Trouble exporting OBJ with materials

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Otter-Croft
Custom Rank: vaguely competent

Trouble exporting OBJ with materials

Post by Otter-Croft »

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the xnaLara world, but getting the hang of it pretty quickly. What I've been doing is exporting the scenes as OBJs with materials and then bringing them into After Effects for lighting and movement. Looks beautiful and worked like a charm for the first few times.

I'm just running into trouble with a particular model. All the textures show up fine in xnaLara, but when I go to export the scene as an OBJ with materials I get the following message: 'Could not save model. Could not find file ...' etc. And it stops halfway through copying the materials and geometry.

All the materials for the model are in the data folder (and named correctly), but the path listed in the pop-up doesn't match mine. I even tried manually relinking each .tga in the material editor panel and that didn't seem to fix it either. Is there something I'm overlooking? I know I need to redirect where the program is looking to pull materials, I just don't know where that could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-OC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Running xnaLara 11.8 off Windows 7 Bootcamp on 2012 Retina Macbook Pro.
Treating/animating final renders in After Effects via Element 3D.
Anx

Re: Trouble exporting OBJ with materials

Post by Anx »

Some time ago, I stumbled into the same problem (Running XNALara_XPS 11.8 on Windows 8.1 with Nvidia GTX GPU).
I analyzed the model and found the mistake.

Like you written, the path listed in the pop-up also doesn't match mine. Some porters has coded the path to the textures, inside the mesh file, as "absolute path" to your own hard drive, and not "relatve" to the model. That's wrong!

XNALara is looking to pull materials, only in the SAME folder like the model (mesh) file.

The solution was quite simple:

A) If you just want exporting the scenes as OBJ, one time:

1) Modify->Save scene as .obj ...
2) Unmark "copy textures"
3) Press OK
4) Use the windows explorer to copy all textures (.tga) into the .obj folder

B) If you want to fix the wrong model: (That's what I always do.)

1) Modify->Save Generic_Item ...
2) Mark "overwrite selected item"
3) Be sure that "copy textures" is marked ("convert to .png" is recomment but not necessary)
3) Press OK
4) Reload the saved model, using "Commands->Swap selected model"
5) Export the scene as OBJ, like usually ("copy textures" is marked )

BTW: I like your perfectly written error report, with your major system specs and the complete error message. <3
A DL to the FF model would have been helpful to crack the trouble with THIS particular model :ohn:
Otter-Croft
Custom Rank: vaguely competent

Post by Otter-Croft »

Anx wrote:
Tried Option B and it worked perfectly :D Thank you so much!
Running xnaLara 11.8 off Windows 7 Bootcamp on 2012 Retina Macbook Pro.
Treating/animating final renders in After Effects via Element 3D.
The_Chronicle_GER
Custom Rank: Hunter with a dragon

Post by The_Chronicle_GER »

I ran into the same problem today while I was porting some more models from Metin2 (there was a big hussle getting the male warrior done, I made a rework of him so that I can work better with that model) and out of 12 models I wanted to port, 6 went through perfectly, while on 4 I get the pop-up with the message quoted in the opening post. Since I know that there are some good tutorial writers on here, I'm gonna give Anx' variant B a shot tomorrow and see if I can fix it that way. Btw: I'm running XNALara_XPS 11.8.8 on Windows 10 with Intel HD Graphics.

Kinda contributing to this is something I noticed while browsing through the files of the models where that pop-up showed up: When exporting a model with "Modify -> Save NGFF..." the *.mtl and *.arl files (the * can be replaced with the file name of the .obj file) and the exporting is not working, the files do get created, but the size is 0 bytes. Could this have something to do with the files from where I want to port the model (I got ALL the files for that mass-porting from the official unpacked Metin2 client - which is worth a quick google)?
SteeLisPain7

Post by SteeLisPain7 »

Modify -> Save scene as .obj and save textures.
ilego

Post by ilego »

Anx wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:37 pm Some time ago, I stumbled into the same problem (Running XNALara_XPS 11.8 on Windows 8.1 with Nvidia GTX GPU).
I analyzed the model and found the mistake.

Like you written, the path listed in the pop-up also doesn't match mine. Some porters has coded the path to the textures, inside the mesh file, as "absolute path" to your own hard drive, and not "relatve" to the model. That's wrong!

XNALara is looking to pull materials, only in the SAME folder like the model (mesh) file.

The solution was quite simple:

A) If you just want exporting the scenes as OBJ, one time:

1) Modify->Save scene as .obj ...
2) Unmark "copy textures"
3) Press OK
4) Use the windows explorer to copy all textures (.tga) into the .obj folder

B) If you want to fix the wrong model: (That's what I always do.)

1) Modify->Save Generic_Item ...
2) Mark "overwrite selected item"
3) Be sure that "copy textures" is marked ("convert to .png" is recomment but not necessary)
3) Press OK
4) Reload the saved model, using "Commands->Swap selected model"
5) Export the scene as OBJ, like usually ("copy textures" is marked )

BTW: I like your perfectly written error report, with your major system specs and the complete error message. <3
A DL to the FF model would have been helpful to crack the trouble with THIS particular model :ohn:
I am very new I don’t even understand blender so apologies if I don’t understand you response above

@anx can u help me am having same problem

I will post link but cant post attachments cause to large
PM me if u reply