SoulCalibur series

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: SoulCalibur series

Post by iheartibuki »

:LOL: I mentioned this to gramps last night and he seems to nocurr. :LOL:

I did spend quite a bit of money on TR so if they end that anytime soon I will be pissed. :rage: Although a lot of people online cheat by artificially boosting their stats, I play the game mostly because the move properties for a lot of characters, the general movement, the nerfed side stepping/walking are closer to Tekken 7's. I reckon if Eliza's going to be added to Tekken 7's roster (I doubt it but there's that sliver of possibility) that's when they'll take TR down. :(
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Marv, this is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to put any effort into grind intensive games. I don't 'think' SFV would do this, but they clearly are approaching a similar business model.

For me, at least, there's no point putting time (or money) into a game that eventually can have the power cord yanked on its content.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

hahahaha good riddance lol. the past year everything namco bandai has released has been pure shit. grinding in a godzilla game lol? they really need to pull a sega and flat out say they're sorry for releasing so many shit, money-grubbing games.

i can imagine those japanese peeps who spent $1,000+ on it are really pissed. i'm happy to see it go though.
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah but the difference is that SFV is a mainstay and multiplayer and competitive game that will last for a long time.

Lost Swords is a single player and quite honestly, the very definition of a useless time sink game with no merits other than self satisfaction. It's just too slow and poorly implemented in the first place.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

MisterHentai wrote:Yeah but the difference is that SFV is a mainstay and multiplayer and competitive game that will last for a long time.

Lost Swords is a single player and quite honestly, the very definition of a useless time sink game with no merits other than self satisfaction. It's just too slow and poorly implemented in the first place.
Right, one would think, but even SFV will have a life span just as SFIV did. The key difference from the MOBA model (at least presently) is that these games need an eventual update via new fighters, stages, etc. When that time comes if 75% of SFV's post disc content is server side without a retail disc or at least stand alone digital entry, I'd be a little irked once the hammer drops. People can revisit, SFIII, MvC2 any time they want, but even MvC3 already has had its plug pulled on two of characters...
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yes it is alarming, but same argument should also be applied to Killer Instinct as well. And that game itself is a very digital oriented focused service.

The key thing about both Killer Instinct and SFV is the integral partnership/co-ownership with their exclusive platform holders i.e. Microsoft and Sony respectively.

The only way the hammer will drop when it comes to these two games is if either companies or XBL or PSN goes dead. And when it comes to XBL and PSN especially, I think they will last a pretty damn long time. (Course, original XBL is a whole another issue :LOL: )

As for the Marvel VS games, the biggest and obvious factor with these is all due to franchise and property licensing issues. And since this itself spreads across in the movie industry as well, the current tug of war situation between Marvel, Sony, Fox, and whoever else, with regards to certain characters/series creates a whole other BS dilemma which affects everything else as a whole. MvC2/MvC3/UMvC3/Origins are all pulled now because of this and then there were other situations with Marvel-based games like with Deadpool.

It's a fucked up situation sure, but those are the differences.

SFII3S and Darkstalkers can still be around because they are pure Capcom original games. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure had to be taken down due to obvious licensing issues.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Proto, I understand your concerns from a general standpoint, and they're perfectly valid. However, by that argument, you can also apply those concerns to digital only games, and there are tons of them out there. IMO these games and other downloadable content are meant to be enjoyed when they're "in" and "hot", and even the immediate period after that is fairly lengthy for a gamer to make the most out of them. Anything that is downloadable via some walled garden marketplace carries that risk of content being pulled from that marketplace at some point, but if we were to think about these concerns all the time, then we pretty much have to skip every digital only game out there or any retail disc games that have DLC, won't we?

Even if Tekken Revolution gets pulled from the PSN at some point, and even though I'll be pissed when that happens, I know that I've enjoyed the time I put in the game and will always cherish that. If the money that Bamco gets out of me goes into say, more content for Tekken 7 down the road for consoles or if it funds a potential PC version then the investment would've been worth it. Just so you know, Harada does not like the DLC business model so he's putting his games out in arcade first to make money, then release console versions with more content that is 99% on disc. This is true with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 sans Tekken Tunes.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Exactly.

For the most part, it's generally anything that contains a licensed 3rd party property that tends to be the one that will eventually get pulled, due to the typical horseshit business contractual reasons.

