I'm new, and so, so confused. Too many bones. Please help!

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Enchantment1385
Custom Rank: noob

I'm new, and so, so confused. Too many bones. Please help!

Post by Enchantment1385 »

Hi!
My kind friend made one of my inquisitors from dragon age inquisition. I ripped the head eyes and lashes from game and she put them together in blender for me before sending it over as a xps file. only the file does not appear in my assets and when i drag and drop him into xps i am met with this error
ehhh... Life is never easy is it.jpg
he is there... but not.jpg
Honestly I have no idea where to start my friend doesn't use xps so is as lost as I am! Can anyone please help? I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, but i searched everywhere and attempted to fix this for the past 8 hours (no, sadly I'm not kidding.) and I am still no closer :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ems
Porter
Custom Rank: Stashing stuff I like.

Re: I'm new, and so, so confused. Too many bones. Please hel

Post by Ems »

First of all, unpack your model into a separate folder anywhere and/or move to XPS/data folder. XPS doesn't handle archives.
If stored in "data" folder, you can load the model via file>add model(s). Alternatively, you can set up a default folder via config>preferences.

The name of the mesh you try to load suggests this model is not textured properly. By that I mean, at all. There's a texture tool under "modify" menu, or ctrl+t, apply correct textures, render groups, change mesh names, set up spec power, etc, then save that model again modify>save Generic_Item... Download a proper, working model from a solid porter and see how those are textured.

When drag&dropping file with .xps extension into the viewport, it must be named xps.xps

The error doesn't make sense to me, been a while since I saw a similar one last, and it might be just that you try to load, so to speak, unfinished model from a bad location.

Help menu has 3d window control buttons listed.

If you can't make it work even a little still, I can help a bit (no rigging though) with putting it together (via PM though). I don't think we ever had "xnalara/xps basics" tutorial here, because we were mainly focused on conversion to XPS, but I guess you can find some tuts on deviantart? Just mind that there's, um, all kind of content there.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

you can also upload the file on here... i have a somewhat working raytracer for xps models, if anything is wrong with the file(s) it will let me know.
Enchantment1385

Thank you guys so much for all your help! I know i'm probably being super dumb but I have no idea what I am doing! I (hopefully) have uploaded the file with everything my friend sent me the folder name is -Faeron.
You guys are so wonderful for taking the time to help <3 <3

Amendment - I tried to upload the file but it will not upload an xps file, so here is the link to the folder and everything she sent me
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac4dx4cuw9aaw/Faeron
Last edited by Enchantment1385 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ems
Porter

Post by Ems »

Enchantment1385 wrote:Thank you guys so much for all your help! I know i'm probably being super dumb but I have no idea what I am doing! I (hopefully) have uploaded the file with everything my friend sent me the folder name is -Faeron.
You guys are so wonderful for taking the time to help <3 <3
Apparently something went wrong and I can't see it. Maybe upload to some online storage like google drive/skydrive/yandex?
Enchantment1385

See? This is my luck with this stuff! :hug2:

Here is the link sorry about that! :oops:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac4dx4cuw9aaw/Faeron
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

that xps file doesn't even reference any textures at all. also, the mesh names are not named properly, as 0-model-0-2 and 6_0-model-0-1.part.001_1_0_0 are not a well-formed xnalara mesh names. there's a lot wrong with that file. looks like they were trying to use render groups 0 and 6. the skeleton is there in xps, so i think the problem is xps isn't processing the mesh data correctly because the porter doesn't know how to name meshes and didn't export the textures.
semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

you can also convert that to mesh.ascii using xps and see that xps is converting all those invalid mesh names to render group 7, which has 1 texture, but there are no textures defined so that's your problem.
Ems
Porter

Post by Ems »

I confirm everything what Semory said.

This is what if looks like when I applied attached textures: (see attachment)
Normals of the model need to be fixed. That's 10 minutes, I can do that.
Normal maps however are weird, just as the other normal maps from this game I saw before. Swizzle coordinates are mixed up between channels, it's not something I can repair.
Example, face texture, while the scar has proper coordinates, the lips are flipped, general skin is flipped, what should be on red channel is on green, and this applies to other elements. No amount of photoshopping is gonna repair that.

Weights work fine. Although bones are not renamed, I recommend to ask some experienced DA:I porter for bone dictionary file.

Some textures are missing, like eye normal+specular maps. This is also something that can be asked of people who already have experience with customizing models from this game to XPS. There's several good porters on dA.

I'll fix up what I can and send back in a day or two. I can also touch it up a little or at least list what can be improved to look better in XPS, if Enchantment1385 is willing to provide with an ingame screenshot of the character in cool (or at least not too warm) daylight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ems on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enchantment1385

Ems wrote:I confirm everything what Semory said.

This is what if looks like when I applied attached textures: (see attachment)
Normals of the model need to be fixed. That's 10 minutes, I can do that.
Normal maps however are weird, just as the other normal maps from this game I saw before. Swizzle coordinates are mixed up between channels, it's not something I can repair.
Example, face texture, while the scar has proper coordinates, the lips are flipped, general skin is flipped, what should be on red channel is on green, and this applies to other elements. No amount of photoshopping is gonna repair that.

Weights work fine. Although bones are not renamed, I recommend to ask some experienced DA:I porter for bone dictionary file.

Some textures are missing, like eye normal+specular maps. This is also something that can be asked of people who already have experience with customizing models from this game to XPS. There's several good porters on dA.

I'll fix up what I can and send back in a day or two. I can also touch it up a little or at least list what can be improved to look better in XPS, if Enchantment1385 is willing to provide with an ingame screenshot of the character in cool (or at least not too warm) daylight.

Oh... well shit. :wtf: That sounds all kinds of... lots wrong! Thank you so much for having a look! I may attempt to fiddle with some stuff tomorrow but... eeep!
The game is not a massive fan of cool lighting it would seem... But these are probably the best ones of him in that light. [img]
Faeron%201.jpg
[/img] [img]
Faeron%202.jpg
[/img]
Thank you so much I can't say how much this means to me! You are so very very kind! <3 :hug: