Xnalara and ray-tracing

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Zantetsukens-cut
Custom Rank: Pussy on the chain wax

Xnalara and ray-tracing

Post by Zantetsukens-cut »

So if all the next generation consoles and newer pc games games all utilize ray-tracing shouldn't xnalara as well.
If it's Never updated to do so wouldn't it be really hard to get a character to look like I dose in the game if not impossible
Change is coming soon. We can't keep pretending. We're already BEHIND.
Zantetsukens-cut

Re: Xnalara and ray-tracing

And I've seen people online writing ray-tracing engines with the XNA fraimwork
XNAaraL
XPS Author

Post by XNAaraL »

Sure ... sure :pi: Shadow of the Tombraider required GeForce RTX GPUs to make raytracing .... and 6 years before, you can use raytracing with XNA and a cheap DirectX 9 GPU like the GeForce 5xxx series which was released back in 2003 :XD:

Realtime Ray Tracing in XNA - Proof Of Concept - 03 -- 03.11.2013

BTW: In XPS, you can use RG# 34/35 to make it works ;)
Zantetsukens-cut

The way I seen it in my head It was more like a post process effect effecting all render groups depending on its configuration. That kinda how it was explained to me at first. But if it has to be done through a render group you would almost need an enhanced version of most of the groups. But it's not a work around I'm looking for this is more of a suggestion for a future build a ray-trace enhance xnalara version
XNAaraL
XPS Author

Post by XNAaraL »

:idea:
NVIDIA RTXÔäó graphics cards are bringing the power of real-time ray tracing but that graphics card does cost a considerable amount more than $1,500 :ohn: and Microsoft XNA do not support an NVIDIA RTXÔäó graphics cards :pi:

Please check the Blender render time for ONE frame ;)
1 frame per minute ... eq. 0.16 FPS if you want to buy an graphics card that cost more than $1,500 :o
NVIDIA worked closely with Blender Institute to deliver a frequent user request: adding hardware-accelerated ray tracing to Cycles.
The result: 0.16 FPS ... realtime is 60 FPS

Can you see the difference?
http://youtu.be/hNqo9o1mtD8?t=210

It be not really hard to get a character to look like I dose in the game, if there is no difference here. The ray tracing effect does not depend on the character but on the environment.
Just saying, in my opinion it looks better without raytracing.

And right, things can be extremely hard (or slow) but never impossible.
Zantetsukens-cut

I'm getting it and don't why I didn't think that before real-time ray-tracing would be a different monster that not everyone Wouldn't be able to use. than why not add a breakaway rendering system to apply not only the ray-tracing effect but other post process effect to the current displayed frame. like every other 3d modeling program where it renders one frame or a series of set frames. like using Daz3d you could have the worst setup imaginable and the render still looks flawless. because it has to work for everyone regardless of their setup (but I have seen Daz3d take 10 hours to do 1 frame using there I-ray system on a lower end setup) but when you considering xnalara is a one frame save setup anyway this might be the best option. (But for year I've wanted to see xnalara with its own key frame animation and vertice morphing systems... but I've lost hope on those thoughts and it's a different discussion)
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

Man, raytracing... brings back some memories way back when I piddled with a software raytracer (no SIMD or mulithreading) for XNALara/XPS models around 2016. Took 4 minutes to render one model (and these are low poly compared to the stuff that's out now) even using https://graphics.stanford.edu/~boulos/papers/togbvh.pdf and only four samples per pixel. Now since both Intel and AMD support AVX2, a good implementation with AVX2 + MT might take that down to a few seconds, which is of course, still too slow. I may have to one day look at my code and see where I went wrong because the 2006 journal article claims to have gotten 3-4 frames/sec with a 180K triangle scene using SSE2 lol.
sample1.jpg
sample2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zantetsukens-cut

4 minutes is still faster than what daz's iray system is pulling off. That actually seems acceptable in comparison and those renders don't look half bad. If xnalara could do even that I'd be happy plus if it was add to xnalara's code i know others would build on it possibly even improve it.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

OK, I will refactor my old code for VS2019 and AVX2+MT and put up the old project and the new project on github soon. I'm curious to see how some of those new RE8 models perform in my old tracer. Anyone got a link to a good DL of the daughters? I have Galey's version Lady D already.
raidergale
Porter
Custom Rank: Marie's my waifu kthx

Post by raidergale »

semory wrote:OK, I will refactor my old code for VS2019 and AVX2+MT and put up the old project and the new project on github soon. I'm curious to see how some of those new RE8 models perform in my old tracer. Anyone got a link to a good DL of the daughters? I have Galey's version Lady D already.
#SOON :pi:
I plan to release them either this night or tomorrow :LOL: