Meshmod: everyhing looks screwed up

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Runa

Meshmod: everyhing looks screwed up

Post by Runa »

Hi there precious! :LOL:

I am experiencing a new problem and I'm pretty curious to see what the hell I am doing wrong and why this is happening.

I'm trying to make a meshmod, just a hoodie attached to Dante's upper body (yes, him again). In other words, I didn't remove anything, just added this shirt on his naked torso. The problem is that when I load the model in XNALara (and blender) this happens:

This is what I've done exactly, in order (in 3DS Max)

1) I loaded both Dante and dancer guy from Dance Masters with the XNALara script

2) I removed the bones and meshes that I didn't need from the second model

3) I placed the empty hoodie with its bones on Dante, modifying it in order to get a similar shape

4) I linked all the bones (neck with neck, head with head, spine lower with spine lower, shoulder with shoulder and so on)

5) I renamed the hoodie's bones, so that they had a different name and didn't screw up the model in XNALara (it happens if you accidentally leave two bones with the same name)

6) When I finished I exported the test mod and loaded it into XNALara. The result is the one from the picture

7) I thought that maybe something went wrong and I could still have some bones with the same name, but I couldn't find them. I then decided to redo the base mod directly loading the hoodie from the game files again instead of the XNALara model. In that case I was sure that the bones had a totally different name from Dante's.

8) Again I placed the hoodie on him, linked the bones and this time I also removed pieces of meshes from Dante's body (the ones covered by the hoodie).

9) Exported again to make another test and loaded the model for the second time.

Well, I just got the same issue. Looks like the weights are a total disaster, or something happened to the vertex groups, I honestly have no idead. I already had such a problem, but usually it was due to a wrong bone naming or parenting and I could fix that with no troubles at all. This time I seriously don't know what the hell is going on. Any suggestion?

EDIT: Redoing it for the third time, switching from Max to blender and back in Max, solved the problem. I did the parenting in blender, exported the mod and reimported it in Max where I added missing linking, lightmaps, removed seams and other stuff. It looks like 3DS tends to screw everything up when you parent some bones together, I don't really know why this program likes trolling me so much. Anyway, gonna leave this thread here in case somebody else will experience this or a smilar issue in the future.

"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Re: Meshmod: everyhing looks screwed up

Post by thePWA »

You make Dante look good. Great job and great fix!
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
Runa

Re: Meshmod: everyhing looks screwed up

Post by Runa »

Thanks! Really, I'd like to know what happened there XD but at least now it's fixed.
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."