Namco Bandai's F2P Approach

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Namco Bandai's F2P Approach

Post by semory »

so what was wrong with scv?
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

It plays well and I still enjoy it. Hell the customisation options are better and refined than SCIV. But personally, the reason why I find it lacking and lost it's "Soul" is after 4 main games of epicness, this one is quite a significant change to almost everything about it.

The announcer is very dull and boring, especially compared to the OTT and meme quoted nature of the previous games.

Even worse, the music itself is just not as good and that is one of the most defining and standout points of the previous games. Nearly the entire soundtrack of the previous games is really good, it sets the scale and themes of each character, stage and the fantasy of the period setting in the most epic and bombastic balance of :feel: and :fyea:.

They went too Orchestra and Western with SCV where it's so toned down and background filler-esque sounding to the point they aren't even memorable. Junichi Nakatsuru was generally the composer for the previous games and in V, he's relgated to mainly the main menu and character select themes which if you are a fan of his previous work, you can still sense his particular style just a little bit. But that's about it. Hiroki Kikuta does some decent work and tries to make some tracks in the traditional SC-sound, but it's just not enough.

Now gameplay wise, they have tried to balance it a bit and make less clone/variant characters, which was quite a problem with the previous games (SCIV is notorious for that). Even if they are also just rehashed movesets, I find it still plays well. It might get a bit complicated with the way extra mechanics and meter is handled too, but that's fighting games for you.

Serious fighting game fans may not care about this, but for the larger casual base and fans, you can see why this game kind of failed for that majority. Course we all know about the general concensus on the "kids" of the established characters and no more big b00bie MILFs. :lol:

I'll dare say that SCV is like the SFIII3S of the SC series in terms of a new generation and some departures of old well loved and established conventions. :lol:

So yeah, that's my near essay thoughts on it. :LOL:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
xerotwo

Post by xerotwo »

It was totally rushed, as it was probably built just for competitive reasons.
Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

Post by Vonman »

semory wrote:so what was wrong with scv?
it couldve been great if only they added more stuffs like previous SC installments.
and if they didnt rush the story too, like all of a sudden main character like Sophitia gets killed off-screen and replaced with
her two children who both feels so... alien to the series players.

im guessing that F2P SC gonna die pretty soon just like RR Driftopia. Bamco sure has the worst F2P model i have ever seen out there.
even worst than EA.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Because......

JAAAAH PAAAAAAAAAAN!

:LOL:
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Eh I actually like SCV apart from it feeling incomplete. Only thing I hate is that you have 3 Mokujin type characters. Why in the world do you need 3!?!?!? (Edge Master, Kilik and Elysium)? They could've just delegated all that to Kitty Meow. :lol: Anyway, this is the first SC I played since getting the first game titled Soul Calibur (yes, I'm familiar with the very, very first game which is Soul Edge/Soul Blade, TYVM) on my Dreamcast, so I can't judge it against the previous tunes, but I do like the themes in SCV and they're quite memorable enough. I have SCIV here too that I got for $20 :LOL: and I might dabble in that soon too. I wanna pway as the Dark Lord of the Sith and some of the old classics. :D
Vonman wrote:im guessing that F2P SC gonna die pretty soon just like RR Driftopia. Bamco sure has the worst F2P model i have ever seen out there.
even worst than EA.
LOL, the numbers beg to differ though. Bamco just announced that they are making a boatload of money from the game and admitted that micro transactions were the reason they put this thing out in the first place.
MisterHentai wrote:Because......

JAAAAH PAAAAAAAAAAN!

:LOL:
DAMN RIGHT, SKIPPY!
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

And thus, Bamco have announced that Rise of Incarnates will shutdown this 15th December! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Next up is Ace Combat: Infinity and then eventually Tekken Revolution to shutdown! :ggl: :mis: :evillaugh:

They really are full of wasted crap! :LOL: :facepalm:
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Hopefully this isn't a shock.

I feel that not enough consumers recognize that these are cash grabs. The content is not built to last and won't be kept online or even long term if there is no player base. And there will be no player base if it doesn't sustain itself.

I don't know that I'd pick on just Namco for this problem, but the model itself. :okay:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Amazed it went on this long.

I guess, that's the last of it then? :evillaugh:
Dank Buttsen