XPS New Features

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

iheartibuki
Custom Rank: Fappy Bird

Re: XPS New Features

Post by iheartibuki »

I have them all. :evillaugh:

Ok I'll send her to you. :D

BTW, this new feature will be very useful for occluding this:

Because the diffuse looks like this:

;)
"TheyÔÇÖre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken."

RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

So basically, this allows you to have 2 UV maps on any mesh part you want?

lol I don't get it even when it's explained. Explanation for n00b b00b ppl like me? :D

EDIT: I REALLY don't get this. :XD:

I'm trying to, but I just can't. Test model anyone? :D OhwaitIquitXNALarabutstill
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here
PoophairJones
Custom Rank: Baebsae

Post by PoophairJones »

Hope it's okay that i answer this here but i kind of explained it to the author himself so i guess i could help with questions regarding this

Here's the test Environment model i used on the explanation in the journal: http://dfiles.eu/files/pv8q9zrfe
(The environment was ported by Runa, it's a great port and easy to understand so it should work okay as a example)

If you load the .mesh or .mesh.ascii file with the ''load generic item'' function in XPS you'll see the shaded model with baked AO maps, just like we usually do for characters. You can compare it to the .obj model, which is the original model without shading.

When you load the .mesh.ascii model into Blender, go to edit mode on the 'container' mesh and open the UV/Image Editor. You will see the UV perfectly matching the diffuse. However there are more than one container, so if you'd bake a AO map like this it will most likely screw up because there are multiple objects casting shadows on the different containers.

Usually you would need to split the mesh per container and bake a AO map for every single one of them to avoid shading problems. On bigger environments it would mean hell of a lot work and i doubt anyone wants to bake hundrets of AO maps for any model at all.

With the new feature of having two UV layers you can just create a new UV map without actually destroying the old one. (If you'd simply create a new UV map for the containers the whole diffuse wouldn't display correctly on the mesh anymore)
You do that by adding a new UV layer. I like to compare UV layers to the layers you can have in image editors like Gimp or PS. Whatever you do on the new layer does not affect the other layer. This means you can create a UV map that does not overlap at any place for all containers at once and get a perfect baked AO map.

To illustrate what i just said and to explain here are two images that sum up the Blender part:

The red marked part tells you that you are displaying the first UV layer right now. A look in the image editor tells you that the diffuse is just perfect on this UV layer, but since evry Container overlaps it is not possible to bake a proper AO map like this.

The red part here shows that you are now displaying the second UV layer. I created that by pressing the blue 'New' button. After you did that the UV map will not be Unwraped yet. You need to press U in edit mode and i usually chose the settings on the end of this image: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/ ... 6qgcj7.jpg
It will create a not directly beautiful UV but this one will not overlap at any place. Means you can bake a AO map that won't have any shading issues.

Last step to make it work in XPS is here:

Note that only AO and Spec maps have support for two UV layers yet. Diffuse and Normal map will be loaded forced on UV layer 1. So logically this feature will only work with render groups that have AO and/or Spec maps.

PS: Thanks to semory again for the epic Deus Ex scripts :D Can finally port these damn models properly xD
PS2: You guys also gotta love the upcoming new feature =) Esp for those damn DOA models with their 500887858 bones^^
Last edited by PoophairJones on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
semory
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Kitty pu tu tu lay!

Post by semory »

cool, thanks for the information angela, can't wait to see some ports using this new feature.
raidergale
Porter
Custom Rank: Marie's my waifu kthx

Post by raidergale »

Thank you very much for that explanation, it'll be useful :P
.:Someone:. wrote:PS2: You guys also gotta love the upcoming new feature =) Esp for those damn DOA models with their 500887858 bones^^
And this is quite interesting too :pi:
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

... REPARENTING?! :P
Maybe not.. :P
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
raidergale
Porter
Custom Rank: Marie's my waifu kthx

Post by raidergale »

Nope, you can read on dA that it's a way to easily pose stuff like hands etc...
If you double click a bone you'll rotate that bone and each of its parented bones at the same time, allowing you to create an easy fist pose, for example :XD:
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Oh, wow, nice feature! I should probs move over to XPS :P Or at least try out these new features.
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
RoxasKennedy
Porter
Custom Rank: ßâÜ(ÔòÑ´╣ÅÔòÑßâÜ)

Post by RoxasKennedy »

I think I may have understood this more now. Thanks Angela! :D

I will try this out on my Kingdom Valley model, but since I quit XNALara for a bit, it will take a while.

But yeah, I always wanted to improve my scenery porting! I know it can be used on regular models like Adam Jrnsen one. Actually, this may work on those Bone models :D
Hey guys, Marlboro-Chan here