Help request...maybe small tutorial?

Post your XNALara tutorials here!

Moderators: Dazzy, Runa

ssringo

Re: Help request...maybe small tutorial?

Post by ssringo »

Instead of making a new thread I'll just post here!

I've searched around the net but come up empty on this. In Blender 2.49 what would cause a mesh to show up as white or invisible? I can open the texture in the UV/image editor and it shows up just fine on the model from there but not when adding the texture like normal.

If it helps, I'm messing with The Wolf Among Us models using the tools from xentax. I can import them into 3ds max 2010 and apply textures there but after exporting and importing to blender I have this issue. I'm obviously missing something as there is a person rigging them for SFM just fine (i've actually ported a couple of his releases over to XNA but I don't want to rerelease his work and it doesn't help me with the issue either). I've left that user a message but haven't heard back from him yet either.

:evil:
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

ssringo wrote:Instead of making a new thread I'll just post here!

I've searched around the net but come up empty on this. In Blender 2.49 what would cause a mesh to show up as white or invisible? I can open the texture in the UV/image editor and it shows up just fine on the model from there but not when adding the texture like normal.

If it helps, I'm messing with The Wolf Among Us models using the tools from xentax. I can import them into 3ds max 2010 and apply textures there but after exporting and importing to blender I have this issue. I'm obviously missing something as there is a person rigging them for SFM just fine (i've actually ported a couple of his releases over to XNA but I don't want to rerelease his work and it doesn't help me with the issue either). I've left that user a message but haven't heard back from him yet either.

:evil:
So funny you should mention this, I'm testing the xentax tools from RTB too. So far what I've learned is that single mesh characters (those with one .d3dmesh file, like Snow from episode 4) have their UV laid out just right so applying them in max you get the correct appearance. Multiply mesh characters like Bigby (separate head, mouth and body meshes) have a bit of UV problems. I'm still in the process of figuring out how to fix this unfortunately.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

I've noticed that too, i've been porting Snow from Ep1 and she had uv errors on her face and hands, luckily i had a rip from ninja ripper so i BWCed the meshes to get it to have the correct UV.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

That's weird. The latest TellTale maxscript from RTB exports Snow beautifully correct (from episode 4 anyways) with perfect weights and UVs. I'm planning on releasing her today LOL.
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

:okay:
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

hahaha why u guys forget about dibs thread?
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Thanks for the response. I feel better about not knowing wtf to do since the veterans haven't figured it out either :XD: It just seems so weird to me that the model looks fine in Max and looks fine when using the UV editor in blender but not when applying textures directly to the model in blender.

Edit: removed quote since I derped while reading it.
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

The guy who was porting to SFM responded to my question about the UV problems and said he wasn't doing anything extra to the models (that would affect textures). After being irritated for a minute a lightbulb went off in my head!

Imported to 3DS Max 2010 with RTB's tools, exported as FBX. Used Noesis to import the FBX and then export to PSK. Finally used Daz's PSK import tool (it was yours right?) to get the model into Blender. Granted the model is flipped upside down and a millimeter in size but I was able to apply textures and they showed up properly! Moved a few bones and everything seems to be working out okay.

It looks like the issue is the mesh.acii exporter. When I exported Nerissa's EP3 model to mesh.ascii I get the white/invisible mesh. Bypassing that plugin and textures are showing up properly. I haven't tested with other models just yet (and I need to actually put the model parts together now) but yeah. Give it a shot! I'm going to try a couple other models and see if this method works for them as well.

Edit: Tried the same thing with another model from EP3 (Holly). Exporting to mesh.ascii screwed up the UV mapping and bypassing it with FBX to PSK did not have UV issues. Upon further work I do run into some problems with UV's on some parts and have to rotate them around trying to line them up properly with the mesh.
thePWA
Porter

Post by thePWA »

Sounds like a good workflow, I'll try that.

Have you been able to get the "lines" textures for the characters to export right? Max 2012-run RTB script just produces a black .dds when exporting them.
ssringo

Post by ssringo »

Yeah lines are exporting fine on what I've tried. This is what Holly's lines looked like.

Unfortunately they look rather bad on the model using only the textures that are exported. I tried putting them directly on the model and putting them on the secondary meshes (as opposed to deleting them). I don't know how to create the extra textures that you used on Snow's release so maybe they look okay when someone with skills uses them :D. I should probably learn how since using only the exported textures makes the model look like a child's handiwork next to the models just released :lol: