Emissive Lighting

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Emissive Lighting

Post by ProtocolX27 »

I'm working on increasing specular properties for my current project, but modifying the light map does not seem to be enough for my preferences. I've seen discussion of emissive lighting before, and I'd like to know what might go into the process of increasing glow around a light source.

Thanks. :)
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: Emissive Lighting

Post by iheartibuki »

^ Maybe duplicating part of the mesh that you want to glow and enlarging it while keeping it unaffected by raytracing? In other words invisible. :)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

iheartibuki wrote:^ Maybe duplicating part of the mesh that you want to glow and enlarging it while keeping it unaffected by raytracing? In other words invisible. :)
That makes sense, if I were to do that would I need to apply a different material so that it has different alpha properties? I remember something about XNALara having a different group for that, but I haven't spent much time on it ... (yet)
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

Oh is it for XNA? I thought you were talking about Blender. :P The newest XPS now has dedicated groups for emissive maps and I believe they also illuminate nearby objects.

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

iheartibuki wrote:Oh is it for XNA? I thought you were talking about Blender. :P The newest XPS now has dedicated groups for emissive maps and I believe they also illuminate nearby objects.
Ah, I haven't done any dedicated rendering yet, everything I've done so far has been XNA. If that's the case is there any converting that needs to be done to convert to XPS to get my model working in there? (haven't used that yet either) :XD:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

I haven't ported any XPS exclusive models yet, but afaik the old mesh converter should still work. Your model will only load properly in XPS though if you use those render groups. You may either get an error or an invisible model in XNALara if you use those new render groups. You can ask XNAaraL. :)

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Thanks, I'll have to give that a whirl tonight and see if I can get it workin' :high:
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

NP Sorry for the typos, stupid phone keyboard, lol!

ProtocolX27
Porter

Post by ProtocolX27 »

Ok, so based on an initial test...

The bloom lighting is pretty cool. The areas that seemed most effected were those with the lightest regions in the light map. I'll have to adjust that to see if it matches up with expected areas.

My goal is to make the electronic areas on Novas body suit glow, but right now the bloom is also affecting her body suit itself which I need to fix.

Where's the best place to pester XNAaraL these days? TRF still?
iheartibuki

Post by iheartibuki »

ProtocolX27 wrote:Ok, so based on an initial test...

The bloom lighting is pretty cool. The areas that seemed most effected were those with the lightest regions in the light map. I'll have to adjust that to see if it matches up with expected areas.

My goal is to make the electronic areas on Novas body suit glow, but right now the bloom is also affecting her body suit itself which I need to fix.

Where's the best place to pester XNAaraL these days? TRF still?
If you're just trying to make certain parts of a model glow, have a look at Goha's tutorial here.