how to create software extractor (for my own)?

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

hexg0d18

how to create software extractor (for my own)?

Post by hexg0d18 »

i see this forum have deus ex extractor, really awesome. i want to make a software like that, a software for unpac game file, for my own game, i mean, any game i want to hack. where i can learn to create it? thanks fo any help.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: how to create software extractor (for my own)?

Post by iheartibuki »

I personally haven't created any extractors, but from what I've seen having a computer science degree or having a deeper understanding of how computers work (being able to use MS Excel does not count :) ) is the first step in being able to do anything extraordinary like reverse engineering games and being able to extract meaningful information from them. It is not something you learn overnight, and not something you learn to create from anybody. It takes years and years and years of experience. Our site owner (semory) has a lot of experience with this sort of thing and I'm pretty sure he agrees with me. He can probably elaborate on what you need. Good luck!
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: how to create software extractor (for my own)?

Post by semory »

CS degree would help with certain things, but using the Python extensions in Noesis would be the easiest way to make your own extractor. Noesis comes with several example scripts, and as long as you can learn the Python programming language and learn how to read hexadecimal integers and floats -- you're good. It also helps to take a look at xentax and look at chrrox's Noesis Python scripts... i.e. extract something that's already been extracted to see how it's done. I started with someone else's Resident Evil 5 code way back in 2010 or so. RTB got started with my Neptunia code for example too... It really does help to re-reverse something. I'm going to republish my source code with my tool next release too so it should also be a great resource to learn how to re-reverse things.