Some questions

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

jon_dd

Some questions

Post by jon_dd »

Hi, I've been lurking this forum for a few months but never really had questions until now. This one should be an easy one but I can't seem to find a straight answer I can understand. So I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating? Anyway here goes.

A model I downloaded is missing the "root hips" bone for some reason. I could try to contact the author and wait for him/her to fix it, but I feel it would be useful thing to know how to add one myself since I see this happen with some models. Of course the question is how can I do this? I've never done any modding or rigging myself (just a few texture cleanups) so I don't really know what to do. I have Blender downloaded, and... that's as far as I got. Can someone explain a bit? Or point me in the right direction. Either way I'd appreciate it!
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Re: Some questions

Post by thePWA »

jon_dd wrote:Hi, I've been lurking this forum for a few months but never really had questions until now. This one should be an easy one but I can't seem to find a straight answer I can understand. So I don't know, maybe I'm underestimating? Anyway here goes.

A model I downloaded is missing the "root hips" bone for some reason. I could try to contact the author and wait for him/her to fix it, but I feel it would be useful thing to know how to add one myself since I see this happen with some models. Of course the question is how can I do this? I've never done any modding or rigging myself (just a few texture cleanups) so I don't really know what to do. I have Blender downloaded, and... that's as far as I got. Can someone explain a bit? Or point me in the right direction. Either way I'd appreciate it!
Actually depends on the model as some XPS models have this notoriously ugly feature (well for me anyways) that HIDES the skeleton when you export them from XPS and try to import them with the old blender scripts. If those models you downloaded were from sticklove I'd suggest sending a message to the porter to ask for this modification help.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!
jon_dd

Post by jon_dd »

Oops, I forgot I made this thread. Uhh... no, the model didn't come from sticklove, it was Blufan's old SC4 Ivy model and I haven't seen Blufan doing anything for a while now. Anyway I managed to find a solution that didn't involve adding bones, but I'd still be interested in knowing how sometime. Even if it's a method that doesn't work for everything, having any method at all to try can help.

Here's a new question though: I'm guessing someone here already knows about the bug in XPS where the specularity of models gets lost when you try to combine models and save them as a generic item. I found a helpful tutorial on "restoring" the specularity by editing the ascii file, but what bothers me about that is I'm just guessing on the values that were lost, and often the model looks off from how it originally was. Is there a simple method to get the specularity back to what it was in the original model (or even a way to not lose it)?
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

Oh, so that's what that is... I never really looked further into it after I saw that one time. I noticed something like that too taking a model from xnalara to xps to remove seams. When taken back to xnalara the lighting was really off. If it's just the spec that's off you should be able to just take the mesh ascii and copy over the mesh names, which contain the specular values. I never had time to check to see if xps had modified the normals or not, which would also cause a change in the lighting as well.