The Anime Chat Haus

Talk about whatever.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Dazzy, iheartibuki

MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: The Anime Chat Haus

Post by MisterHentai »

I wish there was a second season of Skip Beat. :okay:

It's one of my favourite shoujo series ever, for it's comedy and one of Marina Inoue's best roles, and after marathoning it this weekend, it just makes me :sadserah: there wasn't more. :runcry:
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

I had more catchup marathons these past few weeks, mostly in the romance and fantasy genres. :LOL:

Prepare for a giant blabbing summary. :LOL:

Now for the romance......

White Album, which I remember dropping when it first aired back in 2009 because after the first few episodes, I just gave up :pi: . It was too slowly paced and awkward in it's characters and overall direction. I was only interested at first since it's a Leaf VN adaptation and the ToHeart series is my favourite from them. After finally watching it thorough, .........ehhhh .... it was still quite hard to stomach. Main character is a dumb POS retard (That is the best compliment to give him because he really is a dumbass) and again it's slow pacing and narrative was quite frustrating. Not even Mizuki Nana's character was able to save it since she kind of went nowhere, but positives were that the setting and songs were good. Then of course there was the hawt seductive and manipulative manager character. :lol:

As for the songs..

Very nostalgic 90's feel to them since that was also the time period the story was set in, with a music and idol industry scenario. The original VN itself was from the 90's, which also came out after ToHeart.

-----

Now those songs would play an important part for it's sequel, White Album 2, which aired in 2013. Story here is set a decade later with a new generation of characters. While I do prefer the university/young adult life setting of the first, and the second is your typical highschool scenario, I still prefer the second since the anime was better told and paced. WA1 spanned 26 episodes and WA2 was only 13, and yet it was still a better focused story, much in part because of a smaller cast of characters, whom are also better characterised. I mean it's one boy, two girls, all three in a band (Hence why the songs of the first are an important component) and then the dramatic romance to follow? Sure! A simple love triangle that is easier to follow :lol: . It's a shame this ended on a sad note (Don't worry it's not School Days level of sad :LOL: !) and there wasn't more since the WA2 VN had some more expanded content i.e. going from their highschool years to university life and the aftermath or paths of what they would go through.

I really like the anime's opening song, which is also the band's "original" and also from the game itself.

-----

Moving to a more happier but also with some drama, Golden Time. Based on a light novel and also aired in 2013 with 24 episodes. It's animated by J.C Staff and for me, they are known to always do some really good shoujo romcom adaptations. Past examples are Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile which are some of my absolute favourites and so Golden Time is up with them. To sum this one up, more university life, love triangles, amnesia, stalkerish Yui Horie girlfriend character. This one was really enjoyable and so much fun.

I'll let the opening speak for itself. :LOL:

-----

Now for the fantasy, which are either simple fantasy, RPG related or a mixture of both. :LOL:

I finally watched Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation, 12 episodes, aired and finished earlier this year. Not great but still okay. It's highschooldesu and how the game itself is suddenly REAL! At least this series is one way to promote Sega's game and Sony's :faphand: but still so clich├®. :lol:

-----

Lord Marksman and Vanadis. Based on a light novel, 13 episodes and aired in 2014. Hory sheet! Why wasn't this adapted longer or with a sequel to continue on? This is literately Valkyria Chronicles but more medieval and fantasy alternate Europe setting. The lore, weapons, powers, there is much they could do but this was too short. And the way that they summarise the major battles is a interesting yet time saving way to portray it (Strategy map, 3D graphics chessboard piece etc), something which I would've liked to have seen for the VC anime itself. This does have typical harem tripe, but ehh, the War Maidens are strong female characters with elemental abilities and the main character himself does have a unique ability for a regular guy.

It has an epic opening song though.

-----

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? or DanMachi for short :lol:. Based on a light novel, 13 episodes and aired in 2015. This series is a :wtf: since it's practically fantasy but with rules that to us as the viewer would be considered a videogame. Of course, the main character is voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, who has been so typecast lately ever since Sword Art Online to play these sorts of characters and appropriate since both series share similarities in their RPGness. It still is fun though, has some good intense action scenes, great comedy, and now I can see why the character of Hestia has become of the biggest waifus in recent times. :lol:

-----

Finally there is "And you thought there is never a girl online?" :LOL:. 12 episodes and aired earlier this spring. I wish there was more because this one is such a cute series, including the artstyle especially for the girls. It's basically Boku wa Tomodachi + MMORPG, like an intentional parody of the fantasy genre, along with real life stigmas of the Internet and MMO games. Hell the voice cast itself seems to go with the joke as they all voiced characters in even the above mentioned related fantasy shows :LOL:. As someone who's spent an enormous chunk of their 20's playing MMO's in the past, experiencing the good and bad, how it can affect people, this show resonates well with me for it's light-hearted take on the matter.

