Valve's Steam Box

Discussions about games from the past, present, and future.

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Valve's Steam Box

Post by MisterHentai »

So with the string of announcements this past week with Valve revealing their plans and details for how the Steam Box Machines will work, SteamOS (Linux-based, streaming capabilities), plus a beta program where 300 lucky testers will get to try it out soon, lastly a look at their gamepad controller design, which is quite interesting.

A keybinding example.

:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Re: Valve's Steam Box

Post by thePWA »

Was half expecting some sort of sauna :)
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

Yeeeah I don't really like the controller.

I think it's the design of the thing that kinda puts me off. But I guess I should try it out first, then bring judgement later.
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

I guess the shape isn't too much of a problem since it's more or less like anything else that is out now, but it is clearly the obvious trackpads for control that is the real issue and makes me wary.

Assuming the technology and fidelity of it has improved alot, even then not exactly the best for some high paced type of games.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

That controller......

:wat:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Oh come on, it's not that hard to understand.

All the nipple moresters out there will find this suitable. :ggl: :ggl: :ggl:
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Shelves the anti-digital distro preferences ...

If that controller were to work effectively, I like the concept. :)
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

What's funny is how Valve are so far making decent headlines with their approach to doing this, but when M$ tried it for their XBO......due to their poor PR and messaging.......... :evillaugh:
Dank Buttsen

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

The thing is Valve IS already digital distrubition, Microsoft isn't. It's no identity crisis for Valve to take this approach. Microsoft attempted it without offering any middle ground / transition / bridge, and suffered the backlash because they assumed everyone would take to it.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's more the poor policies and messaging from Microsoft that failed them. Had it all been explained much better, things could've been different.

Sure Valve are the experts in the digital distribution field, but it's the hardware side of things that is going to be the interesting part which can help or break them, a side that Microsoft are better at, and the fact that consoles are standardised closed systems any way.

PC hardware is such a anally bitchy area and this is something that could cause some issues down the line for Valve. All the variable hardware specs, all the types of games and requirements, just a part of the "MASTURRACE" side that can never be solved.

We'll be seeing some interestingly spec'd PC boxes by some third-party manfufacturers certified for the Steam Box program though.
Dank Buttsen