti-Capcom band wagon for a long time, and for as much as I've disliked a lot of DLC practices, this for once feels like an intelligent one. DLC should be used to extend the life of an existing game not exploit it. This is adding content that people want to a game that has had more longetivity than most shy of getting a sequel.

I've already seen people griping about the characters being recycled from SFxT, my opinion: ... who cares ... at least this game is getting an update for the communities sake instead of seeing another new game full of features that people don't want.

I am curious to see what they'll do for the new character since apparently Elena is the only female present of the known four. :XD: Although, it would be awesome to see Haggar finally make his way into Street Fighter despite his similarities to 'gief.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Well from the presentation reveal, it was said that quite alot of people enjoyed playing these characters in SFxT, and would've preferred them to be in a proper singular SF title instead, so fans got what they want, even if it was a little cheap, but the reaction was still quite positive though.

But yeah, along with the balances changes, it's also extra stuff like the 6 new stages, and whatever other changes, features and updates may be in place.

Hopefully this time they will implement trial modes for the new characters, including the four AE ones, so that new players can actually learn about them. Because if so, much better update and extension than AE ever was then.
Dank Buttsen

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Looks like them "new" stages will be from SFxT. :pi:

I guess Capcom saw all the awesome PC version mods and backports that they felt like why bother with so much effort. :lol:

So yeah, cheap copy and paste. :facepalm:

Maybe sticking to 2012 isn't so bad after all. :LOL:
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Yeah, the fact the stages aren't new is disappointing. I didn't think those were that good to begin with. I would however pay $20 for Rolento to be in a game that I won't play though, :pi:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

ULTRA Street Fighter IV. :LOL:

Dang Elena's choco legs are lanky as hell in this. Almost Dhalsim like.
Dank Buttsen