Strider

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Strider

Post by MisterHentai »

Looks like Killer Instinct developer's Double Helix are working on a new Strider game for Capcom. :o

Now whilst it's awesome he is back again, I personally don't really like the look of this. A bit too dark too. And Double Helix certainly has a thing for flashy special particle effects and explosions lately.

For you youngin's that missed out, Strider was a hard-as-balls side-scroller game back during the Arcade and Mega Drive/Genesis to PS1 era. And has since been featured as a character in Capcom's Marvel vs Capcom series of games.

:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Strider

Post by semory »

ps4? that looks like a ps3 game :D.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Doubt the PS3 can handle all the flashy special effects without slowdown though. :P

And 2D sidescrollers don't need to look too much.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Bluej97
Porter
Custom Rank: Porter

Post by Bluej97 »

OMG YES !
"FRESSHU BAKED DESU CHAN STIXXXLUV EXXXCLUSIVE PREORDER NOW!"
-RoXXXeh-
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

I really liked Strider 2 for PS1, soooo yay!
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
Arch-vile
Custom Rank: Negative Creep

Post by Arch-vile »

I loved the original Strider so I'm pretty psyched to see this new one. I just hope it doesn't end up like Journey from Darkness: Strider Returns. :sick:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Well the fact that Capcom let Double Helix handle this one already sounds like bad news any way. :lol:

I noticed how along of 2.5 HD remakes/sequels of old Japanese platformers have been outsourced to Western developers and in the end, come out very marmite.

Capcom seriously must be lacking resources if they couldn't have done this themselves. I mean why not work it on their MT Framework engine? The UMvC3 model of him looks, feels and runs great enough and to continue with that with minor improvements would had been awesome.
Dank Buttsen

Arch-vile
Custom Rank: Negative Creep

Post by Arch-vile »

While I'd prefer Capcom to work it, I'm willing to give it a chance as long as it plays like the original and provides a decent, old school challenge. None of that crap like checkpoints every 3 minutes and unlimited continues. :lol:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

So yeah, what did you guys think of the new game?

The game is semi-Metroidvania, and a slight remake of the original Arcade game but also mixed with the NES exclusive i.e. majority of it is just Kazakh City.

Not a bad thing mind you, but the visuals are quite boring when it's mostly the same and dark Shadow Complex inspired look. I find it was kind of hard to see certain things because of it.

Hw does control and plays fantastically though since there were so many range of options in his moves.

In the end, it was an okay game, just wished there was a bit more variety in things, especially it's graphics and areas. And of all the sound and music tributes and remixes this game has, why the fuck did they not keep the "death explosion" sound! :rage:

Another nostalgia trip of the first original game.

Original CPS-1 Arcade version.

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version.

Comparison of the bajillions of ported versions the game had.
Dank Buttsen

06pori
Porter
Custom Rank: Gimme Gimme Octopus

Post by 06pori »

the true 'strider 2'...

the "Strider" that not involved Isuke(aka Kouichi Yotsui), there is nothing more than an fake :ohn: