Best filehost?

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Best filehost?

Post by Love2Raid »

Hey guys,

I was wondering which filehost would be the best and safest for sharing your models? I have some stuff on Mediafire, but I don't really use that anymore and probably most of my stuff has already been deleted there... XD
Anyway, at the moment I only use deviantArt. I have thought about switching to another place for a very long time, actually, but never did because of various reasons (OK, I'll admit it, I'm lazy!! :lol: ). Nah, it's just not the right place for this thing and it draws too much attention. I know that Mediafire removes things, Sendspace sucks because it does the same only worse...
I have seen people use 'Skydrive'. It looks good, but how exactly do you get one? :P :oops:
Also, is it possible to share direct links only (so a different link for each model), and not let people look through all your files? And maybe put passwords on some files? Is it likely that your account could get removed by Microsoft?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
MisterHentai
Custom Rank: :sonictwerk:

Re: Best filehost?

Post by MisterHentai »

SkyDrive does seem like a good alternative from what I've seen.

You get up to 7GB for free, which is plenty enough, or the old 25GB if you were lucky months back.

You can easily get one by making a Microsoft account, or if you already have any existing Windows/Xbox Live account (Hotmail etc).

As for direct linking only, no idea! Can't seem to password protect folders it seems? If it was possible, then I guess making copies of each one for a different person? :?
:doge: -ma
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

You can set up Sky Drive so you also have a private folder, though I believe you have to share it by sending an email to the person you want to share files to. I haven't tried it myself but you got me curious now. :P
L2R wrote:...not let people look through all your files?
You can also sign up 2 different accounts. Maybe one for public and one for private sharing? In terms of archive protection I think encryption keys are a lot better than passwords, as you only generate them once then you send them once to your friends (think secure FTP). I'm not sure though if there's any archiver that supports that, I'll have to do some digging up. I also thought of using that virtual enigma machine just fo kicks and giggles, but I think it might be complicated for some folks. ;)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Arch-vile
Custom Rank: Negative Creep

Post by Arch-vile »

Yeah, you do need to email the link to whoever you want to share private folders with.

Edit: This may help
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skyd ... ssions-faq
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

Thanks guys! :hug:
I'll look into SkyDrive, seems like the best option. ;)
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Use Skydrive, best option imo. All you need to do is create a email via the hotmail service and viola! You have your own skydrive. Plus, if you lose the files, it should back up the files on your PC, well it has for me, it created a Skydrive area and all of my uploaded files/folders are there! You can keep some stuff private, each item needs to be made public if you want people to download them or you can just make a full folder public. If you want to keep stuff private, keep them away from the public folders as they will be then be able to be downloaded ^^
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah if you have Windows Live Essentials and the full installation, the SkyDrive program should be on it as well so that makes things helpful for backing up.
Dank Buttsen

Steam | Pawn: Minami | Level: 200 | Vocation: Sorcerer | Inclination: Challenger/Ultilitarian
Steam | Pawn: Rena | Level: 200 | Vocation: Fighter | Inclination: Mitigator/Scather
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

You dont really need the program I think, all I did was go to the skydrive website, sign in and then you can upload em. But the skydrive backups need windows live essentials I think xD
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
MisterHentai

Post by MisterHentai »

Yeah that's what I'm saying. It will need the desktop program if you want backup the files or make things easier from your own computer i.e. syncronisation, drag and drop or whatever, but otherwise, you can still use it by the web.
Dank Buttsen

Ventrue
Custom Rank: Frequent Lurker

Post by Ventrue »

Why not use the attachment function here? :?

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't know that there was a 256 KB limit.
I'm just here for the boobs.