Blender Help

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

danniellahill

Blender Help

Post by danniellahill »

hey there ^^ me again xD

im a little bit stuck with blender >.< im kinda new to it but im getting the hang of it really quickly. i know how to do a few things and the mesh model im making is going fairly well so far (this is how it looks so far if anyone is interested)

ok well, basically ive been following this tutorial on how to add parts to models and join the armatures up etc

ive been trying to add a skirt and ive got to the part in the tutorial where is says to make "child of" bones. so i made the ones nearest the root hips child of the root hip bones. do i need to make the rest of the bones child of the root hip? or just follow the bones? bit like this:
Skirt 1 child of root hips
Skirt 2 child of skirt 1
skirt 3 child of skirt 2 and so on.
or should i not be using the root bone? its not very clear in the tutorial >.<

anyways ive been doing it that way, but for some reason blender wont let me export it >.< so im not sure where im going wrong. Ive had a look around and saw something about reparenting the bones, which ive tried that and it still wont let me export it :(

anyone got any ideas on what to do? or maybe a better tutorial i can follow?

any help would be appreciated :3
Last edited by danniellahill on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FigureSculptor

Re: Blender Help

Post by FigureSculptor »

danniellahill wrote: do i need to make the rest of the bones child of the root hip? or just follow the bones? bit like this:
Skirt 1 child of root hips
Skirt 2 child of skirt 1
skirt 3 child of skirt 2 and so on.
or should i not be using the root bone? its not very clear in the tutorial >.<
This approach is generally right. In Blender (and almost every other 3D program I've worked with) bones hierarchies inherit rotation, location, and scale by default, so Skirt 1 will inherit from Root, Skirt 2 will inherit from Skirt 1, and Skirt3 will inherit from Skirt 2. If you move the root bone, its children and its children's children (etc) will all move with it. So, no, you don't have to parent them all to Root, but you generally will want all bones to connect to root if you trace up through their ancestors. Having everything descend from a single root bone is not required by Blender (and there are times when it can be useful to have multiple root bones), but it's often a good idea, and it's required for many game engines. I don't know offhand if it's required for XNALara, but my guess would be yes, as I can't recall having seen a model with multiple root bones.

So, troubleshooting time:

I assume you're using Blender 2.49b, since the tutorial is. I haven't used 2.4x in some time, but I'll try and help if I can, but I need more information.

Exactly what error are you getting when you try to export?
If you pull down the top mennu bar in Blender, you'll reveal the console, which is where Blender prints debugging and error messages. Try and export your model, and then look in the console for an error in the log from the script. You may have to scroll back to find it, as Blender can be chatty.

If there is an error message (or any message from the export script at all), paste the whole thing - all the output from the export script - into this thread. There should be several lines before or after the error message - the important part for debugging is called a "stack trace" - it's a list of functions and line numbers. Don't worry if it looks like gibberish - it will help me (or someone else here) identify what's causing your problem.

If you're on a Mac, you may have to launch the Console.app in /Applications/Utilities to find the error message - IIRC, in 2.49b, the console messages go there on the Mac instead.

Unfortunately, the export script can be a little picky. You might have a problem with your bones, or that might be a red herring and it's something completely unrelated keeping you from exporting. Without the output from the script, I doubt anyone will be able to tell you exactly why it's not working, but with that, we stand a pretty good chance.
FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

Also, I wasn't able to look at the screenshot you posted. It appears to be a dropbox link, but it told me I wasn't allowed to view it.
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

ahhh right i see. yes i am using 2.49b :)

well what ill do when i try working on it again tomorrow ill post that part then. will it be the stuff in the black box?

also i updated the link to tinypic, just coz its easier lool
FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

danniellahill wrote:ahhh right i see. yes i am using 2.49b :)

well what ill do when i try working on it again tomorrow ill post that part then. will it be the stuff in the black box?
Yes. I just launched 2.49b and I was wrong, it's not above the top menu bar, it's in a separate console window. So yeah, just copy anything from the console window that appears after you run the script.
danniellahill wrote:ahhh right i see. yes i am using 2.49b :)also i updated the link to tinypic, just coz its easier lool
Looks like you're off to a good start!
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

FigureSculptor wrote:Yes. I just launched 2.49b and I was wrong, it's not above the top menu bar, it's in a separate console window. So yeah, just copy anything from the console window that appears after you run the script.
Alrighty i can do that ^^
FigureSculptor wrote:Looks like you're off to a good start!
Thanks :D ive had a lot of really great tutorials to help me, the only thing left really is to figure this last bit out then i can add the skirt and the head :) i might change the hands at some point aswell, but i think for now ill try not to do too much to fast lol
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

ok well ive tried again with blender, but i still cant get it too work >.< gahhhh its doing my head in now xD

heres the screenshot of what the python box thingy says everytime i try to export it

i cant make any sense of this thing T^T
ProtocolX27
Porter
Custom Rank: Skynet Status

Post by ProtocolX27 »

That usually means there are still bone references in associated with mesh groups. There are a couple of ways to tackle that

The way I first did was by editing the original *.mesh.ascii file and paste the bones, updating the total #'s, id #'s and adding unused to the beginning.

Alternativly, you'd have to go into every mesh group while in Blender and delete any of those bones names that don't exist for that mesh, or rename them if the bones themselves were renamed.

I'll try to be more specific if you mention the context of what you're trying to accomplish. :)
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

It could mean some of the bones are not be parented.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
danniellahill

Post by danniellahill »

ahh i see. well ill try and re-parent them and see how that goes. i thought i did re-parent them but maybe i forgot xD

--EDIT--
Hmmm i reparented it, but it still came up with the same error Image