Howfie's WIP List

Post your WIP Lists here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Re: Howfie's WIP List

Post by Dazzy »

No limitations :) Just make sure that each mesh doesnt go over the 59 bone limit (I think its 59 xD)
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

EDIT: Nevermind.

Well I hope your first model turns out good! :D
This is a coverup for the comment I made, obvi XD
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

lol i am just trying to get a triangulated cube with 9 bones (1 root + 8 bones one for each point) and weights in. i looked at dusan's source code and i think i figured out the mesh format so creating an LWO -> mesh program should be very easy. hard part is figuring out what render groups are valid for LWO -> mesh conversion.

then i'll work on something a little more uhm... better looking :D .

btw, what do you do if you have one mesh and more than 59 bones? that sort of a funky limit... can't someone just recompile dusan's code and change 59 to maybe 255 :D?
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Nice :) If a mesh goes over 59 bones then we have to split the mesh into pieces, I dont know how to do stuff with Dusan's code xD Maybe someone else does?
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Anx

Post by Anx »

Why any bone limit?

We are using XNA in our pipeline and, as an animator discovered to my horror that XNA has a 59 bone limit more or less hardcoded into it. We got around this with a added community written content processor but we're experiencing bugs up the wazoo. We do get up to 79 bones now (enough for a full character with bone-driven-face).

I looked at dusan's source code and he does not use the content pipeline! Why define a limit?

@semory: My sweetly professor, I recompile dusan's code and //comment the limit. Which class file?
EDIT: Found it. class ModelLoader
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

Hi anx. I'll take a look at it in a little bit to see where it is :-)

Edit: oh ok you found it... Cool.
Anx

Post by Anx »

I talk about the anx. project ;) and I has found the ModelLoader class file.
semory wrote:Are there any restrictions on how you build your skeleton? Can there be multiple root joints?
Dusan told to me,
  • multiple root joints caust trouble (Blender importer issue)
  • the first joint must be the root joint (Blender importer issue)
  • the root joint must be in the center of the ground plane and the figure must be standing on the floor
  • white space inside the bone names are the node delimiter to build the bone tree-view (control window)
  • if the name start with "unused" (without quotes), then this bone a hidden (control window)
  • all names lowercase (command menu, like mirror pose, issue)
  • no name should include any underscore. (camera pivot issue)
  • every name must be unique
  • siblings (like fingers) should be define after the parent bones (like wrist)
  • and of course, according to Dusan, max 59 bones per mesh piece (DirectX 9 issue)
Anx

Post by Anx »

semory wrote:lol i am just trying to get a triangulated cube with 9 bones (1 root + 8 bones one for each point) and weights in. i looked at dusan's source code and i think i figured out the mesh format so creating an LWO -> mesh program should be very easy. hard part is figuring out what render groups are valid for LWO -> mesh conversion.

then i'll work on something a little more uhm... better looking :D .

btw, what do you do if you have one mesh and more than 59 bones? that sort of a funky limit... can't someone just recompile dusan's code and change 59 to maybe 255 :D?
Dusan's code recompiled without bones limit http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/38001796/file.html not tested!

Can someone provide a test file to test the new feature?
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

Wow, thanks Eva for all the useful information. I really appreciate it :). I'm still in the early stages of my lwo exporters and can't test since I don't know blender hehehe. I assume it shouldn't work unless xna 3 has option to use d3d11, which has more constant registers. And say thanks to dusan for me too for the info.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

OK guys, you gotta help me lol. :)
Now that I think I've fixed the spammer problem (I had e-mail and ip address checks crossed up), we should get minimal spam now.
So now it's back to try to get to this porting business he he he... I'll show you the model I want to do and upload it soon as I fix her up a little bit he he he.

Eva told me to get LWO to Blender with all the vertex groups correct I have to use the latest demo version of blender. Does the Blender plugin work for the lastest demo version of Blender?