XNALara and Morphs

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

XNALara and Morphs

Post by iheartibuki »

So question: does XNALara support morphs, or are we pretty much stuck with rotating and moving bones? TIA! :D

EDIT: changed to morphs, seems like the proper verbiage to use according to Stevemeister! :)
Last edited by iheartibuki on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: XNALara and Morph Bones

Post by semory »

What are morph bones? First time I've heard of that expression before :-).
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

semory wrote:What are morph bones? First time I've heard of that expression before :-).
Have you played around with MMD models before? They have a lot of them. They're basically sliders that can change your character's expression from happy to sad, closed eyes to eyes wide shut, skinny to chunky, small b(.)(.)bs to big b( . )( . )bs (sorry, just had to, LOLZ!), etc.

semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

yeah, I downloaded mmd once to check out that inori model from guilty crown but was disappointed with the program and how it renders/displays stuff so i deleted it. those sound just like regular morphs that you mentioned... did you ask on trf too?

btw... i have my first port lol! ha ha ha too ashamed to show it at the moment though because you can't see it LOL! render group 16 only diffuse texture... shows nothing when I load it in xnalara but if I export it to OBJ from xnalara the exported OBJ model shows up just fine in my modeler!
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

semory wrote:yeah, I downloaded mmd once to check out that inori model from guilty crown but was disappointed with the program and how it renders/displays stuff so i deleted it. those sound just like regular morphs that you mentioned... did you ask on trf too?

btw... i have my first port lol! ha ha ha too ashamed to show it at the moment though because you can't see it LOL! render group 16 only diffuse texture... shows nothing when I load it in xnalara but if I export it to OBJ from xnalara the exported OBJ model shows up just fine in my modeler!
No I haven't asked on TRF yet. I'm afraid I'm gonna get crucified right away though for perhaps attempting to convert MMD models for XNALara even though I'm not planning on distributing them. :lol:

So ye almost got yer first port, eh? Finally! LOL! Nothing's showing? Make sure your meshes, object links, materials links and texture assignment names are all named the same (i.e. 5_face, 5_body, 5_legs, etc.) in Blender if that's what you're using. Also, make sure you assign the textures in the shading tab (F5), map input to UV from Orco. Do you see the bones in XNA though?
Last edited by iheartibuki on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

semory
Site Admin

Post by semory »

Can't sleep either huh? Ah, I understand now. Yep, I know some people are sensitive about mmd -> xnalara he he he. Tis understandable. What amazes me is that you actually found something from mmd worth converting! What is it if you don't mind me asking? Most of the original mmd stuff I've seen is pretty crap They are either too high poly like the Inori model (with really inefficient and wasteful topology), or total crap (things that don't even come close to looking like the characters from the animes they are modeling from).

I am actually using lightwave and an EXE that converts LWO to MESH directly rather than blender :). I'll try out those things you mentioned and will report back tomorrow! And yes, if I move the mouse near the center I do see my root joint, just no geometry. But of course, it exports fine lol!
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

semory wrote:Can't sleep either huh? Ah, I understand now. Yep, I know some people are sensitive about mmd -> xnalara he he he. Tis understandable. What amazes me is that you actually found something from mmd worth converting! What is it if you don't mind me asking? Most of the original mmd stuff I've seen is pretty crap They are either too high poly like the Inori model (with really inefficient and wasteful topology), or total crap (things that don't even come close to looking like the characters from the animes they are modeling from).

I am actually using lightwave and an EXE that converts LWO to MESH directly rather than blender :). I'll try out those things you mentioned and will report back tomorrow! And yes, if I move the mouse near the center I do see my root joint, just no geometry. But of course, it exports fine lol!
Haha when things are going through my head I'm having a hard time going to bed. -_- I've seen the MMD -> XNA conversion thread on TRF before and it got a little out of control there. :) Seems though from mariokart64n's post that his 3DSMax script does carry over morphs to XNA. Dunno though if the Blender exporter carries them over, I guess the only way I'd find out is to try and port some models straight forward. I'll send a PM later on in the day with pics of what I'm porting. :) Seems like this model falls under the "high poly" category, at least in comparison to all XNA models I've seen.

BTW, I'd suggest that you "get with the program" for now and use Blender to port since we'd be able to help you easier and faster. Once you fully understand how it works in Blender then you can "translate" the process in Lightwave. I also wouldn't necessarily recommend converting to mesh directly. I've thought of it before and realized I won't have an easy way to rename bones and change render groups (ones with all the bells and whistles). While you can rename bones in your favorite 3D program, it's much easier copying and pasting bone names and modifying them a bit in notepad than clicking on bone joints in a 3d program and renaming them. It's just much more efficient IMO. As I've also said, it's a lot easier to set the final render groups for your meshes in notepad. See Dan's mesh.ascii file for more info.

Ok that's it for now, I'm gonna try and go to bed now. LOL!

EDIT: perhaps we can do a webcast or something at some point so you can see how I do it, LOL!

iheartibuki

Re: XNALara and Morphs

Post by iheartibuki »

Hehe this is proving to be a tough one. I'll need to find a Blender script that renames the bones in with a generic name + increments (bone1, bone2, bone3, etc.)