Xnalara - Change Materials - Combine Mesh Parts

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

WuHT
Custom Rank: Soul Calibur Fan

Xnalara - Change Materials - Combine Mesh Parts

Post by WuHT »

I wish to batch-edit a bunch of different materials (to all use the same, but new, diffuse texture).
In Blender they are a bunch of different finger parts (each finger has 3 joints) and I have selected each of the individual objects and joined them (Ctrl-J)

In XPS when I open the .xps file and hit Ctrl-M (for the Change Materials Tab), each of the finger joints remain as separated mesh parts. For ease of changing in the future, is there a way to ensure XPS's material editor displays them collectively as 1 mesh part rather than 30 different meshes (10x3).

I have a huge mesh part list (100+ meshes) and I wish to condense this because i'm at the porting stage and have to add the correct diffuse/light/spec/bump maps.

Thanks
---
I appreciate all help provided
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Re: Xnalara - Change Materials - Combine Mesh Parts

Post by Dazzy »

Is this with Blender 2.7? When joining meshes in that you need to remove the material from the list.
Select a material and click the - button next to it like shown in the image:

Repeat this with every material, but leave one. You need to have one.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
WuHT

Post by WuHT »

Dazzy wrote:...
Thank you Dazzy

The picture and description were very clear and understandable.

Now I can manage the hair parts much more easier as well.

I got a bonus question :

Is there a way to select materials/mesh/bones without clicking it in the Blender viewport? Rather it'd be easier for me to just scroll down a list and hit ctrl-click (kinda like make items optional in XPS is a breeze).
I don't want to misclick on a material/mesh (because they appear to overlap) and accidently merge them. ( I suppose I can check the list of combined materials to see if anything doesn't belong)
---
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

You can use the outliner, just change one of the windows to that and under the Armature section you will find a list of meshes, as well as bones under the second Armature section but I prefer to select bones in the 3D window instead.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
WuHT

Post by WuHT »

TY again.

Tremendously useful to scroll vertically (rather than horizontally) down to see bones/materials in Blender and the option to select via the list to find bones/materials.
I was always afraid of pressing random buttons in Blender (sometimes + means expand menu and sometimes it means add new stuff)
---