Catia to XNALara General thread

Post your XNALara tutorials here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Catia to XNALara General thread

Post by RoxasKennedy »

Since I use Catia mostly for schoolwork, I decided to fiddle one day to see if I can make use of the stuff I make inside it, and as it turns out, I can actually export stuff from it and import it into Blender.

Example of highly advanced stuff you can do inside it:

But I am going to keep it to a minimum, AKA only stuff like weapons and simple objects.

So this page will be reserved for the tutorial links. :P
Content
1. Requirements
2. Setting up the workspace
3. Main window guide
Last edited by RoxasKennedy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
RoxasKennedy
Porter

1. Requirements

Post by RoxasKennedy »

To be able to work with Catia MY WAY, you will need:

-Catia (I will be using the V5R19 for these tutorials, there are more advanced versions of it, but they are a bit different) (the program costs money, BTW, so Idoncurr how you get this tool, if you either yarr it or buy it)

-3DSMax (It will accept some formats Catia can export, like .stl)

OPTIONAL:

-Blender (If you are a noob at 3DSMax, use it only to apply textures and create UV maps for the item)
Last edited by RoxasKennedy on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Re: Catia to XNALara General thread

Post by Dazzy »

Woooooop woooooooop, cant wait for moar! :P
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
RoxasKennedy
Porter

2. Setting up the workspace

Post by RoxasKennedy »

In order to make items in Catia, we will need to setup the scene!

1. Open up Catia

2. After it loads up, close the already opened scene.

3. Now this is the fun part. Since Catia has so many options since it's mostly used for engineering, you would normally get lost without instructions.
What I am mostly using is Part Design. To access it, click the Start option, then choose Mechanical Designs->Part Design

4. After you do that, a pop-up window will appear. Just press "Ok" button on it.

5. And your scene has been prepared! :D

Stay tuned for next tutorial, which will cover the options inside the Part Design which you will be using to make a item :D
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Re: Catia to XNALara General thread

Post by Love2Raid »

Very interesting, thanks Roxas. :D
RoxasKennedy
Porter

3. Main window guide

Post by RoxasKennedy »

Now then, since I taught your dumb ass how to setup the workspace ( :LOL: ) now it's time to teach you what all of this stuff actually is!

Well, at least the ones we will use. :pi:

1. Sketch
This button opens up the Sketch Mode, where you basically draw out the shapes which will then become the objects (explained later), one could say it's something like Edit Mode in Blender.
Before you select Sketch mode, you either need to select the appropriate plane you will draw on (point 9), or one of the surfaces on the object you make if you want to do additional stuff on it BEFORE selecting Sketch Mode.

2. Pad
This button does the magic. This button allows you to turn your 2D sketches into 3D objects. Simple as that.

3. Pocket
This button basically allows you to remove parts of objects done with Pad thanks to sketches.

4. Shaft
This button works similarly like Pad, except it does radial objects (like for example, pipes).
In order for it to work, you would need to set up an Axis in Sketch mode (explained later)

5. Edge Fillet
This button smooths out the edges based on a given radius.

6. Zoom Out

7. Zoom In

8. Planes
Clicking on any of the planes will show you the object you're working on in one of many Axis in sketch mode.

Hope you understood most of it :pi: :D
Next tutorial will explain Sketch Mode