Quality Drops after Rescaling Size

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

WuHT
Custom Rank: Soul Calibur Fan

Quality Drops after Rescaling Size

Post by WuHT »

I've been trying to save re-scaled models in XPS (the soul calibur models tend to have freakishly large hands) but some of the models seem to deteriorate in texture quality. I apologize since my xps specific vernacular is very layman's so I may describe the wrong thing.

Anyways here is a sample image with After on the right and Before on the left.
http://imgur.com/PrnUUG5

If you look at the tip of the left Viola's nose or upper lip or chin, it doesn't look as good as the Viola on the right (I can't for the life of me articulate why though).

the steps I use are
1) Rescale the body parts using the scale slider
2) Modify tab to Save GenericItem
3) Check off a) save as Generic_Item.mesh b) modify armature according to the current pose c) store pose as default pose d) copy textures e) make Generic Item
4) Then I save over the older Generic_item.mesh

Sometimes some of the models will need me to change the xps.xps file, which I assume is just a newer format. In the above image example, I've only resized the root-ground basically so I didn't even touch the face at all.

Am I doing something wrong here?
---
I appreciate all help provided
Runa

Re: Quality Drops after Rescaling Size

Post by Runa »

For a very strange reason I had the same issue in the past, just saving a new mesh.ascii file without rescaling (since the option wasn't available yet). My own way to fix it was to import the model in 3DS Max or blender, remove doubles and all and export again. Once opened in XPS, the new model had the same modifications I did, but the 'ruined' mesh was fixed and all smooth again.

Does this issue happens just with that model or every model? Did you try to make the modification again, maybe even closing and reopening XPS?
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
WuHT
Custom Rank: Soul Calibur Fan

Post by WuHT »

Runa wrote:Does this issue happens just with that model or every model? Did you try to make the modification again, maybe even closing and reopening XPS?
Not all models. I've resized and saved over most of my models so I have to redownload from the source to compare. When I realized how messed up the face was, I made variant sized versions of the newly downloaded models and it turned out to be very noticeable. However, i had a SC4 Ivy models that even turned out worse in that 80% of the textures appear to have disappeared, leaving some eyeballs, teeth and random body parts visible after doing the rescale/save as new generic item.

Restarting and loading the 2 comparative models again did not help. I should note that I'm scaling it from 100 to 38 for this particular model, so would the magnitude of the resizing have anyting to do with it ? I' tried making a few copies with sizes intermediate.. and it seems like it gets worse relative to how much I shrink it by. I've tried rescaling and comparing other models from 100 to 38 and a silmiar effect around the mouth/nose/lips/chin occurs. Hopefully its not a rounding type error

I have no idea how to work blender nor 3dsmax so I better put this on the table upfront early
---
I appreciate all help provided
Runa

Post by Runa »

Not sure, but yeah... it might be because of the huge difference in the size value. Thought it's strange and that shouldn't happen at all. Usually I scale directly in blender or in XPS with smaller values anyway... I think you should ask XNAaraL, the XPS creator, to see what he has to say about this issue, and in case, if that will be solved in the next version of the program (which will be XPS11).
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."