Noesis question?

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

riccochet
Porter
Custom Rank: Low Poly Porter

Re: Noesis question?

Post by riccochet »

Yes, 3ds Max. I use the 2011 version, but any version should work.
You will need a few plugins and scripts for it though.
These would be:
  • mariokart64n's xnalara converter max script
    wunderboy's SMD importer for max
In noesis export the model to the SMD format. Make sure to check "Flip UV" and "Rotate 90"
in the extra parameters type "-scale 10" else your model will be quite small

Once you've done that, import it into max. You will notice the textures are not present on the model, this is not a problem as you can manually add them using the Material Editor.

After your model has its texture applied, run the xnalara converter script, save the file as generic_item.mesh.ascii in the location of your textures.

Open up XPS, go to "Modifiy" and select "Load generic Item" and tada... you have your model in XPS all rigged and ready for posing. You may want to rename the bones though.
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

In addition you can also export models in noesis using the actor x (.psk) format. An actor x importer for max is available via gildor.org
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
riccochet
Porter
Custom Rank: Low Poly Porter

Post by riccochet »

That too, but I've found that using SMD is better for me when doing PSP models
brionacs
Custom Rank: Whobuki?

Post by brionacs »

Alright, sorry for another lateness on responding to this due to more IRL business. That aside, it took me a while to learn a thing or two about 3ds max and I have to admit, I am liking it so far that the .SMD seems to be working like charm.
riccochet wrote:Once you've done that, import it into max. You will notice the textures are not present on the model, this is not a problem as you can manually add them using the Material Editor.
Although unfortunately, I seems to be encountering a problem in applying the material (a tad different UI to Blender made me a bit confused @.@). Granted, I understand already on how to apply the material to the mesh, but I can't get the mesh to "group" themselves into two or more groups. It always become one everytime I tried to click the mesh (like here), and the model itself got at least 7 textures. Tried to click 'n drag to choose the appropriate face to choose the part to apply the material didn't work as well (for me).

Any help on this? Also, is there any way to temporarily hide the bones in 3ds max? Another thanks in advance!

I'm such a dork, managed to map them correctly, hiding bones, yadda yadda.

However, one final problem (I hope). The textures are mostly well-placed on the model, except for the hair and eyes (it becomes like this:)

I am pretty sure that the material and the textures fit together in Max, but in XPS, that happen. Anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks!