Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Post your XNALara tutorials here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

Vonman
Custom Rank: Oil King

Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Post by Vonman »

Hello Ladies and Gents, Boys and Gals! :)

Here is the basic node settings that include textures, bump, and alpha to get you started :) I have no experience making tutorials, so I just write what's most important. I'll keep revising this tutorial based on your feedback. Feel free to ask if you have any questions! ^^

Also, I'm no expert, just doing my best to help. I'm still learning myself. So I apologize beforehand if there are any mistakes :lol:

:!: version used for this tutorial is Blender 2.63. Remember, always update to the latest version of Blender as more features and bug fixes will be implemented for Cycles.

NOTES:

i) If there is no alpha used, simply remove the Mix Shader and Transparent nodes, and connect the Diffuse BDSF output directly to Material Output > Surface.

ii) To add the mix node: Add Node (Shift + A or Right Mouse) ---> Color ---> Mix

iii) The value on the mix node controls the strength of the bump effects. Raise the number higher to increase bump visibility, or lower to reduce it.

iv) In case the bump doesn't work (so far never happened to me but just in case), you can also switch from "Mix" to "Multiply". Not sure what the difference is, I will try research into it.

:!: IMPORTANT :!:
It is highly suggested that you DO NOT use .png format image. Cycles doesn't have a proper support for .png, therefore using it might give you faulty result. If the image is .png, please convert it to other format like .dds or .tga

Next Tutorial, I'll teach you how to mix shaders! ;)
Last edited by Vonman on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Blender Cycles + XnaLara Tutorials

Post by iheartibuki »

Man, I can give you a big hug right now! :hug: Looking forward to more :D
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Vonman

Post by Vonman »

iheartibuki wrote:Man, I can give you a big hug right now! :hug: Looking forward to more :D
hahaha thanks! :lol: i hope its simple and easy to understand :D
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Vonman wrote:
Clear as day, man! I mean we can always bug you if we hit a snag. :twisted:
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Anx

Blender Cycles how to correctly setup bump maps

Post by Anx »

Briefly and succinctly :hug: Cycles bump maps in a nutshell :hug2: Thanks thatÔÇÖs really helpful.

A very extensive manual starting from the basics: http://www.man-i-can.com/cycles-rendere ... bump-maps/
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

Thanks, I definitely need to improve my blender skills :-) .
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Nice! I always got confused with the settings cuz I forgot em xD But I aint gonna try Cycles again, it made my CPU work too much and my GPU aint supported, I dont want to burn out my lappy xD
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Vonman

Post by Vonman »

iheartibuki wrote:
Vonman wrote:
Clear as day, man! I mean we can always bug you if we hit a snag. :twisted:
Haha sure thing! youre most welcome! :D glad i could help! ;)
Anx wrote:Briefly and succinctly :hug: Cycles bump maps in a nutshell :hug2: Thanks thatÔÇÖs really helpful.

A very extensive manual starting from the basics: http://www.man-i-can.com/cycles-rendere ... bump-maps/
Thank you very much! :D yes that was the original way to do it if you made models from scratch XD fortunately for xnalara, it can be simplified... since the UV is now auto and the bump etc. is pre-made :lol:
semory wrote:Thanks, I definitely need to improve my blender skills :-) .
youre most welcome! :D give it a try haha. let me know if theres anything i can help ;)
TRDaz wrote:Nice! I always got confused with the settings cuz I forgot em xD But I aint gonna try Cycles again, it made my CPU work too much and my GPU aint supported, I dont want to burn out my lappy xD
lol you should try get a desktop pc someday. pc gaming aint that bad... super HD textures await you! :lol:
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

My bro has got one but he never lets me use it. Its the one he built so it would be perfect for pc gaming and cycles rendering but NOOOOO! he doesnt let me use it. D:
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Vonman

Post by Vonman »

TRDaz wrote:My bro has got one but he never lets me use it. Its the one he built so it would be perfect for pc gaming and cycles rendering but NOOOOO! he doesnt let me use it. D:
you bro sounds like my sister D: well hang in there Darren! xD you can get a job soon and save money to make one haha :D

Im currently making preparations to post the next tutorial. If not today, maybe tomorrow :)