And I actually like it's kawaii Jpop opening. :beauty: :LOL:

Ako has become a new adorable waifu because if girls like her do exist .......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
king.neko212
Porter
Custom Rank: Why?

Post by king.neko212 »

OOH MY GOSH!!!! I LOVE GOLDEN TIME :o :o :oh:

its sooo good, i watched it when it first aired cause i had no life back then :LOL: its rly good, i loved the plot a lot, and the ending was kinda nice, and i like how they added Nana :LOL:

and "And you thought there is never a girl online?" i also watched in when in its season :LOL: i rly loved that too, although there were a lot of :facepalm: moments, especially when he confesses his love to her and she keeps rejecting him, and that shes his "wife" :facepalm: :lol:
the op is quite nice too, its sth ud :twerk: to in ur seifuku :LOL: , as for the artstyle, its probably one of my fav artstyle "types" tbh, especially the mouth area :oh:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah Ako's delusional character is what makes her :LOL: .

And it's not just the lips, but also the eyes, blushed cheeks and the very noticeable pink fingernails, this one especially since it adds that extra girliness.

Oh yeah, and then there is Saito-sensei's tight Daz. :oh: :LOL:
Dank Buttsen

king.neko212
Porter
Custom Rank: Why?

Post by king.neko212 »

its just :beauty: :excited: over all :oh: :oh: :twerk:

i dont like the teacher's online char tbh :LOL:
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

I dived into a couple of the light novels and now it makes sense since the illustrations are done by Hisasi, a H-Manga artist, so the anime tries to be a bit faithful to it. :LOL:

And yeah it's definitely similar to Haganai since the main club characters each suffer from a form of communication and social anxiety and therefore the not-Ragnarok Online :lol: game is the tool that bridges them all together. :lol:

Hideki has problems relating to girls, both in the game and in real life. (Well that's typical MC trope!)
Ako is a recluse/anti-social hence her delusion between game and real life. (So kind of obvious why they are perfect and cute foils for each other)
Akane for all her exterior wanting to be a normal highschool girl that is tough on anything "digusting", really is but a closet otaku herself.
Kyoh is surprisingly a loner with no friends, due to her own social status being a rich girl and the Student Council President etc. When she's that busty and attractive? :wtf: :lol:

This series would've still be appealing to me back in 2004-2006 when I was playing RO heavily as well. :LOL:
Dank Buttsen

Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

Post by Vonman »

Been watching anime remake of Berserk for weeks now, i can say its darn good (episode 9 atm) :oh:

My only gripe is that the computer CGI- or 3D models that they used for the characters and stuff sometimes look really odd and made the animations/frame per second gets really choppy. it would be nice if they could just stick with HQ animation just like from the movie. maybe using computer 3D is alot cheaper these days?... idk :?
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

It's exactly that. 3DCG cel-shading has been the way forward to cut costs and save time.

That and the film series and current Anime TV series are done by different studios hence the differences in animation techniques and styles.

I actually prefer the use of CG especially for the mecha genre since the technology, artistic styles and framerate these days are much better than they once were.

For example the Gundam series still mostly uses traditional animation (The mechs mostly) and quite honestly, judging the from the shows that they've had these past few years (With the exception of Unicorn), I honestly think they are incredibly dated and stiff now. It's really time for them to move on, that and producing better quality looking stuff since the visual styles and character aesthetics of late are too kiddie like.
Dank Buttsen

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Only just started to watch Cross Ange. Much 35GB download in 1 hour 30 minutes. :yes: :LOL:

But hory sheeet, much epic female voice cast! Already right off the bat it's Nana Mizuki, Eri Kitamura and Yukari Tamura. Rori Queen overload? That's an understatement! :LOL:

And I can definitely tell this one is animated by the same studio at Sunrise who also did Valvrave the Liberator since the visual aesthetic, bright colours, cel-shaded CGI, and just overall high quality remains consistent. They know how to design some nice looking gurls that's for sure! :LOL:

I hope these guys can be given a new Gundam project in the future as they've already proven themselves. Whilst Valvrave was pretty stupid in it's story and characters (Most likely will be the same for Cross Ange :lol: ), one thing I definitely cannot fault is their overall visual style for these two, which I personally think is some of the best Sunrise has done recently. To me, it definitely beats the majority of Gundam shows for the past decade or so. Not since Gundam 00 and Gundam Unicorn have I been impressed since they gradually became worse and too young generation focused i.e. AGE, Build Fighters, and even the recent one, Iron-Blooded Orphans.
Dank Buttsen

MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Wow I can't believe I missed out on Natsuiro Kiseki.

Not only is it another gurl based Sunrise anime, but actually an original production too in the Slice of Life genre (They even tongue-in-cheek managed to put a Gundam cameo in there :lol: ), and one that is practically made for the Sphere VA's e.g. :sadserah: as a Resbo! :LOL:
Dank Buttsen