Skinning question

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Ndoki

Skinning question

Post by Ndoki »

So I decided that since many people don't like getting nagged for requests, that I would try my hand and making my own skins for models.

So I got my model, found the texture file, opened it up in PSP9, changed some stuff, and reopened the model...

but all the changes I made are really low resolution compared to the rest of the model, and there is some artifacting (i.e. green pixels where I only colored white) and everything is just... off.

Now the part I don't get: I'm not exactly new to editing images, but I don't get what's going on. I'm using the same file, at the same resolution it was, but anything I change ends up being blown up really large and pixelated, whereas the rest of the untouched file is still high-resolution and detailed.

Does anyone know what's going on? I'm not compressing the file, same resolution, same size, same format. What's up?
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Skinning question

Post by iheartibuki »

I think I've had this issue before with Nina Williams' calves (see the Tekken Revolution default costume I ported) and IIRC I don't think there's a solution to it, although the original textures already looked like that when applied to the mesh as opposed to only looking like that after editing the textures. Do you mind posting pics? Also, what format are you using?
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

When skinning or texture modding make sure that anything colored white isn't pure white i.e. not r255 g255 b255 because xnalara/xps tends to display that as transparent. Also don't create textures that are small then blown up to bigger sizes, start/resize that image huge and make it smaller only after happy with the outcome (or use it as is). When using Photoshop export textures as .dds, .png or .tga and for the love of God NOT .jpg as that compresses the image horribly.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Ndoki

Post by Ndoki »

Yes! I found that out as well after some trial and error about not using pure white.

I also found that blowing up the file to a larger size is possible without messing things up. Not sure why the area I was working on was such lower resolution than the rest, but increasing the overall size seems to be a workaround.

Thanks!