Help with Alpha channels

Post your works in progress here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

trexjones

Help with Alpha channels

Post by trexjones »

Hey guys! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this, but I'm trying to put the models together from the old Ghostbusters games, and I'm having troubles with the hair/eyelashes. I've attached the diffuse for the heads that includes the hair textures, and I know there's an alpha in there, I'm just tripping over on how I should be using it. I keep thinking I need to isolate it, then drop the needed parts onto it using a clipping mask and then saving it as a separate alpha, but I can't figure out how to isolate the alpha section itself. I'm probably overlooking something REALLY straightforward, but it's late and my real work is draining my brain! :P

https://mega.nz/#!nERCWaTC!7z6PlqBlbX3I ... RbO5qLUZd8
Ems
Porter
Custom Rank: Stashing stuff I like.

Re: Help with Alpha channels

Post by Ems »

I don't think there's a need to separate anything, if you convert this model to XPS, then for hair, brows and lashes just use render group like 25 which allows transparency (or reads info from alpha if you will).

Anyhow, the transparency channel in this texture is really really faint, well, almost non-transparent.
I don't know how the model is constructed, but the texture suggests me that the hair, lashes, brows, and eye iris are separate meshes. If they are not, with the current alpha will make skin transparent - this will require opening the model in some 3d editor and separating those from the head. If they are, then the current map may be useful as it is, but it's possible that you'll need to add contrast to the alpha channel, so that the completely transparent areas are black, and non transparent - white. Then again if you do, the edges of the non-transparent parts are pretty jaggy, but when I look at the game screens, it's how it is supposed to look like. Just adding auto-contrast (if photoshop, I dunno where you edit your stuff, but every editor has some sort of auto-levels nowadays) will do.

That's what I get from this texture and looking at game screenshots.