Star Wars Movies Discussion

Talk about whatever.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Dazzy, iheartibuki

Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Star Wars Movies Discussion

Post by Dazzy »

Discuss the Star Wars Movies here. Spoilers allowed, if you don't want to see spoilers, leave now.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
fatslacker
Custom Rank: Noobster

Re: Star Wars Movies Discussion

Post by fatslacker »

Finn had a great build up in the beginning (bloodied Stormtrooper and all), but decayed into a generic black lead, rife with running, screaming and shooting. What's your opinion about that?
Unpersoned
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

To be honest, that is pretty true. :LOL:

It's nice that they made an obvious statement in having some gender and ethnicity for the main cast *cough* Millennials *cough* :LOL: , but they couldn't help fall back into the blackman stereotype trap. :LOL: :facepalm:

Well whatever is the case, I think Finn has fallen into the "friendzone" with Rey though. Much kiss on forehead! :evillaugh: :mis: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As much as I like this film, what for it's homage and poetic rhyme to A New Hope with bits and parts of the rest of the Original Trilogy and Prequels, it's definitely not without it's flaws and suffers from asking too many questions instead.

Like in A New Hope in how they introduced the Death Star, Starkiller Base in this is a very cool concept, but too little was shown about it and then BAM ..... that's it! :fdat:

30 years it s a pretty long time, and I hate that we will have to look at other media like official books, comics, TV series, games etc to get more information about how things came to be. Good ol' Star Wars merchandising and exploitation! :LOL: :snarage:

I'm glad the next films will have different directors just like the Trilogy because as decent job J.J Abrams did with this, you can easily tell it is is style and therefore suffers from many of his idiocracies he is known for e.g. lots of running, it's always moving and very fast paced, and especially the part with Han and his freighter ship with the :ttc: aliens was one of the dumbest and stupidest things in there. Few parts just reminds me of his Star Trek reboots too. :facepalm:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Oh yeah just to add, I am of the belief that Snoke is Darth Plagueis.

The references being Kylo Ren calling Snoke "Wise" and in particular, the soundtrack of when Snoke is on-screen. It is very similar sounding music (Synthesized monk chant) for the ones used for Palpatine in Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith. Sith especially as that was when Plagueis was first mentioned.

30 seconds on wards.

It's such an obvious callback and I will be amazed if it's all a red herring once Snoke is fully revealed.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

That would be cool if he were Plagueis.

Re: Finn, I felt he was such a dull character for being the new generation 'Han Solo' parallel. I had no issue about him being a Storm trooper, or that he came to his senses, it's just that it was such a Deus Ex Machina way in which they did it. No character conditioned as a child to be a combat soldier is likely to behave just like that in such a namby pamby way. If so they really needed to embellish why. He just makes for a real 'weak' character after that since he's always bent on chickening out. :think:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Apparently that was the first time he was in a real battle so I guess it might make sense why all the sudden he couldn't handle it? Otherwise ...... :snathink:

Also, as for these new millennials, they are all bits and parts of the original characters, just swapped and switched around. If anything, Poe was more like Han but with Luke's X-Wing skills amped up.

Finn is actually kind of unique, if it wasn't for stereotype blackman parts. He still needs to find his own identity. :LOL:

Rey clearly has to be Luke's daughter or something. She has all the traits of Anakin/Luke/Leia combined i.e. good with mechanicals/repairing, is a pretty fine pilot herself, and with her hidden fighting and force skills, come on, it doesn't take a genius to see where it could go.

Again, unless they gives us a complete 180 which would be pretty bold of them. They could go anywhere now that the Episode IV homage is done. Hell it's even possible that Rey could turn dark and Kylo comes back to the light (Even after killing his father). :LOL:
Dank Buttsen

Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

The whole thing about him being his first battle shouldn't really mean anything though :think: He was taken away as a child and trained, all those years he was having doubts? Surely he would be trained so much that he wouldn't know to do anything different than fight for the First Order.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's a massive difference between training where fake simulations and what not come into play, and then the real thing comes and you are actually killing real people. :ohn:

That's why I say Finn is unique. He's the type of character that clearly isn't so typically set good or evil and black or white ( :LOL: ) like in the past. Instead of being a blind brainwashed pure evil guy, he actually has a conscious and is still figuring it out his own sense of purpose. In other words, a bit of Luke in him just like when he started out in Episode IV. Young, brash, impatient, ignorant. He still needs tiem to grow.

An analogy to real life which something young kids these days need to learn or don't realise. :P :evillaugh:
Dank Buttsen

fatslacker
Custom Rank: Noobster

Post by fatslacker »

Luke was in drafts a girl, they re-purposed that and we get Rey. I liked it still. Women kicking asses without sexualizing them with "blaster bullet goes here" cleavage window and stuff. That forehead kiss tho. She'd chide you for holding her hand but she'd give you a smack LOL.
Unpersoned
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Much nerd and theory time! :snathink: :LOL:

I mentioned elsewhere how TFW seems to have ideas and similarities to a certain Star Wars game series, and that is the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise, which was also part of the old EU.

So get this......

Brief summary........ Kyle Katarn, the main character of those games was once a former Imperial Stormtrooper who defected to the Rebellion, and also later became a Jedi Knight/Master. His character himself is also many elements of Han and Luke combined. Other significant story plots includes him edging towards the Dark Side, Dark Jedi and the Valley of the Jedi. (These games are currently on Steam's Xmas sale too so give them a go if you have the chance. They still consistently remain some of the best SW games ever.)

From the EU New Republic/New Jedi Order era books, you had a Ben Skywalker (Luke's son) and Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus (Han and Leia's son). How about when Chewie dies saving one of Han's other children, Anakin Solo ..... from a moon drop! :LOL:

Seems like familiar story ideas don't you think? :LOL:

Basically going by what has happened in TFW.....

-Finn could potentially be a Kyle Katarn type? :think:
-Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is practically the idea of Ben and Jacen combined. And considering Kylo is actually not a Sith, yet is on the Dark Side and also conflicted, his position is similar to the "Dark Jedi" concept. :pi:
-We find that it wasn't Chewie that died, but Han! And the hilarious irony being that it is still related to a Han Solo offspring! :lol:
-Luke literately is the "Valley of the Jedi". In the Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight game, a major plot point was that a map was required to find that secret location, with both good and bad guys searching for it. Funny huh? :lol:
-Hell even in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, one of Luke's disciples (Desann) turned against him and became the main villian of the game. :lol:

So yeah, you can see why it comes as no surprise for any long time Star Wars fan to notice if Disney/Lucasfilm are cherry picking ideas and concepts from the old EU books, games, comics etc to use as material for the new trilogy movies. :lol:

I mean what next, an Admiral Thrawn character or the dreaded Yuuzhan Vong? :LOL:

With Benicio del Toro in Episode VIII, people are already suspecting that he could play a Thrawn, which quite honestly for me would be awesome since he would look the part. :lol:

The whole racial issue with the Galactic Empire i.e. old white supremacist men and Thrawn, a high ranking alien and eventual remnant leader, was why the character was so interesting and became popular.

When you think also about it, Snoke himself is obviously not human, and he leads the First Order. So looks like that part is already done. :pi:
Dank Buttsen