Trouble with models and pose

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

shatin

Trouble with models and pose

Post by shatin »

Hello...

Totaly new to xnalara and need help please. :(

Question one:

I have a model Connor I managed to make him sit. (I am a noobie, remember :) ) I saved his pose so I can use it on another model Axton or Booker. Axton not bad till the waist then his upper body not getting the right pose at all. No hunching and head not tilted and so much not good with his hand/arm not like Connor"s. We can ignore Booker, I really just wanted to try on another model but getting a same result.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? Why one model not adopt the pose I made with another?

The method I try to work with them. 1, Load Axton basic standing model. 2, load pose, pick Connor's saved sitting pose from my folder. It doesn't matter if the pose saved in the xnalara's data folder or my own special pose folder outside of the xnalara program. See no different.

Question two
I have a side question, kind of guessing the answer but I might not right. Why Booker model bigger then the other 2?

Any help greatly appreciated, Please

( ps: my english not a best, if you don't understand what I try to say pls let me know and I try to re-word it if I can :( )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Re: Trouble with models and pose

Post by semory »

correct me if im wring guys, but i dont think pose files were meant to be shared between different models despite whatever similar naming conventions are used. im surprised it even works lol. i always thought pose files were for tweaking one character.
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Actually pose files can be shared across models (hence the bone naming convention standard) but need tweaking. The armature movement parameters in XNALara are fixed and bone positions and angles differ per model, so adjustments are definitely needed. However, you can only get decent results if say, you use a pose for a T-posed model on another T-posed model because of XNALara's global axis. Using poses for a T-posed model on an A or X-posed model will produce some undesirable but hilarious results. :D Having adjuster bones further complicates things so I won't go into that right now.
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

cool marv, so pretty much you can share poses but most of the time they require tweaking? does make sense. as i know if even there is one extra bone in the skeleton it can throw off quite a bit. also depends on relative orientation of bones as well. as long as skeletons are "similar" i can imagine minor tweaks, but anything else hehehe...
iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Post by iheartibuki »

Yep. If we're talking about the same character with different costumes it usually means fewer tweaks (as long as bone names are the same), especially if there are differences in thickness in clothing or if it's absent in one of the models (say for example doing the typical hands in the waist poses). Why, you ask? Because sometimes with a bit of thickness in clothing your hands in the previous example would clip with the clothing unrealistically and there's no way to make meshes conform with the palm and individual fingers and thumb in XNA (except of course if you do it in Blender/Max, but even so the meshes on most of these characters are low poly compared to say, the Victoria figures from Daz). One of the things I like about some of the clothes created for Daz Studio is their ability to conform to whatever surface with very little to no clipping (with some adjustments of course) as long as they're made for that figure generation.

Anyway, you're also correct that poses will look nice or not depending on the relative orientation of the bones. The extra bones? It depends. If say, you have a model that only has a spine upper and a spine lower, and another with a spine upper, middle and lower, a pose from the former might look nice on the latter but posing that spine middle will give it a more realistic look. ;)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

shatin

Post by shatin »

Thank you so much for the very useful informations and get me one step closer to understanding a complexity of the model and mesh thing...so I guess I back to tweak so more...lol. :)