How to make Specular Maps like This

General discussion and questions about XNALara go here.

Moderators: ObscureMemories, Runa, Love2Raid

Lim1tD
Custom Rank: Porter

How to make Specular Maps like This

Post by Lim1tD »

I was wondering how to make specular maps like this; specifically for the Arkham Origins Models.

or

Thanks.
Last edited by Lim1tD on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Re: How to make Specular Maps like This

Post by Love2Raid »

I have zero experience with porting from this game, but you might want to check the blue channel of the normal map texture and/or the alpha channel of the diffuse texture. It's not uncommon that spec maps are stored there.
Lim1tD

Post by Lim1tD »

Love2Raid wrote:I have zero experience with porting from this game, but you might want to check the blue channel of the normal map texture and/or the alpha channel of the diffuse texture. It's not uncommon that spec maps are stored there.
OK I'll try that.

EDIT: Hmm that didnt seem to do anything.
Lim1tD

Post by Lim1tD »

I really want to know how to make specular maps like the examples i've shown.
Love2Raid
Custom Rank: w

Post by Love2Raid »

Those weren't made, those were taken from the original game files. You just need to figure out where they are stored. It would be better if you asked anyone who has ported something from this game directly. Not everyone will notice this thread. :think:
Lim1tD

Post by Lim1tD »

Love2Raid wrote:Those weren't made, those were taken from the original game files. You just need to figure out where they are stored. It would be better if you asked anyone who has ported something from this game directly. Not everyone will notice this thread. :think:
The original game specular map files looks like this:

It's really weird, it looks more like mask maps.
Dazzy
Site Admin
Custom Rank: WestAllen best ship.

Post by Dazzy »

Those you just posted are mask maps. I cant remember where i found the spec map (the one you used for the first example) but it could have been stored in one of the extra textures layers (stuff like mask maps etc)
All I wanna do, is come runnin' home to you, come runnin' home to you.
And all my life I promise to, keep runnin' home to you, keep runnin' home to you.
Runa

Post by Runa »

Sometimes the specular is hidden in the mask map indeed, or at least this is what I noticed with another game (I don't really remember which one). As Love2Raide said, try to check the channels, see if there is any alpha with the effect you're looking for, or if the blue channel looks a bit similar...
"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be."
thePWA
Porter
Custom Rank: JOSHAUAGES v2.0

Post by thePWA »

Lim1tD wrote:
Love2Raid wrote:Those weren't made, those were taken from the original game files. You just need to figure out where they are stored. It would be better if you asked anyone who has ported something from this game directly. Not everyone will notice this thread. :think:
The original game specular map files looks like this:

It's really weird, it looks more like mask maps.
Those are masks. BAO specs (or my ports) are customized from the several textures that are not diffuse or normal. Its all about the channels.
Stop! Waitaminute! Fill mah cup with some liquor in it!