Blender General Questions

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Straight Edge
Custom Rank: Steward

Re: Blender General Questions

Post by Straight Edge »

Can anyone offer a solution to this error?

I've tried removing doubles in Blender and welding in 3DS Max, but the problem persists; really not sure what else I can do. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Runa

Post by Runa »

That might be a problem related to flipped faces... though I never really understood how to properly fix it in blender :( maybe someone else will write down a guide for that :D
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Runa

Post by Runa »

Megafgk1 wrote:Is there a basic tutorial on importing obj. Models to Blender and adding an skeleton to the model and then exporting it as mesh.ascii for XNALara? I've been having trouble with this and hoping that I can find a solution.
You can import any obj model via File > Import

Adding a skeleton and rig a character is totally another story though. You can either decide to create an armature from scratch or use an already made one editing the joints according to your model. Rigging is not so easy, it requires a lot of practice and I would suggest you to start with a bone weight copy first, like I did. I think there are some tutorials for that somewhere on the net...
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
Straight Edge

Post by Straight Edge »

Runa wrote:That might be a problem related to flipped faces... though I never really understood how to properly fix it in blender :( maybe someone else will write down a guide for that :D
Okay thanks, I'll look into that. :)
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Looks more like rotated UVs to me than flipped faces. :?
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

Runa

Post by Runa »

True, might be that as well! Though I often got that issue related to wrong/flipped faces, where basically the UVs looked broken, although in the UV section everything looked right...
Straight Edge

Post by Straight Edge »

Thank you all for your help from before; you've been most helpful. I'm hoping you can all help me one more time. I'm looking for a way to add a new bone to an existing armature. Like I have a model of a female character with no breast bones. I tried doing Space Bar > Add new bone; then I aligned it where it should, parented it to the spine, added vertex groups then exported. Afterward, I tried it out in XPS and the breasts wouldn't pose at all. Somehow I figured it wouldn't be as simple as that so I can only assume the bones need to be weighted?

Is it that? Can anyone provide helpful tips or a tutorial that will help me with all this? Would be most appreciated thanks.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Adding vertex groups is not enough, you need to also weight paint over the parts in order to make them move. You could try to load a model that already has poseable breasts in blender on a second layer, so that you can see how they are painted and do the same on your model.
Straight Edge

Post by Straight Edge »

Thanks for the response, I managed to get it done with a lot of practice by duplicating existing bones, aligning them, parenting them then weight-painting them accordingly before adding vertex groups. :)
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

So I rigged a rather unscaled large head mesh using another smaller model for bones, resized the skeleton in blender to the scale of the head mesh but when I export it from blender to xps the bones get scaled to the original scale of the smaller model (you can imagine the bone rotations make for interesting...mesh deformations). Is there a way to "lock" the armature to the size of the head mesh in blender when exporting?
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!