Oldheads Goin' Back to School

Talk about whatever.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Dazzy, iheartibuki

TheBlackPigeon
Custom Rank: City Park Superhero

Oldheads Goin' Back to School

Post by TheBlackPigeon »

In a matter of days, I will be entering the academic world for the first time in fifteen years. After all the stupid decisions I've made during my twenties, I'd never thought I would
see the day when I would decide to pursue a college education.

And yet, here I am. Already $6000 in loan debt, and looking forward to writing a new chapter in my life. When it's all said and done, I hope to walk away from the experience with an
IT/Comp. Science degree, self-discipline, and if I'm lucky....a bit more confidence in myself.

Sure, it's probably not a big deal to some of you. Lots of older folks go to college all the time. But, it's kind of a big deal for me, and I just wanted to share it with you all. And if you take away
anything from this, it's that you really can do anything you set your mind to. You just have to want it bad enough. And believe me....I want it bad.
GamerGate is basically Reality TV for nerds.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Oldheads Goin' Back to School

Post by semory »

Never too old to do anything; I know one person in their 60's who a few years back got their PHD in CS and is now teaching at Cal Poly Pomona. Got only a few years to teach, but anything is better than staying stuck in same shitty place you've been the last X years.
TheBlackPigeon
Custom Rank: City Park Superhero

Post by TheBlackPigeon »

Ain't that the truth, Ruth!

It's a good feeling to finally have some direction in your life. 8-)
GamerGate is basically Reality TV for nerds.
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Post by MisterHentai »

I agree, never too old to do anything. When I did Computer Science back in University, a 50-60-ish dude was there too, though unfortunately after a month he quit as he probably realised it just wasn't some simple IT course. He was probably thinking WTF is this Java or Visual.NET nonsense? I just want to learn to type a document. :lol:

But yeah, from my personal experience in the last decade and at least in the UK, most degrees aren't worth shit really. A simple IT certification in whatever field you want (Whether it is a simple A+/A+ Networking or whatever) and some experience seems to be more than enough to land you something.

Besides if it was cheap, I would LOOOOOOVE to go back into education again, Fuck real life :lol:. But fees these days are ridiculous.
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Good Luck, it's never too late to learn. School is about showing you can see something through and complete what you start. It took me longer than usual to finish, but I don't regret doing so.
Bluej97
Porter
Custom Rank: Porter

Post by Bluej97 »

Agree with everybody here, never too old to do anything :)

Good luck ! :)
"FRESSHU BAKED DESU CHAN STIXXXLUV EXXXCLUSIVE PREORDER NOW!"
-RoXXXeh-
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Bluej97 wrote:Agree with everybody here, never too old to do anything :)

Good luck ! :)
Erm..

:lol: uh anyyywaayyyyy.... :)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."