Greetings, got a question about uploading

Introduce yourself or congratulate a fellow member here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Love2Raid

WuHT
Custom Rank: Soul Calibur Fan

Greetings, got a question about uploading

Post by WuHT »

I've got a simple Question:

I respect the individuals who make the models and what not, since clearly I am unable to do so myself.

However, I would like to respectfully ask what the mentality is behind certain modelers choosing to no longer upload a model for the general public to use. Is there a legal reason or is this a creative reason ? I don't understand but I was hoping someone could explain to me why certain people would actually ask others to not upload their work to any others. The only reason I could think of is that they were planning on uploading a updated version sometime in the future and didn't want any conflicts/incompatibilities.
---
I appreciate all help provided
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Greetings, got a question about uploading

Post by iheartibuki »

Welcome to Sticklove, WuHT! :) I think you pretty much answered your own question.

A lot of times when a link is down, it has something to do with the porter updating the current version of model that's been down. Other times it's probably developers reporting links to their models and the file hosts complying with those requests.

From a general standpoint it is looked down upon for somebody else to upload somebody else's "work" (in these terms it's the effort to convert to XNALara/XPS, which is very time consuming) especially if the original link is still up.

There are also a lot of people in the community who upload stuff that they didn't work on and don't even give credit to the original porter, which would make others think it's his "work". While others may not seek credit, it is in fact, lying by omission if you don't state that you did not work on the port. :)

There are also people who like to take credit for other people's "work" to get their 15 minutes of fame and (I think) these are considered the lowest of the low. :)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

Like Marv said you pretty much answered your own question WUHT.

A majority of porters prefer to keep a very low profile in terms of the "work" they do for a number or reasons but I personally think it boils down to trying to keep the community as low profile as possible. And though a number of porters do tend to release a lot of eye-catching (not to mention potentially dangerous attention-grabbing releases for the game developers/distributors to wreak unholy copyright vengeance upon the community) it really is up to the faceless masses to try and use these assets as responsible as possible.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

can you give an example of a porter who is doing what you describe?
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

semory wrote:can you give an example of a porter who is doing what you describe?
Well for starters there's thought I'd name names lol and there's haha here'a a good one too and lets not forget whooops no drama as well as yeah think I'll keep this one.

Just shitloads of stuff y'know...
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

ah, i think i misunderstood his question lol. so he's asking why when someone's ports go down they never reupload?
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

semory wrote:ah, i think i misunderstood his question lol. so he's asking why when someone's ports go down they never reupload?
Lol apparently I misunderstood your post.
WuHT

Post by WuHT »

semory wrote:ah, i think i misunderstood his question lol. so he's asking why when someone's ports go down they never reupload?
I cannot remember the exact name (and I dont think it is fair that I do), but the only thing I recall was them specifically asking no one else reupload their linked model.

As a member of the unassuming general public, I am under the assumption that the work here is "community-release" i.e. where a group of people collaborate with each other to improve each other's skills in order to extract and make poseable models. I dont want uploaders to think i'm not giving them credit however.

I didnt' realize there was a lot of legal threats from the actual game developers to ask you guys to stop uploading though (hence low profile). It's not like you guys are uploading your models into their game servers to ruin the game experience for other gamers, but that is just my 2 cents.
---
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Not re-uploading at the original owner's request is more or less a courtesy. Some people are more particular about it than others. As mentioned, some people don't give credit, so some uploaders get turned off to the idea.

There have been legal situations in the past. For the most part working on models seems harmless, but the developer still has the right to pursue legal action if their content is used in a way they didn't authorize. Most don't bother possibly for a couple of reasons. Sometimes its free marketing, other times it may cost to much to bother. At the end of the day, developers still have the final call not the community.

Most folk here do care about improving and putting out quality models. Who does or does not want credit varies as does the level of drama depending on the context, :lol: It's primarily about not taking credit for other peoples stuff.
WuHT

Post by WuHT »

Thank you for the replies.

Seeing as its mostly a form of courtesy I suppose i'll be polite with my requests for re-uploads.

Btw: big fan of you guys actually compiling your stuff collectively at Deviant art. I wanted to post there but I haven't figured out how so thats why I made an account here.
---