Help request...maybe small tutorial?

Post your XNALara tutorials here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ssringo

Help request...maybe small tutorial?

Post by ssringo »

I've been trying to add bones to a static object (large scenes) so that I can move and pose individual parts of the overall model for lining everything up better.

I follow what's listed on this page

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... _Pro/Bones

and it gets me to the point where I can pose everything fine in Blender but I get errors when trying to export.

Screen of the errors

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6623/574k.jpg

I don't need anything fancy with the bones. Just to be able to move a relatively static object within the overall static model.

Thought something like this would be simple for a noob like myself but alas. Any help would be appreciated.
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Re: Help request...maybe small tutorial?

Post by Dazzy »

rather than using that tutorial, use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43USx0snhcg
its the most simple one so far and doesnt usually have errors unless you do sth wrong :)
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Well, the videos didn't address what I was asking to do exactly but it did show me how to achieve what I wanted without creating bones from scratch. Used another scene that had a few poseable objects and copied the bones over. It actually exported, with a few warnings, but loads into XPS okay. The weights are screwed up but at least I can move the parts and I learned the basics of weight painting earlier today.

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have thought to look at CarbinT's video even though I knew about them. :hug:
Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

Im glad that it at least helped :D
I used that to start rigging and it helped alot, and learning of simple weight painting will easily fix those problems, so you probably have it sorted :)
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Didn't want to start a new thread so...

TRDaz, I used your .psk importer for Blender to check out some Marvel Heroes files that have been released on Facepunch. Seems to work fine, though I had to tell it where the textures were at, and even seems to have proper bone weights. On a whim I exported the model as a mesh.ascii and imported to XPS to see how messed up it was. And it certainly was messed up!

After importing the model, bones work fine but there are at least 3 "copies" of the model that the bones move. One copy seems to be completely static, one rotates with the 'root' bone and another moves with the rest of the bones. 2 "copies" seem to have relatively fine textures while a third is completely black.

It looks bad, but certainly salvageable with the proper skill. I'm watching carbinT's videos again atm but any advice would be welcome.

I have a long weekend so I'm hoping to learn how to at least port something basic.

EDIT:

Okay, I seem to have fixed the issue. I needed to assign render groups and that fixed all the problems! I still have one issue remaining that I want to fix if possible. The model is rotated 90 degrees to the right and the bones are flipped from how regular released models work.

Example:
Model 1 (models that regular porters release) : I want to lower the model's arm to waist height, I use the Z-axis (third slider) and move the slider down (negatives).
Model 2 (model I'm currently working on): I want to do the same thing but I have to use the X-axis (first slider) and move the slider up (positives).

Google-fu is failing me on what to do here.
Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

Mhm... i have not yet tried out Marvel Heroes with the blender psk importer so im not really sure... do you have 3DS Max? 3DS Max works fine with the models if you have that, using the ActorX psk importer from the umodel page. if you do not have 3ds max i could check an import of one of the models and see if i have the same as you :)
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

No, I don't have 3DS Max. Even if I did, I'd have to learn another program and I barely function in Blender as is :lol:

A simple rotation of the model+skeleton seems like it should work. I tried rotating both and exporting. The model saves in the new position but the skeleton doesn't. For the couple of bones that still line up properly, the model works like everyone else's models do.

In any event, I'm enjoying learning with the MH models. They're fairly simple so I don't have a lot of files to mess with and I can see progress quickly.

Edit: I'm a 'tard. I was rotating the skeleton in 'Object Mode'. When I tried rotating it in 'Edit Mode', it saved properly.
Last edited by ssringo on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

you wouldnt have to learn that much for an import an export task :P

mhm, you could try going into edit mode in blender with the skeleton, selecting the bones that are in the wrong place and rotate/move them to the correct place :)
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

On the subject of 3DS Max, which version would you recommend if all I'm doing is XNALara models; so exporting compatibility with Blender 1.49b would be needed.
Dazzy
Site Admin

Post by Dazzy »

I use 3DS Max 2011, because i need that for certain importers for GameAssassin etc. But whichever one that the XNALara Importer/Exporter supports is fine.
BTW, sorry i didnt reply about the model, ill send you a PM now :)