XNAlara Won't Open

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

AhnzoVincente

XNAlara Won't Open

Post by AhnzoVincente »

So I've searched the internet and every solution I've found is from way before 2016 and extremely outdated.

So 2 weeks ago I opened XNAlara to do a quick render as a joke/meme for a friend. It worked as usual, everything seemed perfectly fine.

Today, I went to open it and was given this message:
No suitable graphics card found. Unable to create the graphics device. This program requires pixel shader 1.1 and vertex shader 1.1.
I have Windows 10, a gtx970m (on a laptop), with an integrated intel graphics card 530. I have installed all the necessary things such as the framework 3.5 and the framework redistributable 3.0. My Windows 10 is fully updated and I have updated all my drivers.

I have also tried running XNAlara as an admin and tried all the relevant fixes I could find on outdated and old threads. But nothing has worked. I even did a system restore point before all the latest updates and went back to that, and it still won't open. But I've done nothing but update drivers and my OS since I last successfully opened the program. Could it have been a faulty driver update of my graphics card (I've had those before...) or something Windows related?

I know asking is a long shot as I don't seem to see any recent forum posts within the last few months, but I'd like any help please.
EvilKing
Custom Rank: Reverse

Re: XNAlara Won't Open

Post by EvilKing »

I have been in a similar situation my XnaLara didn't want to open for me. It said program has crashed. Turned out that my malware bytes deleted an important part of my windows and I had to reinstall it. I don't know what happened to you but it might be something like that
XNAaraL
XPS Author

No suitable graphics card found. requires pixel shader

Post by XNAaraL »

AhnzoVincente wrote:So I've searched the internet and every solution I've found is from way before 2016 and extremely outdated.

... I opened XNAlara
...this message:
No suitable graphics card found. Unable to create the graphics device. This program requires pixel shader 1.1 and vertex shader 1.1.
I have ... a gtx970m ... with an integrated intel graphics card 530

... Could it have been a faulty driver update of my graphics card (I've had those before...) or something Windows related?

... but I'd like any help please.
Hey,
not sure you try to open 'XNALara', or you try to run 'XPS'. That makes a big difference. Both are different applications, with different requirements.
BTW, XPS required shader version 2, since XPS 10.9.7 - Ultimate UV Edition.

I suspect your computer is attempting to use the Intel HD Graphics 530 card to run the app. For a app like XNALara or XPS as intensive as Species, you'll definately want to use the performance Card, and the GeForce GTX970m is designed for performance. :ohn:
Intel graphics card 530 is no suitable graphics card ;)

As for how you force it to use the performance card, I don't know personally, but a google search turns up this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... aptop.html
1. Right Click on Desktop
2. Select nVidia Control Panel
3. In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
4. In right panel select Global Tab
5. Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" and hit APPLY button

Now try again and see if it properly selects correct GPU. If not

6. Repeat steps 1 thru 3 above
7. In right panel select "Program Settings" tab
8. Under section 1., check the box for "only programs on this computer"
9. then hit the "Add" button and find the program that you want to run on nVidia card
10 Go down to section 2. and select nVidia processor
Hope that helps!

You can also try to edit the .cfg file (XNALara.cfg or XNA.cfg) and Change

Code: Select all

ForceShadersV3 = True
to

Code: Select all

ForceShadersV3 = False

Next time, please read Bug Reports on any XPS version
You can comment with ALL the following information and eventually in the same layout to keep things organized:
1. What version of XPS do you use?
(Always use the latest one, since bugs from previous ones might be fixed already.)

2. What model does this happen on? Please post a download link.
(This should be models that suddenly cause problems in a new version but that worked fine before. We cannot fix port/ mod related problems such as weight errors or texture errors that already appeared in previous XPS versions)

3. Please open XPS and navigate to Help>About. Post a screenshot of this window.
(This gives information about the XPS version and your supported Pixel and vertex Shaders.)

4. Run dxdiag @ on your PC and post a picture of the Display 1 Tab and the System tab.
(This gives information about your video card and available memory along with driver info.)

5. Please save the .scene file from File>Save scene... and upload it along with the file called XNA.cfg, located in the folder with the XNALara XPS.exe.
(To give information about your saved (default) settings)

EDIT to ADD
True, a previouse update of your graphics card driver can switch the primary graphic adapter selection for Windows. thx for mention this.