Blender help needed

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

candiparadise

Blender help needed

Post by candiparadise »

Hello, So I have xps (xnalara) and when i make a model pose, save the obj, ect. I then load it to blender and it shows up this way.

They used to render nicely and never has this happened before, I recently made a rikku render but after i opened blender again they all show up like this when i look through the camera/ render.

Im not sure if it has to do with the "bumps" in blender, i tried to mess around with it but they are no longer looking nice, which really sucks

i originally posted in the tombraiderforum but was told i could try here as well :)
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Re: Blender help needed

Post by Dazzy »

Could you upload a .blend file of the scene so we can examine it? Thats never happened to me, and a blend file could help us help ya :)
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

If you are using a Blender version > 2.49b, this most likely has something to do with the way bumps are displayed. You are now forced to use nodes afaik instead of the slider/number values from the old version. There's a tutorial for Cycles somewhere on this board so you might wanna take a look at that and see if that helps.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

candiparadise

Post by candiparadise »

Thanks for the replies, i had to make the .blend file, hopefully i made it correct ><
Here is the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?kr4bgfh0djav9rh

I tried it today to see if it was anything different, but it still looks bumpy/odd :<

I noticed the hair is looking different now on some models T^T

:cry:
candiparadise

Post by candiparadise »

I will have to put the textures in so ignore that link :O sorry, will repost
candiparadise

Post by candiparadise »

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

One thing I noticed is that some of your bumps don't have the "Normal Map" property set (under Properties > Image Sampling, tried on 2.65). Some don't have the Geometry: Normal 1.000 checked either. When checked they look good to me.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

So Steven, does that mean there is still a way to control normal map strength in the later versions of Blender without using nodes? I've always thought you didn't have that slider you had in 2.49b anymore. But then again I've never really spent too much time in any Blender version > 2.49b due to the lack of importer/exporter scripts for XNA. :P
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

FigureSculptor

Post by FigureSculptor »

iheartibuki wrote:So Steven, does that mean there is still a way to control normal map strength in the later versions of Blender without using nodes? I've always thought you didn't have that slider you had in 2.49b anymore. But then again I've never really spent too much time in any Blender version > 2.49b due to the lack of importer/exporter scripts for XNA. :P
The internal renderer in Blender 2.5+ has very similar settings to what there was in 2.49b, they're just organized differently. In fact, the renderer was brought over almost whole hog from 2.49b when the did the rewrite. AFAIK, Even the latest Blender (2.64) defaults to the internal renderer, so you use normal maps by simply turning on "normal map" on the texture, specifying the space (tangent, object, world), and then setting the Geometry->Normal influence to 1.0 (or some other value, but usually 1.0 for game maps). It's almost the same process as 2.49b (IIRC - it's been a long time since I've used 2.4x), just with the buttons and sliders in different places.

While you have the option of using node materials in 2.5+ with the Blender Internal renderer, it's an opt-in thing. Materials are not node materials by default.

Now, if you change to the Cycles renderer, then you're absolutely right. Early on, there was no normal map support at all, so you either had to convert the map to a displacement map, or you had to do some fancy node fakery to get an approximation. For a couple of releases, though, normal map has been an input on some of the shader nodes, like Diffuse and Glossy, to which you simply hook up your image texture, easy peazy. The only thing holding me back from using Cycles full time right now is lack of SSS.

I'm honestly surprised at the sheer number of people who have stuck with Blender 2.49b. I mean, it's been, what, at least two years since 2.5 was released? I know there are some scripts that haven't been ported to 2.5+ - I keep a copy of 2.49b around for that reason - but the .blend files are forward compatible and mostly backwards compatible, and the current version of Blender is SO much more sophisticated and better than 2.49b.
candiparadise wrote:Thanks for the replies, i had to make the .blend file, hopefully i made it correct ><
Here is the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?kr4bgfh0djav9rh

I tried it today to see if it was anything different, but it still looks bumpy/odd :<
How did you import this? As a Wavefront OBJ from XPS? Or did you import the .mesh.ascii file directly into Blender? I'm guessing the former, since the figure is posed and I see no armature. If it's the latter, this may be my fault. I wrote the 2.6+ .mesh.ascii importer, but the handling of bump, specular, and normal maps is not 100%. It handles simple models correctly, but more complex ones, especially more recent XPS models, it does weird stuff to the normal and bump maps, similar to what you're seeing here.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

Hahaha I've been messing with blender lately but haven't gotten too deep. There is a slider for it in 2.65 but I left it at 1.0. If the op just applies color and bumps manually everything will be fine. Even I was able to watch a youtube video and fix the model.