Now when it comes to original game properties, it is a highly variable situation. Most cases are apply to or if it is an "online multiplayer game" that requires servers to be maintained, but the original developer cannot afford the business sustainability of it or "other reasons", then something like this is unfortunate but understandable.

A big example would be the GameSpy shutdown. This was a service that was used for nearly 2 decades by a shit ton of multiplayer focused games, and whilst this caused a bit of a hailstorm, there at least some work arounds to it. Most games that still have large playing communities or developer support were able to fix the problem and things still carried on.
Last edited by MisterHentai on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

@H, I agree about Killer Instinct, and for the same reason I'm in no hurry to get that or an Xbox One, :LOL: I'll be interested when it's finally done which is likely when its no longer mainstream. :lol:

I do agree that it is doubtful that XBL, PSN, Capcom are going to pull the plug on anything in the short term, but as Marvel's case points out people aren't buying products anymore they are buying licenses. When that license expires, so does the content and most of today's gaming generation is okay with that as the business numbers show. I know it's like flinging a booger at a boulder rolling down hill, but I'm still holding my ground.

In the end licensing only hurts the consumer because the company supporting the title eventually deems supporting a low return project to be a loss rather than a profit, case in point, Lost Souls. And when I mentioned SFIII, I'm referring to already downloaded titles & disc copies, but yes that and Darkstalkers could suffer the same fate for new purchases once licensing or profits subsides.

@Marv, I agree on the digital games front and in a way I have conceded on that front as long as I can have all content on one platform (or more) and have access to it as long as those systems remain functional. At least the responsibility is on me to ensure operability / maintenance, but there's a difference with having all access to digital content versus having paid for that content and no longer having access to it due to licensing or the physical plug being pulled on servers. I have a big issue with that still. It's the nature of MMO's, I have yet to play one.

With TR, you're cool with having a short term experience, most gamers are now and they never look back. I take a quality over quantity approach that I have a play a great title, I may want to revisit it at some point, and if I want to revisit it, I want it to work because I paid money for access to it. GOG has proven that this is still possible in a digital age without it even being piracy. They allow download of the installers, so even if a server goes down (like Steam) a person can at any point still access the game or the content if they had the foresight to keep a copy of the files.

So for PC, I'll focus on games I can do that with, and for consoles, I have to treat each game like a hard copy as if the system were the disc although it can never be resurrected with a hardware failure. But if at any point, I suspect licenses or online tampering with something I put time and money into better believe I'll be pulling internet access on it, :LOL:

So w/ SFV, I at least hope content does get so microtransaction or grind intensive that I'll never reach a completion point where I can get the data in a standalone form on one console.... Or I'll just gravitate toward PC where I can :evillaugh:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's all down to one's experience of the game and how and what is/was played, along with your own choice and commitment to it as well.

Taking the MMO argument and concern, whether it is subscription based or F2P with microtransactions, it's obvious where that money will go to and the reasons for it. Once you look past that, it's all down to what experiences it will give you as the player. And as typical MMO games go, the whole point is to interact in a themed large open virtual world with many different people from all over, whether it's friends or complete strangers, building groups, parties, communities and then tagging along with each other to go through all the ups and downs of progressing through the game. Sure these are grindy as fuck games for reasons and what gameplay mechanics are in place, but it's also anything else it could offer. Sometimes it isn't even about playing the game, it can be as simple as just hanging around or finding other random things to do. So there is no need to limit your options.

Of course, eventually once the game gets pulled and shutdown which is inevitable for any MMO, obviously anybody will be angry and upset within a normal emotion and response. But at the end of it and with good rational thought, so as long as you had an enjoyable experience, whether it's gaining some bonuses along the way like making new friends, or you had become one of the best or a famous player to inflate your e-peen or whatever, then at least you still got something worth all the time you have invested from your life.

I certainly had a great time during the early to mid 2000's when I used put so much of my life into MMO games. Was it a waste of time? In many ways, of course it was! But did I have fun? Hell yeah, and it's certainly a time and place I won't ever forget and at least had the pleasure of experiencing and knowing what it is like.

Now going back to Lost Swords. I'm actually glad it's getting pulled because it was a poorly implemented product in the first place. :LOL:
Dank Buttsen