Strider

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Strider

Post by MisterHentai »

:LOL:

I remember a machine with that game which uses 0.10GBP per credit so I would waste a few £££ on it. But yeah, the gameplay is definitely quite the evolution to it.

Also there is this game a few years ago too which Koichi Yotsui also directed.

I have it on my PS3, but no one to play with. :(
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Arch-vile
Custom Rank: Negative Creep

Post by Arch-vile »

Strider was one of the first Genesis games I played and beaten. Easily one of the best games for the system. Anyway, I played the demo a couple times and it seems like a fun game. I wasn't too crazy about the graphics or the respawning enemies. I did like the boss battle though. I may get it if there's a price drop.
TheBlackPigeon
Custom Rank: City Park Superhero

Post by TheBlackPigeon »

What did I think of the game?

I will be honest in saying that I'm not dissatisfied with my purchase. I felt the NES Strider vibe when I was playing it, too. The visuals are serviceable, but nothing too memorable, so we definitely agree on that. I also agree that controlling Hiryu is awesome. His movements and attacks really felt fluid to me. And thankfully, the dialog retains the campiness of the original. :P

But to be honest, I wouldn't mind if the game was just a bit more challenging. And by challenging, I mean in the 'Strider 2' good way, not the Arcade version bad way. Overall, I'm happy. With this and Killer Instinct, Double Helix finally seems to be hitting their stride. (no pun intended)
GamerGate is basically Reality TV for nerds.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah the respawning enemies once off screen and back again takes it's que from the NES game. :rage:

Luckily playing on Normal mode it's quite the breeze since health pickups are plentiful and you can pretty much mass your way through the the huge majority of it. :lol:

Yeah Double Helix have certainly stepped their game up now with their recently releases, but now that Amazon owns them, I wonder where they can go from here. :?
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Yep, good game, I've spent 3 hours into it so far, so many things to find and it's easy to get lost in that big ass map lol! I have the PC version of course though it would've been great if they added a gui to reconfigure/rebind your controls. In this day and age of PC gaming that is a must, but for some reason this game doesn't have that and you have to either fiddle with the config file or use one of 'em keyboard emulators to use your pad. Quite disappointing too is the fact that the game works full speed on my faptop at 1080 P windowed, but once I go full screen at 1080p it gets choppy... I mean, wtf? LOL! Gonna be a while til I finish this game. I refuse to look at walkthroughs like I did with SOTN lol.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

No 360 pad?

If it's some other 3rd party model then no surprises there.

Any way here is a quick Easter Egg rundown video.

And a 2 month old video showing the soundtrack remixes. :lol:

Dank Buttsen

Arch-vile

Post by Arch-vile »

It's pretty cool that his costumes reference other characters. Sucks there's no Captain Commando outfit. Also, I'm pretty sure that sound you hear when you pick up hidden items isn't the pause sound, it's the sound from the arcade version when you insert a coin. I could be wrong though. :?
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah there is no pause sound even on the Mega Drive version. :lol:

Definitely sounds more like a insert coin jingle. Time to fire up MAME or some other CPS game emulator. :lol:
Dank Buttsen

Arch-vile

Post by Arch-vile »

I finished the game today and I really enjoyed it. Some of the bosses were pretty challenging, although, Meio Prime was pretty easy to beat. My total time was 9:06 and I found 96% of the items. Shame you can't keep the costumes you've unlocked for your second playthrough. Also, I was a bit disappointed that the amazons didn't make an appearance.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Maybe in a sequel game when he actually visits other places outside of Kazakh City. :lol:
Dank Buttsen