Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Post your XNALara tutorials here!

Moderators: Runa, Dazzy

Porter
User avatar
Posts: 3510
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm
Location: Cyberspace
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby ProtocolX27 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:42 pm

ultrablue87 wrote:
You sir are a lifesaver!
I downloaded 2.66 and everything works like a charm :hug2:
Transaparency is displayed the way it was supposed to be, I'm glad I wasn't doing anything wrong,
it was just the new program version "fault" :D
Thnaks again for your patience, I'll make sure to upload my first render here when I'm done.


Glad it worked. Other's paved the way in figuring that stuff out, I just rehashed what they said. ;)
Image

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1800
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:41 am
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby Runa » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Von, do you know by any chance how to add a realistic eye reflection like this one? I asked the user and he said that an easy way would be mixing together diffuse and glossy... but I didn't obtain a very nice result, I don't know if that depens on the fact that I put wrong values/settings or what.

Also, I was wondering how to get a glowing effect like the one here... when I use Emissive option the meshes actually start emitting light... but I don't know, the result looks different, not "reflective" and glowing at all :\
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."

User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 am

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby Oyikell » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:29 am

@Runa: About the eye reflection, you should use a mix node and try to apply a glossy node and a diffuse node. Lower thwe value in the Glossy node nd that should be enough.

About the glowing effect, you can add to the emmission node a "falloff" node that decreases the intensity of the light. I don't know, it's the first thing that I thought after I saw the pic. Hope it helps.

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1800
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:41 am
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby Runa » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Oyikell wrote:@Runa: About the eye reflection, you should use a mix node and try to apply a glossy node and a diffuse node. Lower thwe value in the Glossy node nd that should be enough.

About the glowing effect, you can add to the emmission node a "falloff" node that decreases the intensity of the light. I don't know, it's the first thing that I thought after I saw the pic. Hope it helps.


I'll try, thanks! :D

But with this "falloff" node? It's not exactly clear to me...
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."

User avatar
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 pm
Location: Malaysia

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby IshikaHiruma » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:39 am

So, I follow all the tutorials that were provided here but I got some minor issues regarding on my render. I found a scatter of 'noise' in every bump maps that I've setup the node with. It's kinda look jagged and distorted at the same time which is not a very good thing to see. How to smooth the render? And can we got some tutorial on lighting too? That would be a great help for sure. Thanks everyone~

EDIT: Never mind. I found the solution. It is simple though. Here's what I do :-
On Render tab, there's a Sampling sub-menu. I raise the Samples Render to for about 800 to 1000 and I keep the Preview to 10. Sometimes I raise it to 25 just in case. Sadly, more sample means more waiting time for the render to load but hey, the quality is better.
Image

The very look of judgment.

User avatar
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 am
Location: Poland
Custom Rank: Computer destroyer

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby Hiddenus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 am

IshikaHiruma wrote:So, I follow all the tutorials that were provided here but I got some minor issues regarding on my render. I found a scatter of 'noise' in every bump maps that I've setup the node with. It's kinda look jagged and distorted at the same time which is not a very good thing to see. How to smooth the render? And can we got some tutorial on lighting too? That would be a great help for sure. Thanks everyone~

EDIT: Never mind. I found the solution. It is simple though. Here's what I do :-
On Render tab, there's a Sampling sub-menu. I raise the Samples Render to for about 800 to 1000 and I keep the Preview to 10. Sometimes I raise it to 25 just in case. Sadly, more sample means more waiting time for the render to load but hey, the quality is better.


Setting to so high number of samples is good only for indoor renders. Because if you render character outside with pretty much no enviorment then mostly 256-512 will do (like memory RAM xD)

Runa wrote:Von, do you know by any chance how to add a realistic eye reflection like this one? I asked the user and he said that an easy way would be mixing together diffuse and glossy... but I didn't obtain a very nice result, I don't know if that depens on the fact that I put wrong values/settings or what.

Also, I was wondering how to get a glowing effect like the one here... when I use Emissive option the meshes actually start emitting light... but I don't know, the result looks different, not "reflective" and glowing at all :\


For eyes it's all about mixing diffuse and glossy. But to make glossy be strong, but not reflect everything you'll have to make ColorRamp connected to output of Glossy and connect it to Mix Factor. Then move sliders in ColorRamp to get wanted effect. That's at least how I making it.

This glowing effect is pretty much the post processing. I would have to try to achieve that material to know it's structure.
This is my world, my pencils and you have nothing to it.
Image

User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:40 pm
Custom Rank: n00b

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Postby HulkaPig » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Hey! i wrote a topic about 3d rendering software viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1158 changing it to blender cycles questions so i copy&paste my last reply here where belongs.

All right, searching through tons of models i found one easy for rendering, Bastet from Smite (4 textures only for the whole model, dif,light,norm,spec) and i really couldnt see any change using spec & normal in the pre-render mode :/ maybe i have no f* idea about setting those , i just followed the layouts by ProtocolX27 & Hiddenus... kinda http://xnalara.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=893#p56667

my setup:

Image

then 500 samples result with 2 planes sending lights, no tweks with textures/meshes only "remove doubles" which i forgot in the 1st pic (whole body):

http://a.pomf.se/iqtqyv.png

http://a.pomf.se/xrhhre.png

Lots of details with this quick pose made with XPS, things there look good but when you load the .obj in blender ... anyway nothing horrible i guess, those eyes tho...
Harder than i thought, posing requieres time and detail, now i know why many SFM guys QQ for IK rigs.

Leaving the pose details with XPS, i saw things that i must avoid next time with your help :D

1- The mesh lines.
I did the smooth & remove doubles, still, mesh shows with those edge lines as you can see in her arm & legs, Photoshop does the work but wanna avoid as much as possible that detail b4 rendering.

2- Light map.
didn't use any, do i need it ?

3- Render tab settings.
too much there, the Motion blur thing, Light path options, Performance tab (tile size, viewport, spatial splits..) The camera tab with things i have no idea about like "sensor" value, Depth of field (moving anything there doesnt change the "camera" view, so i dont touch it).
Some "render" tab tutorial around guys? (ye i kno, lazy guy :p )

Ohh almost forgot my 1st cycles try using that rexil anime girl, too grainy since i only set like 50 samples or something and those with 500 samples went directly to recycle bin, the relevant point is her face, dunno what i did in the second pic to get rid of the weird texture over the face but no more weirdness there, i f up moving meshes tho.

http://a.pomf.se/svmojp.png
http://a.pomf.se/zchowm.png

BTW i found some epic guys in youtube, i recommend to all watch everything, thx to "BorngCG" i learned the UV unwrap cutting through the entire model, "marking seams" making a totally new UV for texture editing, currently this Bastet model is my test subject, gonna cut her and make a new texture. And then "Andrew" with a blender cycles introduction, very useful.

http://youtu.be/l-Zkt3uAeO0

http://youtu.be/UTwXG3K4l2g

Previous

Return to Tutorials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest